Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Per Fay
    Minor league deals for both. Will update

Hopefully Patterson will just be Bruce's backup or Triple A depth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Sadly, he's going to be the Opening Day centerfielder. Atleast it gives Bruce time to mature.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Please, please no. I hope they at least realize he is not a viable leadoff option. His career avg is .258 and obp is .298. What's this? Oh, I am now being told that Dusty Baker is the manager and he doesnt care. At least he plays good defense? (Fingers crossed).

Why is my initial reaction - where's the Tums?!?!

Patterson Leading Off
    Juan Castro batting Second

My head might explode.

Side effect: The Louisville Bats will be a VERY good team to watch, and are the odds-on favorites to win the International League.

WOW. Just. WOW.

I knew one side affect of Dusty Baker was the ability to attract Free Agents. I mistakenly thought it was going to be GOOD ONES.

Jay Bruce, please continue to hit .500 the rest of the Spring. You are our only hope.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I don't even have the time, or self-control (sitting at 80% warning level), to comment on the waste of space that Jerry Hairston brings. He makes Juan Castro look serviceable by comparison.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Its minor league deals Lets not get too worked up about it

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I agree with you. The idea of Patterson as a fourth outfielder is not a bad one. Id take him over Hopper in that role. The feelings of trepidation and fear that this move will surely provoke are understandable given Baker's past preferences. I would not be suprised to see Patterson in CF and be the first up against Brandon Webb a month from now. As for Hairston, he is truly a waste of space even on a minor league deal. He brings nothing to the table that any reds minor leaguer cant already provide in a superior fashion.

Sadly, he's going to be the Opening Day centerfielder

Dusty has been talking about this guy since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I agree. If it had been Kenny Lofton, I'd be happy. Right now, I'm sick to my stomach with the possibilities that present itself as possible futures, none of which are remotely good.

There is no UPSIDE to this, other than CP or JH having a "Victor Santos" Spring - and then Regular season.

Per Fay:

"Patterson will come in and compete for the center field job," Reds GM Wayne Krivsky said. "Hairston is another versatile guy that can play infield/outfield. Patterson is 28 and Hairston is 31. They've got some experience, but we gave them no guarantees. They'll come in and compete."

Translation, per BLEEDS:

"He will have to hit .100 before he doesn't win the starting CF Job".

Dusty Baker. Loves him some veterans. Likes "speed guys" who don't clog bases. Especially if they are ex-Cubs. WOW - that's exactly what Patterson is!!

Who cares if his career OBP is less than .300. Dusty Baker ain't no stat guy.

The best thing is - he's a Lefty, who can't hit Lefties to save his Life!! So, we have to keep Freel or Hopper as well to platoon with him.

Now please, someone talk me off this wall and give me some reasons to think this is a good thing?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see the roster decisions. Dusty's comments about his worry that Bruce is not physically capable of playing CF, plus this, however, is concerning.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I agree. If it had been Kenny Lofton, I'd be happy. Right now, I'm sick to my stomach with the possibilities that present itself as possible futures, none of which are remotely good.

There is no UPSIDE to this, other than CP or JH having a "Victor Santos" Spring - and then Regular season.

Per Fay:

"Patterson will come in and compete for the center field job," Reds GM Wayne Krivsky said. "Hairston is another versatile guy that can play infield/outfield. Patterson is 28 and Hairston is 31. They've got some experience, but we gave them no guarantees. They'll come in and compete."

Translation, per BLEEDS:

"He will have to hit .100 before he doesn't win the starting CF Job".

Dusty Baker. Loves him some veterans. Likes "speed guys" who don't clog bases. Especially if they are ex-Cubs. WOW - that's exactly what Patterson is!!

Who cares if his career OBP is less than .300. Dusty Baker ain't no stat guy.

The best thing is - he's a Lefty, who can't hit Lefties to save his Life!! So, we have to keep Freel or Hopper as well to platoon with him.

Now please, someone talk me off this wall and give me some reasons to think this is a good thing?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Great rant BLEEDS
    I like this one
    Hard to clog the bases from the dugout

In 2004, Patterson batted....
    1st - 55G - .261 .317
    2nd - 47G - .260 .310

In 2005 Patterson batted....
    1st - 29G - .211 .263
    2nd - 18G - .179 .220

In his Career....
    1st - 150G - .256 .299
    2nd - 170G - .255 .299

I really like this move. It gives this team much needed speeed at the top of the order.
    Check this link to see how much speed matters.....

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7201

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I'm going to reserve judgment until I see the roster decisions. Dusty's comments about his worry that Bruce is not physically capable of playing CF, plus this, however, is concerning.
    That wasn't coach-speak. Bruce will start the year in AAA. He is Junior's replacement, and will play RF, in 2009 or until Junior is traded or hits the DL in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Hard to clog the bases from the dugout
    it's funny because it's true.

All the Excitement and Hope that came along with the Cordero signing has now officially been spent.

Fogg helped a bit, but that was a minor bump.

It's pretty obvious the FO decided to sit on it's hands after Cordero and play for 2009 and beyond.

Too bad, because the NL Central was ripe for the picking.

Next up: Dunn NOT being signed to an extension, so we can start debating how great that is, since we can use that money to spend on FA pitching in 2009 (BWAHAHAHAH!!)

We are officially the Cubs of 2005. Just older, and with worse pitching.

While we're at it, might as well demote Joey Votto too - otherwise we won't be able to afford him along with Homer, Cueto, Volquez, and Jay Bruce when they all start hitting Arbitration - right when Harang, Arroyo, and BP are at the end of their deals.

Oh well, there's always 2015!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Last edited by BLEEDS; 03-03-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    In 2004, Patterson batted....
    1st - 55G - .261 .317
    2nd - 47G - .260 .310

In 2005 Patterson batted....
    1st - 29G - .211 .263
    2nd - 18G - .179 .220

In his Career....
    1st - 150G - .256 .299
    2nd - 170G - .255 .299

I really like this move. It gives this team much needed speeed at the top of the order.
    Check this link to see how much speed matters.....

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7201

Awesome!! Then, after we fire Dusty Baker in 2011, we can bring in Lou Piniella, who can then acquire Ryan Theriot and let him be our starting SS - and he can bat 2nd!

Who else would be qualified to keep with the "Old School" CF-SS 1-2 punch !!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Anyone want to play a game?

Turn Off Ads?