Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotation Battle

Rotation Battle

I thought I would create a thread to keep track on how the various starting pitchers are doing so far. Here goes:

Volquez: 1 game, 16.20 ERA(ouch!), 2 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, 1 walk, 1 strikeout

Bailey: 1 game, 2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1 hit, 2 walks, 1 strikeout

Affeldt: 1 game, 4.50 ERA, 2 IP, 3 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 1 strikeout.

Belisle : 1 game, 0.00 ERA, 2 IP, 3 hits

Cueto: 1 g, 4.50 ERA, 2 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 2 strikeouts

It is still early, and anything could still happen. I will attempt to update it through spring training. I will attempt to create a similar thread for relievers in the next couple of days.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rotation Battle

Its really way too early. All 3 of our young guys have had 1 strong inning and 1 bad inning just based on the audio.

I'm writing off Volquez with his 16.20 era.

Good idea for a thread. You should start one for the pen too. IMO - everyone except Cordero and Weathers should be in that one

What about adding Fogg to the starters or are you assuming he's a lock?

Affeldt has been a ground ball machine this spring. I think out of the 15 outs hes recorded 10+ have been ground balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Affeldt has been a ground ball machine this spring. I think out of the 15 outs hes recorded 10+ have been ground balls.
    Good to hear. He's had solid ground ball tendencies over his career, that should help him alot in GABP. Here's to hoping it's from the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Good to hear. He's had solid ground ball tendencies over his career, that should help him alot in GABP. Here's to hoping it's from the bullpen.
    If he continues with how hes pitching and starts to trust his change up like he said he did today we could have a solid starter on our hands.

If he continues with how hes pitching and starts to trust his change up like he said he did today we could have a solid starter on our hands.
    Yeah maybe so. I think we really need him in the pen though, especially if Bray is gonna miss time, so I'm hoping the other rotation candidates do really well and Affeldt gets pushed down to the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Yeah maybe so. I think we really need him in the pen though, especially if Bray is gonna miss time, so I'm hoping the other rotation candidates do really well and Affeldt gets pushed down to the pen.
    Yea if he continues how hes doing I hope to see someone in that bullpen step up. Either way Affeldt has some promise.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Good idea for a thread. You should start one for the pen too. IMO - everyone except Cordero and Weathers should be in that one

What about adding Fogg to the starters or are you assuming he's a lock?
    Fogg hadn't started a game yet, so I did not add him. I will add him when he does.

Has Cueto or Volquez started a game yet?

Has Cueto or Volquez started a game yet?
    Volquez has started 1 game. Cueto hasn't, I may have been premature in adding him this early. Affeldt had a good start today. 3 IP,1 hit, 1 run, 1 earned, 2 walks, and 1 strikeout to lower his ERA to 3.60. Correction, Volquez still has not started a game.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 03-03-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Volquez has not started any games

All those guys are being pitched like they are starting though. Even though they havent actually started a game doesnt mean much.

IMO only Affeldt and Harang have had anything even remotely close to being considered a "start".

Other than that, they've been pitching like relief pitchers, 1-2 inning stints. Actually, it's more like pitching for an All-Star game.

When the real games start - where a pitcher goes 3+ innings, then get back to me.

Until then, you can all put down your "Never should have traded Josh Hamilton for Volquez" ammunition.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Unless he has a serious tback, I think Affeldt is a lock for a spot in the rotation.

His change-up was spot on today, and as noted he's a ground-ball machine.

Plus, it appears Dusty wants to "mix in" a lefty in every series, almost as much as he wants to split up lefties in the Batting Order.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?