He really isn't very good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...ting&year=2007

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Here is last years stats
    He really isn't very good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...ting&year=2007

Norris Freakin Hopper had a higher SLG percentage!!

A .690 OPS - I can't even go there.

He did OPS .757 in 2006 though!! Norris Hopper OPS'd .758 last year...

STILL trying to find a silver lining...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

That wasn't coach-speak. Bruce will start the year in AAA. He is Junior's replacement, and will play RF, in 2009 or until Junior is traded or hits the DL in 2008.
    Actually, I would say that is coach-speak, but it means exactly what you say it does.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

You've got your health.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Norris Freakin Hopper had a higher SLG percentage!!

A .690 OPS - I can't even go there.

He did OPS .757 in 2006 though!! Norris Hopper OPS'd .758 last year...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Patterson is a very good fielder. He might be worth +1 Win in defense alone, where Bruce would be around +0 Win.

Patterson might overtake Dickerson's quote by Dusty "His ceiling may be higher than anybody here. When you see the speed, the arm, he could be a five-tool guy. He’s got the tools.” Bruce obviously doesn't have a higher ceiling than Dickerson.

I think the defense is worth more than any offensive production from Bruce, right? Why else would they get him?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    You've got your health.
    Not for long:

Looks like my Evil Twin works for mlbrumors.com

from mlbtraderumors.com

Reds Sign Corey Patterson
    According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds have signed 28 year-old center fielder Corey Patterson to a minor league deal. Patterson, a Boras client, makes for a surprising bargain with a dash of upside. He happened to reach free agency in an offseason with a center field surplus. He's reunited with former Cubs manager Dusty Baker, who some say mishandled Patterson at times. Fay believes this takes Kenny Lofton off the table for Cincy.

The Reds are calling it a center field competition, but Patterson will probably get the gig. This will allow the Reds to keep Jay Bruce in the minors until June and delay his future free agency by a year.

The Reds also inked another former Cub, Jerry Hairston Jr. He may have a hard time making the team, but his versatility could help.
    I'm off to my bar, where there's about to be a shortage of Gin and Tonic....

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Basically, I think that if Bruce is ready, they will start him in CF and he will leadoff. If not, then look for a Patterson/Hopper or Freel Platoon in CF. So basically, let's hope that Bruce is ready. I have a feeling that Dusty is not convinced, however.

Still a Patterson/Hopper platoon is not as horrible as everyone is making it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it, but it is not like the team is doomed to last place because of it. The Cubs and Diamondbacks went to the playoffs using Soriano and Chris Young as lead off hitters.

I also think that with Dunn and Griffey in the corners, it really would help to have a CF with some range.

How much money are we paying Dusty Baker?

Corey Patterson has gotten 3100 major league at-bats (that in itself is amazing). His career OBP is .298. With Hopper and Freel already here is no excuse for Corey Patterson to make the Reds, much less start.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Basically, I think that if Bruce is ready, they will start him in CF and he will leadoff. If not, then look for a Patterson/Hopper or Freel Platoon in CF. So basically, let's hope that Bruce is ready. I have a feeling that Dusty is not convinced, however.

Still a Patterson/Hopper platoon is not as horrible as everyone is making it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it, but it is not like the team is doomed to last place because of it. The Cubs and Diamondbacks went to the playoffs using Soriano and Chris Young as lead off hitters.

I also think that with Dunn and Griffey in the corners, it really would help to have a CF with some range.
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team. I'm tellin' ya, Dusty needs that speedy leadoff hitter, dude.

Young slugged almost 100 points higher than Patterson; Soriano 200; if anyone thought Corey was good for 30 homers it would help a lot.

I do agree he'll be helpful defensively. Man, the visiting Cub fans are gonna eat him alive though.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Dusty has said many things that infer he's against Bruce in CF.

- Saying he wants Patterson/Lofton before ST
    - Saying he wants to take it slow with Bruce's development, citing Patterson's struggles from coming up too soon.
    - Saying he wants Hopper or Freel leading off
    - Saying he was "experimenting" when Bruce finally played CF and lead off
    - Saying he has to be careful with Bruce in CF from all that running hurting his legs
    - Saying he thinks Dickerson could have the highest ceiling in camp.
    - Saying Bruce has to prove he can hit in batting cages before hitting in games

All of these things have been anti-Bruce. He's saying better things about Janish/Rosales/Dickerson/Gil/etc than he is Bruce.

What Patterson does is give Baker a "tangable" reason for putting Bruce in AAA. Now he can say Bruce isn't ready and Patterson is a great defensive and speedy guy, and get away with it. Baker won't have both Patterson and Bruce on the roster, and that's a fact. Krivsky, I would hope, would not let Bruce be a bench player.

From an outside look, Patterson is a low risk high ceiling move. But the only way for it to actually work would be if he made the team. That means Bruce starts in AAA.

Does anyone here think Patterson is better than Bruce? I think everyone says No, right? Then that means the Reds don't field the best possible team to compete in 08.

Why did we trade Josh Hamilton if this was going to happen? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Why did we trade Josh Hamilton if this was going to happen? I don't get it.
    Hamilton was traded b/c the Reds were to heavy with Lefty bats and it cost them games last year, there was no market for Dunn and Griffey has no trade clause.

It seems to me that with the injury to Bruce, there is nothing wrong with signing Patterson to a minor league deal. It does not mean Bruce will start at AAA, or that Patterson will make the 25 man roster. It does mean there is a good chance Dickerson will start the year at AAA. Corey Patterson has some good points and bad points. He can play good defense in CF, and has the ability to steal a base. The rest of his offensive numbers are pretty pathetic, however, and I do not see him as anything other than a late-inning defensive replacement.Now lets all stop drinking the evil and back away from the cliff.

It is clear that Baker and/or Reds front office have no intention of letting Bruce open the season in Cincy.

Turn Off Ads?