Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rotation Battle

Re: Rotation Battle

Im kinda on the Affeldt bandwagon

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Belisle, Bailey , and Affeldt are the only ones to start so far(in limited action,true). Fogg hasn't started yet, and may end up in the bullpen. That could all change down the line, but for now I would imagine those three to bring up the back end of the rotation.
    Nobody has really STARTED a game, you are REALLY trying to read too much into the first week of ST games. Pitchers are going 1-2 innings, doesn't matter if it's the 1st innning, the 3rd, or the 5th.

Fogg will get his shot at "STARTING" a real game.

Harang has pitched extended innnings, and did so on the day lined up to get him ready for the Opening Day game START.

IMO, Affeldt is in the lineup, and it's going to be between Volquez and Fogg for the remaining starting job. I think it's Volquez's to lose, for PR more than anything - "WE TRADED JOSH HAMILTON FOR A BULLPEN ARM!!"

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Old Red Guard Reject

Update:
    ERA IP H R ER HR HBP BB K
    Affledt 3.60 5.0 4 2 2 0 0 2 2
    Fogg 1.80 5.0 3 1 1 1 0 2 4
    Bailey 0.00 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 2 1
    Cueto 4.50 2.0 4 1 1 0 0 0 2
    Volquez16.20 1.2 2 3 3 0 1 1 1
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

part of BBN

So how is everyone feeling about Belisle so far?
    I still have my doubts but I hope the fella takes that step.
    I heard someone say they expect him to take a Harang-like step.Myself, I doubt that but I do think he should have a sub 5 ERA.

Affeldt is looking good though I still say we need him more in the pen as of right now.

Fogg looks good but he is the kind of guy, that I think you know what got regardless of ST. Decent but not real good.

Bailey/Cueto/Volquez too early to tell.

I think some of us are jumping on or off certain pitcher's bandwagons way too soon. Let's wait a little longer before we annoint the starting five.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    I think some of us are jumping on or off certain pitcher's bandwagons way too soon. Let's wait a little longer before we annoint the starting five.
    Ahhhh! sanity returns. I will be there, 14th through the 20th, catching at least 3 games, (gotta' allow beach time to ogle young babes on Spring Break), and hope to see some of the ?'s pitch meaningfully.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    My opinion of Belisle has nothing to do with his outing today but merely an opinion I have had thru the winter.
    However while it is early, some of these guys are getting their chances right now.
    For example, Maloney probably hurt his chances big time saturday.
    Not because exactly of his outing but rather his falling behind nearly every hitter. I believe he could be a decent pitcher but he had an outside shot at the rotation as others do and one bad outing though ST, could be all Dusty needs.
    Coutlangous is another that hurt his chances with two bad outings to start with.Plus Dusty brought him in twice with purpose of getting lefty which he didnt do.
    Teams won-loss records in ST mean nothing but there is obvious pitching competition this season.
    While a Cueto rough outing doesnt mean he wont help the reds this season, it could mean not at beginning though.

Quote Originally Posted by NDReds9 View Post
    Best 5 in terms of talent?
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Volquez

What will the rotation be?
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Fogg
    Affeldt
    IMO, the rotation and the entire opening day roster will NOT be made up of the best players but by those that are out of options and large contracts. I would love to see Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and Roenike push some of the others out. But, I don't see it happening.

Another update:

Affeldt 0-1, 3.60 ERA, 2 GS, 5 IP, 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO

Bailey 0-0, 3.60 ERA, 2 GS, 5 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs, 2 ER, 3 bb, 3 so

Belisle 1-0 6.75 ERA, 4 IP, 6 hits, 3 runs, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO.

None of these can truly be considered real starts, but it gives us an idea of how they are doing in spring training.

C. Trent:

"Dusty postgame:

The umpires told me both those guys (Bailey and Volquez) were throwing good. He told me Volquez was showing a live arm. That makes the changeup better.

That's who I ask. I remember years ago I was a coach and an umpire told me Terry Mulholland is going to be a heck of a pitcher. A lot of times I'll be out there having a long conversation and now you know what we're talking about. They see the movement and how batters are fooled.

He had strike 1, he kept the ball down. He had a good mound presence. He's looking better every time he goes out there, that's what you want.

Homer was very good today on pitch conservation. He was getting strike one, keeping it down and keeping the leadoff man off the plate. "

Turn Off Ads?