Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you would get rid of

Re: Things you would get rid of

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    You get rid of those and some companies would have to close up shop.
    And what about Redszone?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    And what about Redszone?
    There are no crap-starters here. Surely you have this place confused with another site.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

That somehow I "hate the children" if I object to some facet to how those tax dollars are allocated.
    It comes from all sides who use it when it suits their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    That kinda logic is a quick way to get funding revoked for parks (I don't go there, why should my tax dollars support them?), mass transit (I own a car, why should I pay for buses?), services for mentally retarded individuals (I'm not related to anyone mentally retarded, why should I pay for services for them?), and any number of government services that benefit some but not all.
    Slightly different stuff there. I can sure get behind the idea of paying tax dollars for access to services like public parks, mass transit, etc. I can choose to use those or not. My call. And I can sure do my fair share for folks who legitimately can't help themselves.

But when the subject turns to the same percentage of my property taxes being used to fund education as the family across the street with four kids, then all I can say is, "Ante up, folks!" If they can afford to have 'em, then they need to be able to shoulder the burden of paying for their education.

I see the results daily of what happens when kids aren't in school. Trust me -- you WANT teenagers in school as much as possible. They do unbelievably stupid things when they have time on their hands.
    Oh, I understand completely. At the same time, I'm not suggesting a decrease in the amount of funding for schools. I'm only suggesting shifting the burden. Would that be a bit more painful for folks with kids than folks without? Sure. But in my eyes it should be.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Tax dollars paid for every one of us to go to school, public or private. In part I think of my contribution of tax dollars to schools as my own retroactive contribution. It's kind of like reverse social security in a way.

For all of its faults, the American education system is one of the strongest in the world and accounts for the country's economic success and international strength. In my opinion what we are paying for is not just textbooks, it's the foundation of this country's well-being, which very directly affects and benefits us all.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    It comes from all sides who use it when it suits their needs.
    Huh?

Sorry...have been in sales meeting all day and I'm fried....

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Huh?

Sorry...have been in sales meeting all day and I'm fried....
    He's right that a lot of groups will accuse people who oppose something of "hating" some other group that might benefit from what the first group is opposing. We can't discuss ideas any more. It's easier to accuse everyone of hating. If you vote against a school levy, you hate children, oppose the ideas of someone who is a minority and you must hate that group, etc.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Thanks, OldRightHander.

I just meant to add to Abner's point by saying it's done by both ends of the spectrum.

My original post was a bit more explanatory but I edited it out of respect for board rules.

I don't mind debate about school levies, whether they are good, bad, merited, needed, not needed, etc.... That's all good discussion and all the pros and cons need to be hashed out in public. All the issues need to see daylight.

Just my opinion, but I think schools do belong in the public domain just like parks, public transportation, fire, police, etc etc. You can choose to use the schools just like the rest of these publicly available services.

Locally speaking, they ought to put a plaque on a classroom in my name for the money I've pumped into local schools, both as a non-parent and parent.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Just my opinion, but I think schools do belong in the public domain just like parks, public transportation, fire, police, etc etc. You can choose to use the schools just like the rest of these publicly available services.
    Having no children, I can't choose to use public schools like I can other publicly available services.

The next time I'll be invited to a Parent/Teacher conference is exactly "never". So exacly why should I pay for other parents' kids schooling?

The answer always tends to be that we don't want kids out on the street, but if shifting the burden of expense to parents of kids who use public education produces an expected result of less children in school, haven't we actually identified the real issue?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Having no children, I can't choose to use public schools like I can other publicly available services.
    So you chose not to have or adopt children. I can choose not to ride public transportation or walk in the park. I don't mean to be thick, but I don't see the difference.

The big problem is that the US median income has essentially been flat since 1970. A disproportionate amount of the US economic growth during that time has gone to the 95th percentile and above. Property values (and hence, taxes and schools) have gotten skewed in a a similar way.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So you chose not to have or adopt children. I can choose not to ride public transportation or walk in the park. I don't mean to be thick, but I don't see the difference.
    There are light years of difference between having children versus taking a stroll in the local park. It makes no sense for me to acquire something I don't want (a child) in order to use a service I help pay for but currently can't use.

--Ted Williams

There are light years of difference between having children versus taking a stroll in the local park. It makes no sense for me to acquire something I don't want (a child) in order to use a service I help pay for but currently can't use.

You'll use it when all those kids are working adults paying for your Social Security.

To quote George Costanza, "We're living in a society here!"

The next time I'll be invited to a Parent/Teacher conference is exactly "never". So exacly why should I pay for other parents' kids schooling?
    Because other people's parents and lots of people without children paid for your schooling. If you went to college, they paid for a lot of that too.
    Last edited by pahster; 03-07-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Did you go to public schools SteelSD?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?