Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robertson supposedly a Bengal:Sources: Bengals send picks to Jets for Robertson

Robertson supposedly a Bengal:Sources: Bengals send picks to Jets for Robertson

I guess everyone should wait to be sure but here is what is being reported.

"Sources: Bengals send picks to Jets for Robertson

By Michael Smith
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)
    Updated: March 3, 2008, 12:42 AM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    The New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to terms on a trade that would send defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's fourth- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 114 and 151) in the upcoming draft, according to league sources.

Robertson
    Completion of the trade is contingent upon Robertson agreeing to a new contract -- he had two years remaining on his rookie deal with New York -- and passing a physical, though neither is expected to hold up the deal, which could be finalized as early as Monday.

On Friday the Bengals had a deal in place to acquire Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks, but that trade fell through when it did not meet league approval. The Lions then traded Rogers to the Bengals' in-state rivals, the Browns, for a third rounder and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

In Robertson, 26, the Bengals, hoping to improve a defense that has ranked higher than 27th in yards allowed once in the past five seasons, will get a player who isn't as big or as dominant as Rogers has been in his first five season. But Robertson is just as hungry for a fresh start. Robertson, 6-foot-1 and 310 pounds, should be a better fit as a penetrating "3-technique" tackle in Cincinnati's 4-3 scheme than he had been in the Jets' 3-4 the past two years.

In an interesting twist, the Bengals will have on their roster two of the first four picks in the 2003 draft. In fact, Cincinnati selected quarterback Carson Palmer first overall that year from among a group of four finalists that also included Robertson, whom Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis (along with many other personnel evaluators) is said to have loved coming out of the University of Kentucky.

Robertson will be the fifth interior defensive lineman to be dealt for at least one draft pick since Friday, joining Corey Williams (Packers to Browns), Kris Jenkins (Panthers to Jets), Marcus Stroud (Jaguars to Bills) and Rogers. Some do not consider the 2008 draft to be deep at the defensive tackle position, thus several teams have decided to instead spend pick on a veteran.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com."

Robertson is not as dominant as Rogers can be, but he's younger and cost the Bengals less in picks. Hopefully a new start and a return to a better fitting 4-3 scheme (if they stay with that) will help him out.

I'm really hoping the Bengals can get Calvin Pace to visit and somehow get him signed. He would be a great fit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Robertson supposedly a Bengal:Sources: Bengals send picks to Jets for Robertson

I can deal with it but that means we are staying 4-3. He also has much less baggage

Re: Robertson supposedly a Bengal:Sources: Bengals send picks to Jets for Robertson

just a 4th & 5th round pick?

If so that sounds like a good deal as hes supposed to be better fit for a 4-3 defense and not a 3-4 defense like the Jets run.

He was great at Kentucky. We still get our 3rd rounder now... we shall see... ::fingers crossed::

Wish we could make some sort of move on the FA market for another d-lineman.

Or linebacker.

We could still draft Dorsey or Ellis.

Even though Robertson has been a disappointment with the Jets he is still an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Slight upgrade to Thorton...zzzzz.

Oh BTW the deal isn't official yet and Robertson's agent is denying the trade altogether.

Also giving up a 4th and 5th rounder is actually pretty pricey by today's standards. The Bengals' probably look at it, as two picks they don't have to pay, and can stash some money away in the trunk of Mike Brown's 1986 Lumina, when everyone forgets about that, and Hobson will be forced to quote the same rookie pool amount on Bengals.com, as if they drafted in every round.

Although, they'll get compensatory picks this year, so this isn't too much to give up for an average DT ultimately.
    Last edited by CrackerJack; 03-03-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post

Oh BTW the deal isn't official yet and Robertson's agent is denying the trade altogether.

Also giving up a 4th and 5th rounder is actually pretty pricey by today's standards. The Bengals' probably look at it, as two picks they don't have to pay, and can stash some money away in the trunk of Mike Brown's 1986 Lumina, when everyone forgets about that, and Hobson will be forced to quote the same rookie pool amount on Bengals.com, as if they drafted in every round.

Although, they'll get compensatory picks this year, so this isn't too much to give up for an average DT ultimately.
    Hes more than a slight upgrade. Hes not a NT that NY has been playing him at, and a switch to 4-3 will help him a lot.

Robertsons agent isnt denying the deal he said its premature. Which pretty much means they havent worked out a contract yet.

Actually for a former 1st round pick thats 26 years old id say 4th and a 5th is a lot better price than a 3 and a 5 for a 30 year old to be guy with tons of extra baggage and already has faced 1 4 game suspension from the league.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post

DR has been stuck playing NT for the Jets basically clogging the middle. I think he'll look significantly better as a DT in a 4-3. I think alot of others agree as well.

If you had told me at the end of last year that the Bengals would be in the mix for Robertson and Odom I would have called you crazy. All these deals are obviously in the infancy stage but it is nice to hear the Bengals are trying to upgrade the D.

Imagining both Ellis and Robertson on the front line makes me salivate.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The Bengals actively addressing a need?

I'm shocked.

IF they pull off this deal.

IF they sign Odom.

and IF they draft an Ellis type....

This D-line could go from bad, to very good.

IF this D-line does become good, then the LBs are better because they can do more. The secondary gets better because the QBs and RBs are scrambling to get away from pressure.

The defense suddenly is better across the board and can allow the offense to play better.

A few simple moves could change the Bengals into a serious contender in a hurry.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I guess I'm still wondering why Robertson's such an upgrade to Thorton? Because he went to UK?

I could actually see Robertson being a good 3-4 DE/DT - as that look is more of what the Bengals may be going to.

I also think there's little chance of getting Ellis in the draft, and Odom is a trade-off for Justin Smith - with a little better pass rushing ability (fine).

I just don't get too excited about anything the Bengals do - or haven't done yet in this case - many years of being a fan in my late thirties tells me to not do so.

WFAN is reporting the deal is done for a 4th and a 5th rounder, I will believe it when I see Robertson in uniform. Also Odom will visit Minnesota after us, bypassing his visit in Arizona. I imagine the Bengals offer to Odom will be fair but I expect the Vikings will over spend to get him.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Do the Vikings have unlimited funds??? They seem to be going crazy in FA, and they already have an expensive defense, IIRC.

Turn Off Ads?