Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: My live draft results from last night:

  1. #1
    Member Buckeye33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    2,410

    My live draft results from last night:

    7x7 10 team league. 5x5 stats +BB and K on offense and losses and HR allowed in pitching.

    We start C-1B-2B-SS-3B- 3 OF-UTIL- MI

    1. (4) David Wright 3B
    2. (17) Carl Crawford OF
    3. (24) Mark Teixeira 1B
    4. (37) Manny Ramírez OF
    5. (44) Chone Figgins 2B,3B,OF
    6. (57) Troy Tulowitzki SS
    7. (64) Nick Markakis OF
    8. (77) Félix Hernández SP
    9. (84) Matt Cain SP
    10. (97) Todd Helton 1B
    11. (104) Brett Myers SP,RP
    12. (117) Hideki Matsui OF
    13. (124) Dustin Pedroia 2B
    14. (137) Matt Capps RP
    15. (144) Joba Chamberlain RP
    16. (157) Brian McCann C
    17. (164) Dustin McGowan SP
    18. (177) Jeremy Hermida OF
    19. (184) Carlos Mármol RP
    20. (197) C.J. Wilson RP
    21. (204) Edwin Encarnación 3B
    22. (217) Frank Thomas Util
    23. (224) George Sherrill

    Starting pitching and pitching in general dominated more in the early rounds than I thought it would. I stuck somewhat to my strategy and waited till the 8th round to take a pitcher and waited quite awhile to take a closer.

    Offensively I believe my season hinges on Manny coming back and being a 35-110 guy.

    I am light on starting pitching, but feel I can always pick up some guys to get me some wins throughout the year. of course, Joba could start 15 times in the second half and help there.

    I may look to move Crawford for a stud SP and OFer.

    Anyway, let me know what you think and what you'd do to improve my pitching.
    Matta = Really good

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,311

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    7x7 10 team league. 5x5 stats +BB and K on offense and losses and HR allowed in pitching.

    We start C-1B-2B-SS-3B- 3 OF-UTIL- MI

    1. (4) David Wright 3B
    2. (17) Carl Crawford OF
    3. (24) Mark Teixeira 1B
    4. (37) Manny Ramírez OF
    5. (44) Chone Figgins 2B,3B,OF
    6. (57) Troy Tulowitzki SS
    7. (64) Nick Markakis OF
    8. (77) Félix Hernández SP
    9. (84) Matt Cain SP
    10. (97) Todd Helton 1B
    11. (104) Brett Myers SP,RP
    12. (117) Hideki Matsui OF
    13. (124) Dustin Pedroia 2B
    14. (137) Matt Capps RP
    15. (144) Joba Chamberlain RP
    16. (157) Brian McCann C
    17. (164) Dustin McGowan SP
    18. (177) Jeremy Hermida OF
    19. (184) Carlos Mármol RP
    20. (197) C.J. Wilson RP
    21. (204) Edwin Encarnación 3B
    22. (217) Frank Thomas Util
    23. (224) George Sherrill

    Starting pitching and pitching in general dominated more in the early rounds than I thought it would. I stuck somewhat to my strategy and waited till the 8th round to take a pitcher and waited quite awhile to take a closer.

    Offensively I believe my season hinges on Manny coming back and being a 35-110 guy.

    I am light on starting pitching, but feel I can always pick up some guys to get me some wins throughout the year. of course, Joba could start 15 times in the second half and help there.

    I may look to move Crawford for a stud SP and OFer.

    Anyway, let me know what you think and what you'd do to improve my pitching.
    I think you have a lot of upside on your staff. True that you could use a sure thing anchor, but you might have one of those in Cain/Felix/Myers. Also I really like McGowan.

    Unless you were bowled over, I would keep Crawford. I would look to deal Figgins if you think you have excess speed and you definitely want another starter.

