Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegas has Reds' Over/Under for wins at 78.5

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Vegas has Reds' Over/Under for wins at 78.5

What say ye? Would you take the over or under? Give me the over baby.

BTW, if you go by the odds, we're picked to finish third in the NL Central

1. Chicago 87.5 (over/under)
    2. Milwaukee 84.5
    3. Cincinnati 78.5
    4. St. Louis 76.5
    5. Houston 74.5
    6. Pittsburgh 69.5

Other notables:

The highest over/under for wins is 93.5 and four teams are tied at the top (Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees, Mets).

The Dodgers are tied with the Cubs for second-best in the NL with an O/U of 87.5 wins.

The Baltimore Orioles are expected to be the worst team in MLB with an over/under of 65.5.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Vegas has Reds' Over/Under for wins at 78.5

I like the under on Milwaukee
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If the Reds can stay within five games under .500 by July then I could see this team topping 80 wins. Reasoning being because by July I think some of the young guys will start picking it up and the team will go on a nice little run.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Yankees will be under that mythical 93.5.

Mets should be at or over 93.5

Red Sox should be at or over 93.5

The Tigers may have a great lineup, but who's going to pitch that team to 93.5 wins? Mark me for an under on them.

Chicago should be over 87.5
    When it comes to the Reds, 78 is a number I easily see, but I also see the potential to finally become a .500 team, at best. So I'm torn. The Reds could also be a 75 team. 3rd place in the division is the absolute best I see for the Reds.

I have the Tigers winning the 2008 World Series. Their offense could score 950 runs. Carlos Guillen, Placido Polanco, Edgar Renteria, Miguel Cabrera, Gary Sheffield, Curtis Granderson, Magglio Ordonez. Sheesh. Talk about a star-studded lineup. The pitching is not quite as good as the offense but I still think it's good enough for them to win a bunch of games. Verlander is an ace at the top. Bonderman has good stuff and should return to his 2006 form if healthy. I like Dontrelle's chances of having a good year considering the league change. The Tigers have shown that they are willing to go and make the team better, so count on them to go out and acquire another starter in July if they need it.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Is it me or are the Astros a little underrated? No question they have a lot of holes, but 74 wins? They still have a very good big four of Lee, Berkman, Tejada and Pence to carry the offense and have an ace at the top of their rotation in Oswalt. A lot of holes after that, but they at least look like a solid club. But everyone is prediciting this rebuilding year for them. I just don't see it but would love to be wrong. I've always hated the Astros. I don't think they will have a winning record by any means, but I might have to take the over here.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'd so take the under on the Astros. That is going to be one bad baseball team.

BD where did you see the over/under odds?

Usually Vegas.com has the over/unders but all I see posted now are the Pennent and World Series Futures odds

http://www.vegas.com/gaming/futures/nlpennant.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Is it me or are the Astros a little underrated? No question they have a lot of holes, but 74 wins? They still have a very good big four of Lee, Berkman, Tejada and Pence to carry the offense and have an ace at the top of their rotation in Oswalt. A lot of holes after that, but they at least look like a solid club. But everyone is prediciting this rebuilding year for them. I just don't see it but would love to be wrong. I've always hated the Astros. I don't think they will have a winning record by any means, but I might have to take the over here.
    I don't think so. I'd guess 74 is an absolute best case scenario. I'm thinking they'll be more like 68-69.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Over.

I went and got one of those crystal balls on the black market yesterday. 80-82 is how it shakes out this year.

The Astros are going to be pathetic this year.

They interviewed Roy Oswalt on ESPN Radio yesterday... they asked him, who's going to pitch on the four days between your starts?

He was like, "Ummmmm.... good question... Woody Williams... Brandon Backe???"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Man Pills

The under on Milwaukee
    The over on Chicago
    The over on Cincy

How many games do you think the Reds will win, FCB?

Where will they finish in the NL Central?

Very interested to hear your take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    How many games do you think the Reds will win, FCB?

Where will they finish in the NL Central?

Very interested to hear your take.
    I think the Reds could win 80-81.

I imagine the Brewers will be around that same number, 80-81. I think the Cubs will win 88-89 games.

As usual, the Vegas line looks pretty much in line with what a smart chap would guess. I trust the informed intuition of thousands of betting folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I would definitely take the under on the Astros. Yeah Berkman, Lee, Pence, and Tejada form a solid offense, but the pitching is going to be awful. They have two good pitchers on the roster: Roy Oswalt and Jose Valverde. Wandy Rodriguez is decent but nothing to brag about. The Astros, along with the White Sox, have the worst farm system in baseball. This is an organization is desperate need of rebuilding mode. If I were them I would deal Oswalt and Lee and maybe Berkman and try to rebuild the farm system.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

You know, I'd love to see how Vegas sets their over/under. I imagine there's a regression to the mean effect relative to the actual record projections due to betting forces.

1. Chicago 87.5 - Over
    2. Milwaukee 84.5- Over
    3. Cincinnati 78.5 - Over
    4. St. Louis 76.5 - Under
    5. Houston 74.5 - Under
    6. Pittsburgh 69.5 - Under
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?