Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Foxsports top rookies to watch in 2008

Foxsports top rookies to watch in 2008

8. Homer Bailey, SP, Reds

Entering 2007, Bailey was in a heated battle with the Yankees' Phil Hughes for the title of Best Pitching Prospect in Baseball. The bloom is off Bailey's rose a bit, but it shouldn't be. His troubles were exacerbated by a groin injury that kept him out for awhile, and besides, did you expect him to dominate at age 21? With Bailey's stuff, a small improvement in control could produce some big numbers this season. The Great American Home Run Park won't help Bailey, but he should be a solid starter.

7. Jay Bruce, OF, Reds

I've seen six comprehensive prospect lists for this season, and Bruce ranks first or second on all of them. I don't doubt that he's going to be great, but Dusty Baker is trying really hard to find someone else to play between Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. The Reds already have Ryan Freel and Norris Hopper, non-hitters who Baker says he wants to see play. Baker has also apparently pushed for Kenny Lofton and Corey Patterson as center field solutions, and I think former Dodger teammates Rick Monday and Pedro Guerrero are next on his call list.

If Bruce goes back to the minors, he'll probably put up such overwhelming numbers that the Reds have to bring him back, but in that case he'll have already missed a month or two for your fantasy team. If Bruce makes the Reds on Opening Day, he might be the best 2008 player on this list. I'm skeptical, so he stays here.

2. Joey Votto, 1B, Reds

I wrote in the NL Predictions that I thought Votto would be a better fantasy player in 2008 than Bruce or Bailey, and I still think that's the case. That shouldn't be a surprise, since I wrote the NL Predictions two days before writing this paragraph. (Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week!)

Votto's minor league track record suggests that he's a decent bet to hit 20-25 home runs and steal 15-20 bases right now. The only thing standing in his way is Scott Hatteberg, and if Dusty Baker starts Hatteberg over Votto on Opening Day, Reds fans should charge out of the stands with pitchforks and chase Baker back to the TV studio.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/7848926

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Foxsports top rookies to watch in 2008

Where can I get my pitchfork?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

So Dusty will be the reason the Reds underachieve this season? Thats news to Redszone.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Where can I get my pitchfork?
    Put down your pitchfork big guy. It's just a fantasy baseball article. This is what he had to say about his #3 guy, Geovany Soto, C.

I've said all winter that I'm going to jump early at Soto in drafts. His Pacific Coast League-MVP performance last year wasn't a fluke. His 20 homers are coming with a good-enough average, and, for a catcher, that's terrific. Buy, buy, buy.

My advice, try your best to get into this guys league.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I really wish that Fantasy Baseball write ups were posted in a Fantasy Board for Redszoners who care about it. At least put Fantasy in the title to let us know.

Your title makes me think this is mainstream Foxsports.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Put down your pitchfork big guy. It's just a fantasy baseball article. This is what he had to say about his #3 guy, Geovany Soto, C.

I've said all winter that I'm going to jump early at Soto in drafts. His Pacific Coast League-MVP performance last year wasn't a fluke. His 20 homers are coming with a good-enough average, and, for a catcher, that's terrific. Buy, buy, buy.

My advice, try your best to get into this guys league.
    Soto is a pretty good player from what I have seen of him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Maybe, but when scouts say that he's well rounded player, I'm thinking it may have more to do with his weight problems than his tools. You'll have to ask Doug though. He can speak to this better than I could ever hope to.

My original post lends itself more toward fantasy baseball. Lou Piniella has the reputation of having a defense/call a good game first attitude toward his catchers. He's less concerned about their offensive exploits and that's definantly something to keep in mind when drafting Geovany Soto early. One other thing, the PCL is a hitters league. Keep that in mind when looking at his stats as well.

Draft as you see fit and good luck.
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

--Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

My only problem with Soto is that his 2007 season sticks out like sore thumb versus the rest of his professional career. He had been a consistent 700-750 OPS guy in the minors from 2001-2006, and then erupted for a 1076 OPS last season. The question is does 2007 represent a genuine step forward in his skills or one fluke season?

Call me a skeptic, but I am going to go with primacy over recency and assume that 2008 will prove that his 2007 season was an outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    My only problem with Soto is that his 2007 season sticks out like sore thumb versus the rest of his professional career. He had been a consistent 700-750 OPS guy in the minors from 2001-2006, and then erupted for a 1076 OPS last season. The question is does 2007 represent a genuine step forward in his skills or one fluke season?

Call me a skeptic, but I am going to go with primacy over recency and assume that 2008 will prove that his 2007 season was an outlier.
    I've watched him play a couple times this spring and he looks like the real deal all around. we'll see, but I wish the Reds had someone like him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Maybe, but when scouts say that he's well rounded player, I'm thinking it may have more to do with his weight problems than his tools. You'll have to ask Doug though. He can speak to this better than I could ever hope to.

My original post lends itself more toward fantasy baseball. Lou Piniella has the reputation of having a defense/call a good game first attitude toward his catchers. He's less concerned about their offensive exploits and that's definantly something to keep in mind when drafting Geovany Soto early. One other thing, the PCL is a hitters league. Keep that in mind when looking at his stats as well.

Draft as you see fit and good luck.
    thanks for explaining, but I don't do fantasy baseball. The guy does have good catch and throw skills and he looked pretty good all around from the couple of games I saw last week. I didn't see much of him last year.

thanks for explaining, but I don't do fantasy baseball.
    I don't do it well.

The guy does have good catch and throw skills and he looked pretty good all around from the couple of games I saw last week. I didn't see much of him last year.
    I''l try to watch some Cubs games this spring and check him out. I've always liked to watch Yadier Molina behind the plate. At the plate, not so much.

Turn Off Ads?