Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Micah Owings to DH for himself this spring

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Micah Owings to DH for himself this spring

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnered=rss_mlb

And then there's the case of pitcher Micah Owings.

One of the things Melvin said he will "tinker" with this spring is where to hit the right-hander on days he pitches.

Owings, who hit .333 with four homers and 15 RBIs in 60 at-bats last year, will serve as the team's designated hitter and bat eighth in Sunday's split-squad game against the White Sox at Tucson Electric Park.

"It's a good way to get him some at-bats in a game where he's not pitching," Melvin said. "His next start I think I've got him scooted up a little bit as well,"

Melvin declined to say just how far up in the order he planned to hit Owings, but during the regular season, he doesn't plan on hitting him in the middle of the order and is more likely to hit him higher than ninth when the team is at home rather than on the road.

That's because at home he will be on the mound for the top of the first and so if he hits in the bottom of the first it won't alter his pregame routine. If they are on the road and he has to hit in the top of the first it might make him rush his warm-ups a bit or otherwise throw off his routine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Micah Owings to DH for himself this spring

You can't DH for youself, can you? If you're pitching and you want to be in the lineup I'd say your position in the box score would read P, not DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You can't DH for youself, can you? If you're pitching and you want to be in the lineup I'd say your position in the box score would read P, not DH.
    Yeah. He's still the pitcher in the book. The DH is never a mandatory position, just an optional one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You are correct. In MLB and the minors, the DH can only hit for the pitcher, and if the pitcher hits for himself, enters the game as a replacement runner for the DH, or takes the field at a different position, the DH is eliminated for the remainder of the game.

However, in the college game I think it is possible for the starting pitcher to also be the DH. I think Washington State used to do that with John Olerud--he started at 1B on days that he didn't pitch, but when he started on the mound he also served as the Cougars' DH. He would then stay in the game as the DH even after Wazzu went to the bullpen.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Technically your guys are right - you can't DH for yourself - but I see this as step in the direction which has been rumored from the Dbacks all season. That Owings may Pinch Hit and play some 1B on days he doesn't pitch. Melvin has denied it all off season, then does this - just curious that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    You are correct. In MLB and the minors, the DH can only hit for the pitcher, and if the pitcher hits for himself, enters the game as a replacement runner for the DH, or takes the field at a different position, the DH is eliminated for the remainder of the game.

However, in the college game I think it is possible for the starting pitcher to also be the DH. I think Washington State used to do that with John Olerud--he started at 1B on days that he didn't pitch, but when he started on the mound he also served as the Cougars' DH. He would then stay in the game as the DH even after Wazzu went to the bullpen.
    Owings and Brian Bogusevic both used to do it their last year at Tulane.

Ben Diggins used to also do it at Arizona when I was there. It happens quite a bit in college ball.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Owings and Brian Bogusevic both used to do it their last year at Tulane.
    As did Michael Aubrey during his first two years at Tulane, where he pitched then played in the field during his off days.

Owings was a monster with the bat in college, and if last year was no fluke the D-Backs have a real decision to make with him. If he can hit over .300 with some pop for an entire season, you almost have to make him an everyday player at that point.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?