Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Murcer's tumor malignant

Senor Votto

Murcer's tumor malignant

Sad to hear.

Murcer's tumor malignant

By MIKE FITZPATRICK, AP Baseball Writer
    January 10, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- The tumor that was removed from Bobby Murcer's brain during surgery last month was malignant.

"As we begin a new year, I find myself facing a new challenge -- the biggest of my life so far. Pathology reports have revealed that the brain tumor removed was malignant," the former New York Yankees star said Wednesday in a statement.

"I'm not having to battle this alone, but am fortified with the most loving family, an abundance of wonderful friends and fans and the very best class of physicians. I'm gaining confidence that with God and my faith leading the way, we will as a team put up an incredible fight. Please continue to send up prayers. That's all I can really ask of you at this time."

The 60-year-old Murcer, now a Yankees broadcaster, had surgery in Houston on Dec. 28 and returned home to Oklahoma last week. He was scheduled to travel back to Houston this week to consult with doctors at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

"Bobby Murcer represents the spirit of the Yankees, and above all, he's my dear friend," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement released through spokesman Howard Rubenstein. "I know Bobby very well. He has true grit, is a fighter and our entire Yankee organization offers our prayers to him and his family for a big win in this battle."

The tumor was discovered following an MRI exam on Christmas Eve after Murcer had been having headaches and feeling a loss of energy.

Murcer played 17 seasons in the major leagues from 1965-83 and was a five-time All-Star and a Gold Glove-winning outfielder. He batted .277 with 252 home runs and 1,043 RBIs with the Yankees, San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs.

Murcer has won three Emmy Awards for live sports coverage as the voice of the Yankees.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Murcer's tumor malignant

TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) -- A brain biopsy showed that New York Yankees broadcaster Bobby Murcer does not have a recurrence of cancer, the team announced Wednesday.

In December 2006, Murcer began experiencing headaches and a loss of energy and subsequently was diagnosed with brain cancer on Christmas Eve after an MRI exam revealed a malignant tumor.

On Friday, the New York Daily News reported that another MRI revealed a new area of concern, prompting Monday's biopsy.

In an emotional e-mail, Murcer's wife, Kay, told the Daily News that it would be either necrosis (scar tissue) or another cancerous tumor. It turned out to be the former.

"We received great news this morning," Bobby Murcer said Wednesday in a statement released by the Yankees. "The biopsy revealed scar tissue. It showed no signs of cancer. We are very excited about this news. It's what we hoped for all along."

Murcer said he was checking out from the Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and returning to his home in Oklahoma.

"I plan on resting at home over the next few weeks and focusing my energy on returning to the Stadium for its final Opening Day," he added.

Murcer had surgery four days after the cancer was discovered in 2006, but made it back to the Yankees' broadcast booth for last season's home opener.

Murcer, 61, played with the Yankees from 1965-74 and again from 1979-83. He has been a popular broadcaster with the team since his retirement in 1983.

Murcer also played with the San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs during a 17-year career.
    http://areyouwatchingthis.com/mlb/news/54667

Re: Murcer's tumor malignant

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

AWESOME NEWS. I have a few of his baseball cards. Best wishes to him.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?