Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Patterson and Hairston to minor league deals

Re: Reds sign Patterson and Hairston to minor league deals

Patterson is a LH Hitter. Perhaps there is something to the Hatte trade talk. Patterson offers better utilization on defense as a bench player. I think this is worse news for Dickerson who seemingly made a good impression than it is for Bruce. With Dickerson and Patterson available as LH Hitters, I could see Hatte being shipped out. I hope the Reds get a real relief pitcher for him if so. Patterson's mediocre power may play well in GABP.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Gotta believe this means a trade is in the works involving an outfielder, maybe Freel?
    Don't tease me.

Now that Patterson's in camp, that means one of, if not both, Hopper and Freel should be out the door. Although I have this lingering feeling that Hopper will be staying around, like that nasty case of athlete's foot that you just can't cure.

We've now created a surplus. Time to move some of our surplus in order to address our weaknesses.

Yuck to both signings. Hopper is capable of being the defensive replacement late in games.

Patterson has no business taking AB's from Bruce this spring. I'm disgusted.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think this is worse news for Dickerson who seemingly made a good impression than it is for Bruce.
    I thought the same thing.

However, if Wayne can add major league talent cheaply then he should do it. Depth is good.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Yuck to both signings. Hopper is capable of being the defensive replacement late in games.

Not sure. Hopper can't carry Patterson's glove IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post

Hopper is average at best defensively. In no way, shape or form, should he be the late in games defensive replacement.

Bruce is dealing with a day-to-day quad strain. The only ABs getting stolen in ST now are from Freel or Hopper, and that's not a bad thing.

Let Patterson prove himself, one way or another. He'll either prove he's still got it (defensively, and probably not so much offensively), or he'll prove that we're out a little bit on a minor league contract.

Competition is a good thing, especially when you have question marks waiting for a positive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I wonder what historians would rank as the best minor league deal ever.
    Well, the Reds minor league deal with Jose Guillen worked out pretty well, and netted us Harang.

Dmitri Young's minor league contract with Washinnati last season was a pretty good steal as well.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Louisiana purchase

I can't see what possible good can come from signing these two, are we recreating the 2005 cubs?
    Go Gators!

I would rather have Dickerson on the roster. I can say for sure Dickerson would post an OBP above .300, and he does everything else just as well or better than Patterson does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

February 1957, Chicago Cubs owner Phil Wrigley sold the Angels and their ballpark to Walter O'Malley, the Brooklyn Dodgers' owner, for $3,000,000 and the rights to the Dodgers' Texas League franchise in Fort Worth. This secured territorial rights to Los Angeles for the Dodgers, enabling their move to the city later that year.

Keep me rolling guy!

Its two guys signed to minor league contracts. They are the ones who have to come in and prove that they can play at the ML level when they didn't do that on a consistent basis prior.

Too much over analyzing and "reading into" going on.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Louisiana purchase
    I rank "Seward's Folly" better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    huh?
    You see, Dusty doesn't like it when hitters get on base but then aren't able to get home. Patterson wouldn't have that problem since he so rarely gets on base.

Quotes from Krivsky:
    "Patterson will come in and compete for the center field job," Reds GM Wayne Krivsky said. "Hairston is another versatile guy that can play infield/outfield. Patterson is 28 and Hairston is 31. They've got some experience, but we gave them no guarantees. They'll come in and compete."
    These numbers are just ugly:
    Patterson, a left-handed power-speed hitter, hit .269 last season in 461 at-bats with the Orioles. He had eight home runs with 45 RBI and 37 steals in 46 attempts. His on-base percentage was .304. He really came on after the All-Star break, hitting .313 when he became a full-time starter.

In 2006 Patterson hit .276 with 16 homers and 53 RBI with 45 steals in 54 attempts. His on-base percentage was .314.

Patterson is a former blue-chip prospect who came up with the Cubs and made his major-league debut as a 21-year-old in 2000. In his career, he has 168 steals, 94 homers and 329 RBI and is a .258 hitter.

Hairston, a right-handed hitter, also has Cubs ties, playing with them in 2005 and 2006.

He hit .189 last season with Texas in 159 at-bats. He played all the outfield spots and shortstop, second base and third base. He's a lifetime .253 hitter with a .325 on-base percentage in 2,534 at-bats since 1998 with 112 career steals.
    The fact that Hairston has played SS in the past gives him a shot to make the team. I really don't want CP being our starting CFer, because we all know that means he leads off. Just ugly.

On Lofton:
    "I'd rather not talk about individual guys," Krivsky said. "But we're pleased with the guys we have in right now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?