Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Patterson and Hairston to minor league deals

Reds sign Patterson and Hairston to minor league deals

From Fay:

Reds sign Patterson, Hairston

Minor league deals for both. Will update.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Patterson and Hairston to minor league deals

Nice. I was hoping to see Corey Patterson brought in, even better that it's a minor league deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    From Fay:
    As much as I think Patterson can really help this team as a 4th OFer, I have a bad feeling he may occupy the leadoff spot on Opening Day.

We can only hope that doesn't happen. It also could be another bad sign for Mr. Bruce's chance of making the opening day roster. Could be wrong I guess, but...

Enjoy AAA Mr. Bruce.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I loved Happy Hairston when he was teaming with Jerry West

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2008 leadoff hitter and starting CF: Cory Patterson.

HUHZAH!

Redszone is a lot smarter than I am. I had no clue Patterson meant Corey and I guess Hairston is Jerry Hairston Jr?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Yep, Dusty Baker is our manager.
    Last edited by reds44; 03-03-2008 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yep, Dusty Bakers is our manager.
    Multiple Dustys!?!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Patterson was in the Cubs`--and especially Dusty Baker`s--doghouse after a disastrous 2005, which meant the Orioles were able buy low, for a change, picking him up for two players (Nate Spears and Carlos Perez) who turned in awful seasons for the Cubs` High-A team in Daytona. Patterson is a former favorite of scouts and statheads alike, but he turned out to be one of those players who, at age 20, was about as good as he was ever going to be. The idea that the average player improves through his twenties to age 27 is mistaken, as that trend really only applies to the average major leaguer. What distinguishes a typical major leaguer from a typical minor leaguer is the ability to learn and improve. Patterson doesn`t have that talent, but his basic skills are good enough to keep him in the majors for years to come. Just keep him away from left-handed pitchers.

From BP

Reds sign Patterson and Hairston to minor league deals

1. Fine moves by Wayne. Especially Patterson. How can anyone be upset about a player signed to a minor league deal?

2. Patterson gives the Reds a good defensive centerfielder. If his role is spot starting and late inning defense ( with Bruce to RF & Griffey to the bench ) then it is a plus move for the Reds.

3. For people to assume this means Bruce starts in AAA is a bit of a leap.

AAA fodder I hope.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Redszone is a lot smarter than I am. I had no clue Patterson meant Corey and I guess Hairston is Jerry Hairston Jr?
    It must be Jerry, the other one's a Padre.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Acquired from the Cubs in the Phil Nevin bake sale, Hairston batted .206/.270/.253 between the two clubs. With his production plummeting like an elevator with a snapped cable, a career of similar longevity to his pop`s, Jerry Sr., seems increasingly unlikely. No speed, no power, no patience, no batting average, no defense, no point. Hairston was released after the season ended in order to make room for Mike Wood, an excellent indication of his current perceived value. Texas gave him a one-year contract to come back and try again.
    Also from BP....FWIW

Turn Off Ads?