Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign 16 Year Old Outfielder Juan Duran

Re: Reds Sign 16 Year Old Outfielder Juan Duran

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Price of doing business. I think the Reds are trying to establish a new name for themselves in the DR, and this is one way you do that. Even if the kid doesn't make it, the team will still gain rank among those who find/purvey talent down there.
    Im not saying its a wrong move Dont take me saying its a lot of money as me saying its the wrong move.

2. Turn Off Ads?

wow. really awesome job by the scouts/FO on knowing the rules and targeting a player with this type of talent. Bust or no, the thinking is spot on.

6-6, 195 at age 16? He may be a mutant.
    Raisel Ghul, the Demon's Head

Someone teach him to pitch while we are at it

Reds spent about that much on the disaster that was Alejandro Diaz ($400,000 to Hiroshima Carp, $1.6mill to Diaz). It took years to recover from it, but most of that was because Bowden refused to budget properly.

Sounds like he won't even make the States for a year. What can you do with $2mill in the Dominican? That boy is going to have a LOT of new friends

I think this is a great move, you don't have a second round pick so you sign a guy people believe would be a first rounder. Who cares if its 2 million dollars, the Reds are showing they are willing to spend money. Do you guys think the recent Latin American prospects traded for guys Johan Santana have influenced clubs to spend more in the international market? If he plays any this year he will be a Top 100 guy because of his bonus and his age/potential.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Reds spent about that much on the disaster that was Alejandro Diaz ($400,000 to Hiroshima Carp, $1.6mill to Diaz). It took years to recover from it, but most of that was because Bowden refused to budget properly.

Sounds like he won't even make the States for a year. What can you do with $2mill in the Dominican? That boy is going to have a LOT of new friends
    I'd rather see Duran get that money than Mike Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    So young
    Kid's probably really 20.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

it's interesting that the Reds were the only team bidding, and they still exceeded last year's standard. They must have REALLY wanted to keep him off the market.

I seem to recall that Marquis Grissom's age made him eligible for the draft one year, and that the Expos were the only team aware of it. the Expos snatched him in Rd 3 that year. But I could be misremembering.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

No telling whether the kid will be worth the money when all is said and done, but I always like to see the Reds out-fox and out-hustle the competition. A big tip of the cap to those guys.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

I like the move, but let me ask you a question. If the kid was faking his age, don't you think he would have faked it so that he could have signed in the last signing period?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The article in post #35 says Duran had a huge growth spurt this past year, which means his age is probably legit.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

but I always like to see the Reds out-fox and out-hustle the competition.
    tip the cap to ownership too -- they provide the coin
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Jay Bruce just got passe

Bring On Juan

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The article in post #35 says Duran had a huge growth spurt this past year, which means his age is probably legit.
    Lets hope he stays at 6'6". I can't think of many OF 6'7" or taller. They could always move him to 1B but that would be a waste of his apparent speed.

Turn Off Ads?