  4. #3
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    That draft looks pretty solid at first glance , although I am not very familiar with those settings. I think you got a lot of good value in the middle of the draft. The only pick I disagree with was the Dustin Pedroia move :thumbdown
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  5. #4
    Member Buckeye33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That draft looks pretty solid at first glance , although I am not very familiar with those settings. I think you got a lot of good value in the middle of the draft. The only pick I disagree with was the Dustin Pedroia move :thumbdown
    I agree I took Pedroia to early. I should have waited a round and could have got Orlando Cabrera for my MI spot but oh well. He'll score 100 runs, and hit .290+ with some decent RBIs.

    I believe my best value was getting Markakis in the 7th round and Matsui in the 12th.

    Having Ks and BBs as offensive categories is interesting. Those two stats put Helton as much more valuable than in normal 5x5 leagues, but right now I think I'll start Matsui in my UTIL spot.
    Matta = Really good

  6. #5
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    I'm pretty sure Brian McCann in the 16th round was your best value...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    Pedroia isn't a bad pick. He'll help in the K, BB, AVG, and Runs category.

    You don't have enough power in RBI and HR. I would normally say you should get rid of Crawford but then you might not win SB. Matsui has a bad leg, and I really think he's going to struggle this year because of it. It's still hurting him from last year, and he had to try to rehab back in the US in the offseason. I might look to package him with Figgins and get back maybe around 30 steals, but more certainty in other categories. Figgins broke out last year with a .330 AVG, but that was his first time hitting over .300. He K's a lot, will hit 5 HR, and will only give you 60 RBI. I think his value is at his highest, along with Matsui. These are the two major weak spots. Lose some SB, maybe a little AVG, but you can gain a lot in HR and RBI. That's your best option.

    I wouldn't worry about the pitching too much, but that Loss stat really hurts Cain. The offense behind him is absolutly horrible. By relying on great RP, you should be able to get better in WHIP, ERA, Losses, HR allowed. As long as you each the minimum innings, that's actually a decent strategy because of more categories. The only category you would do bad in is Wins. Sometimes people believe Wins is a big deal and will sacrifice WHIP and ERA for more Wins. In this Case someone would Sacrifice ERA, WHIP, Losses, HR allowed for more Wins if they have mediocre SP.

  8. #7
    Member Buckeye33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    I went back over the draft last night to see where I may have screwed up and let someone go past that I shouldn't have.

    The one pick that I really regret is taking Crawford over Vlad. Coming back to me in hte 2nd round I was really hoping Ortiz made it to me and of course he went the pick before me. I then had a choice between Crawford, Vlad, and Sizemore. I really believe now that I should have gone with Vlad and take his .310-30-115 over Crawford.

    Oh well. I agree with you mlbfan, that I am lacking slighty in HR and RBI right now. I am of course hoping Ramirez rebounds and goes 30-115.

    I will probably be looking to package Crawford or Figgins with a bench bat (Matsui/Helton) to get a power OF bat.
    Matta = Really good

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    I wouldn't deal Crawford in your situation because he'll steal about 20 more SB than Figgins and help more in other categories. Figgins was amazingly flukish last year and his perceived value is high.

  10. #9
    Member Buckeye33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    2,410

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    I wouldn't deal Crawford in your situation because he'll steal about 20 more SB than Figgins and help more in other categories. Figgins was amazingly flukish last year and his perceived value is high.
    I agree that Figgins will not repeat last season, my only problem is that this league requires a MI spot, so if I trade Figgins I'll be lacking a MI since Pedroia would slide to my 2B slot.

    There were 3 teams that were pissed when I picked Figgins, so I should be able to move him. I'll be checking to see if anything worthwhile can get done before the season.

    Orlando Hudson, Mark Ellis, Felip Lopez, and Ryan Theriot are on the waiver wire.
    Matta = Really good

  11. #10
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    Small keeper league you did great , If it was a deep no chance you get that value so late.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  12. #11
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: My live draft results from last night:

    Love McGowan and Hermida late - and Tulo & Markakis at 6 & 7. I could see those guys being four potential keepers next year.

    McGowan is my big time sleeper for this year, and Tulo is probably better than all but 2 or 3 other SS right now.

    Sherrill & Wilson though - might want to keep a close eye, I could easily see those guys as out of Closer jobs by June.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25