Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, Rosales. Dan O'Brien added more real value to this organization in two drafts than Krivsky, Jocketty, Baker etc. will ever add. The organization's biggest mistake in recent history, IMHO, was in failing to recognize O'Brien's ability to add real, long-term value. I had thought Krivsky was starting to make some progress in that direction (trading O'Brien value--Stevens for Phillips, Ward for Lohse for Maloney), but these latest moves just indicate he is back to wasting his time on the irrelevant. I predict Krivsky is within four months of the end of his tenure. If this team thinks it's going to be better by adding Corey Patterson and Jerry Hairston, there's not much future for it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    FACTS!

FACTS!

LIES!! There is no "injury" to Jay Bruce. It's just an excuse.

I'm taking wagers, all comers, all stakes. All you have to do to win is NOT have Corey Patterson batting lead-off the first game of the Reds regular season. ANYONE want to bet?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Top prospect Jay Bruce will be monitored day-to-day after he made an early exit from Sunday's game because of a mild left quadriceps strain.

You think the Reds invented a false quadriceps injury just so Baker could sign Patterson, BLEEDS? In any case, I will take the bet. It is a long shot for Patterson to make the roster, much less start in center field.

I think people need to calm down. Patterson is not the worst we could have gotten .

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Top prospect Jay Bruce will be monitored day-to-day after he made an early exit from Sunday's game because of a mild left quadriceps strain.

You think the Reds invented a false quadriceps injury just so Baker could sign Patterson, BLEEDS? In any case, I will take the bet. It is a long shot for Patterson to make the roster, much less start in center field.
    I know the story. It is very mild. Next thing you know, Dusty is concerned about him playing Center Field because of the wear on his legs, "it's a lot of running". He's not concerned bout Freel and his mis-reads, running all over the place and running into people and himself onto the DL, but a 20 year old kid has a strain and suddenly he can't play CF?

Dusty wanted Lofton/Patterson the millisecond after he signed the contract to be the Reds Manager. He likes what he knows, whether it fits or not, and the FO will use this to keep Bruce in the minors for as long as it takes to keep him and his Arb clock from starting.

Any other way to view this is simply being naive.

I'll take the bet. What's the wager?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

For reference:

"It's a couple of days," Baker said. "The one thing that makes yo a little weary is he's had this a couple of times and he's 20 years old. You've got to find a way to stop these minor leg problems before they become major. Its rare you have them this young. It makes you a little apprehensive as far as being a centerfielder, because in his career, that's a lot of running out there. We'll figure something out."

Uh-huh. Sounds SERIOUS. SERIOUSLY like someone looking for an excuse to not play a kid in Center Field.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    I think people need to calm down. Patterson is not the worst we could have gotten .
    nope Hairston is and then Neifi and THEN Patterson
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    nope Hairston is and then Neifi and THEN Patterson
    Amen brother. It's easy to tell who's seen Dusty in action before and who hasn't. (That sounds familiar; have I said that before?)
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Based on them trying to trade him last trade dead line id say the market for Dunn in a trade was small
    I don't think they were trying to trade him last year. Castellini was big on keeping Dunn and maybe the Reds weren't offered the "right players" for Dunn.

That's neither here nor there... Let's get back to our new leadoff hitter.

Patterson will probably be the starting CF
    get past his 5 tool past and look at what he is
    -an out machine...horrible OBP
    -unlike many other out machines...steals 30-40 bases
    -has some pop...+GASP= +20hr
    -plays a GREAT center feild and will dominate the small center at GASP

Bruce will play this year, griff will get hurt, or dunn or patterson...or he will just flat out rake and stay healthy in louisville until they can't resist

More good competition for a position of need...pretty strong up the middle...ross, gonzalez bphil and patt...always a good thing

lets not forget this is a minor league contract

bruce will play, not from day 1 and patterson will frustrate us to no end with his inability to make contact but at the end of the day will make us 5-10 runs better in CF and steal 30 bases, hit 15 hr and drive in 70...could be worse

one injury...thats all it takes, next year its all bruce, either griffey and or dunn will be gone and Bruce will DEF be playing somewhere other than CF

nice move on the cheap

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by gomuskies View Post
    Patterson will probably be the starting CF
    get past his 5 tool past and look at what he is
    -an out machine...horrible OBP
    -unlike many other out machines...steals 30-40 bases
    -has some pop...+GASP= +20hr
    -plays a GREAT center feild and will dominate the small center at GASP

