Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain to me why Edison Volquez was a good sign?

Can someone explain to me why Edison Volquez was a good sign?

I don't see it...I just don't see it. The stats argue against me, and I just took another look at them and they arne't anything special! How can we say this guy has the starting job, it seems like he should have to compete for it!

How was this a good deal to trade Hamilton for him????

(STATS: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=6401)

Thanks....
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can someone explain to me why Edison Volquez was a good sign?

Who said he doesn't have to compete for a job?

And the Hamilton/Volquez deal has been argued and explained many times since it happend. Some people like it, some people don't. Search the threads. One spring appearance won't change anyones opinons, either.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

My friend, I would beg to differ. The stats ARE something special, and so is his stuff. I love Josh Hamilton and wish him all the success in the world, but if you can get a pitcher with this much upside and potential for an injury prone outfielder with a history of drug problems, you do it every time.

Hopefully the deal works out on both ends.

scouts
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Mid 90s fastball.... check.
    Devastating change up..... check.
    Average curveball..... check.

Trading him for a drug addict with a history of injury problems and solid platoon type numbers is a problem how?

Take a look at his minor league numbers, they are pretty darn good.

What I don't get is, where does the friggin injury prone come from?

It was a terrible deal when it was made and it is still a terrible deal. The Reds will be lucky to get a dependable set up reliever out of Volquez. The Rangers tried to get Volquez to advance to the next step and he just didn't do it.

And outfield of Dunn, Hamilton and Bruce would have been sweet for years to come.

If you are going to part with any one of these three, as was so much trumpeted all winter, you better get one helluva pitcher. Volquez is far from one helluva pitcher. Seems like Hector Carrasco part duex to me.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post

It was a terrible deal when it was made and it is still a terrible deal. The Reds will be lucky to get a dependable set up reliever out of Volquez. The Rangers tried to get Volquez to advance to the next step and he just didn't do it.

And outfield of Dunn, Hamilton and Bruce would have been sweet for years to come.

If you are going to part with any one of these three, as was so much trumpeted all winter, you better get one helluva pitcher. Volquez is far from one helluva pitcher. Seems like Hector Carrasco part duex to me.
    The last time Josh Hamilton played a full season was in high school.

As for Volquez, just wait and see. I won't convince you, but I think that he will in given time.

How do you come to that conclusion? I don't think anyone has seen enough of Volquez to determine whether or not he's not going to make it. And maybe "injury prone" isn't the correct term for Hamilton, but I don't see how one can't have concerns about his durability.

Again, if Josh can stay clean and injury free, he'll have a hell of a career. But that's a big if in my opinion. This team has had no shortage of promising outfield prospects for years... what we haven't had is promising arms.

He suffered knee, leg and back injuries in the 2-3 years right after he was drafted and missed a bunch of time. That was BEFORE he spent three years strung out on heroin, coke and anything else he could get his hands on.

Last year, he missed a week or two because of his stomach, missed more time because of his knee, missed time after hurting his hand in the on-deck circle....I mean, do you really think that this is a guy who will get healthier as he gets OLDER?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Rangers tried to get Volquez to advance to the next step and he just didn't do it.

Seems like Hector Carrasco part duex to me.
    You must be looking at the stats of someone else.

Look at them again.

He dominated at AA last year, and advanced and dominated at AAA.

Absolutely dominated.

He then came to the majors and pitched pretty good in 6 starts.

I consider myself a baseball fan first and a Reds fan second so I do follow many teams and watch many teams besides the Reds. It just seems that Reds fans think that hitting is what wins championships. Reds fans think the off season should be spent looking for as many home run hitters and .300 hitters as possible with the other focus being on more "nice guy" Sean Casey types to fill out the roster. Once the bats and "nice guys" are on the roster then any time thats left can be spent on looking for pitching.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Hamilton asked to be traded, and the Reds gave him his wish to be with the Narrons. Be glad they got anyone of value for him.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I don't see it...I just don't see it. The stats argue against me, and I just took another look at them and they arne't anything special! How can we say this guy has the starting job, it seems like he should have to compete for it!

How was this a good deal to trade Hamilton for him????

(STATS: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=6401)

Thanks....
    Your looking at a small sample size of 80 IP at the Major League level and nothing else?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Hamilton asked to be traded, and the Reds gave him his wish to be with the Narrons. Be glad they got anyone of value for him.
    Sorry Sava, but have you got a link for that?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Hamilton asked to be traded, and the Reds gave him his wish to be with the Narrons.
    Got a link?

Everything I've read has Hamilton stating how grateful he'd always be to Cincinnati for giving him the opportunity to start anew in the Big Leagues, a la Brandon Phillips.

I hope to be proven wrong in a big way....but I think the Reds fans will regret this trade in a Robinson like way 5 years from now.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?