Bruce will play this year, griff will get hurt, or dunn or patterson...or he will just flat out rake and stay healthy in louisville until they can't resist

More good competition for a position of need...pretty strong up the middle...ross, gonzalez bphil and patt...always a good thing

lets not forget this is a minor league contract

bruce will play, not from day 1 and patterson will frustrate us to no end with his inability to make contact but at the end of the day will make us 5-10 runs better in CF and steal 30 bases, hit 15 hr and drive in 70...could be worse

one injury...thats all it takes, next year its all bruce, either griffey and or dunn will be gone and Bruce will DEF be playing somewhere other than CF

nice move on the cheap

Very good post. Worst case scenario - he's an excellent pinch runner/defensive replacement OF. Best case - He puts up a .285/.330/.470/40 SB line which makes him a candidate to hold down CF with Bruce replacing Jr. in '09.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I'm having a hard time understanding why people say Patterson helps in the future. Dusty even said that.

Patterson is signed for 1 YEAR. His agent is Scot Boras. If he does good, that mean's he makes a lot of money and probably signs somewhere else. If he does bad, he hurts the team.

People have to realize that IF Patterson becomes some type of "steal" then he's taking time away from Bruce and will leave in 2009 since he's a FA. If he's bad, then he's hurting the team. People say he should be a replacement/bench player, but then who starts?

Quote Originally Posted by NDReds9 View Post
    It should.

Hairston would accept a minor league deal, but you know they told Patterson that he'd make the team.
    Both of these signings piss me off.

:thumbdown
    No, I didnt know they told Patterson that, as no one has said it. For you conspiracy theorists going crazy over this one right now, think about it, Dusty really seemed to want Lofton, but Lofton wouldnt sign a minor league contract, only major league. Well, if someone had been "promised" as you are implying they make the team, dont you think Lofton would have waived that?

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    For reference:

"It's a couple of days," Baker said. "The one thing that makes yo a little weary is he's had this a couple of times and he's 20 years old. You've got to find a way to stop these minor leg problems before they become major. Its rare you have them this young. It makes you a little apprehensive as far as being a centerfielder, because in his career, that's a lot of running out there. We'll figure something out."

Uh-huh. Sounds SERIOUS. SERIOUSLY like someone looking for an excuse to not play a kid in Center Field.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Or maybe he recognizes him as the biggest prospect right now, and doesnt want to screw up the next big thing for simple near-meaningless ST games?

Patterson > Hopper & Freel
    Hairston > Castro

I don't have a problem with either of these signings. Bruce may start out in AAA, but he's 20 years old. He's going to be the man for a long time.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    Patterson > Hopper & Freel
    Hairston > Castro

I don't have a problem with either of these signings. Bruce may start out in AAA, but he's 20 years old. He's going to be the man for a long time.
    Bruce>>>Freel = Patterson >= Dickerson > Hopper
    Keppenger>>>Rosales=Janish > Hairston >= Castro

Patterson would not normally be a such a big deal. I'd be fine with it if Bruce didn't exist. But Bruce is the best option in CF and all Patterson does is increase the chance Bruce is in AAA.

Hairston should be a non-issue because he just sucks. His OPS the past 2 years were .523 and .538. Castro the past 2 years were .632 and .447. Both these players don't deserve to be on a roster, and both are taking up at bats in ST that should go to other players. Janish has a career minor league .355 OBP. He's obviously a much better fielder than the other 2, but he isn't an automatic out in hitting. As long as he keeps his OBP above .320, thats fine from the 8th spot. Rosales is a very solid hitter, but a bad fielder. I'd say both are about equal at SS in this extreme tradeoff. But Keppinger is the best player of the group easily.

Turn Off Ads?