Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 116

Thread: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

  1. #31
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,711

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team. I'm tellin' ya, Dusty needs that speedy leadoff hitter, dude.

    Young slugged almost 100 points higher than Patterson; Soriano 200; if anyone thought Corey was good for 30 homers it would help a lot.

    I do agree he'll be helpful defensively. Man, the visiting Cub fans are gonna eat him alive though.
    That actually is my point, they are not leadoff hitters. SLG is not that meaningful in a leadoff hitter. I was only comparing them as leadoff hitters, and none of the three get on base near enough to be leadoff hitters.

    The only thing hopeful about the Patterson signing is that he seemed to play better the second half of the season when he was hitting second. Krivsky told C.Trent that the Reds scout thought that he had really found his stroke then. Maybe the scout is right.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,711

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It seems to me that with the injury to Bruce, there is nothing wrong with signing Patterson to a minor league deal. It does not mean Bruce will start at AAA, or that Patterson will make the 25 man roster. It does mean there is a good chance Dickerson will start the year at AAA. Corey Patterson has some good points and bad points. He can play good defense in CF, and has the ability to steal a base. The rest of his offensive numbers are pretty pathetic, however, and I do not see him as anything other than a late-inning defensive replacement.Now lets all stop drinking the evil and back away from the cliff.
    Thanks Amarillo Red Very wise words.

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It seems to me that with the injury to Bruce, there is nothing wrong with signing Patterson to a minor league deal. It does not mean Bruce will start at AAA, or that Patterson will make the 25 man roster. It does mean there is a good chance Dickerson will start the year at AAA. Corey Patterson has some good points and bad points. He can play good defense in CF, and has the ability to steal a base. The rest of his offensive numbers are pretty pathetic, however, and I do not see him as anything other than a late-inning defensive replacement.Now lets all stop drinking the evil and back away from the cliff.
    So the Reds will carry Patterson AND Bruce AND Hopper AND Freel? The Reds are lefty heavy with Hatty/Valentine as backups. I'd guess Freel/Hopper are backups/platoons in the OF.

    Patterson making the team = Bruce in AAA. The Reds won't keep 3 backup OF on the roster. Patterson would get most of the playing time because he's a lefty facing RHP. And because he's a speedy CF, he'd bat leadoff or 2nd.

    Here's the point. If he's a replacement, who starts in CF? Will Dusty give Hopper/Freel At bats against RHP when Patterson could play?

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Thanks Amarillo Red Very wise words.
    I'd like you or anyone else to answer this,
    "Does anyone here think Patterson is better than Bruce? I think everyone says No, right? Then that means the Reds don't field the best possible team to compete in 08."

    And also answer this,
    "Here's the point. If he's a replacement, who starts in CF? Will Dusty give Hopper/Freel At bats against RHP when Patterson could play?" Why would Baker carry both Patterson and Bruce?

    For those who say it's a minor league deal and it doesn't mean he's on the roster. Why add him when the only way for it to be a "good move" would result in Bruce playing in AAA?

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,370

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    You are all jumping the gun by claiming that this move means Bruce starts in AAA. It is a minor league deal, and it was made in case Bruce's injury is worse than first thought. Hamstring injuries can be nagging, as we have all seen in the case of Ken Griffey Jr. Bruce, Hopper,Freel,Patterson and Dickerson will all be given an equal chance to win the starting CF job, and the rest will be sent to AAA and/or serve as back-up outfielders. The only way Patterson will be given the starting job over Bruce will be if he out-plays him in spring training, and in that case Patterson should be the starting center fielder. Now let's all watch the games, and see how Bruce's injury progresses and how the center field roster battle progreeses. I will have further feedback further down the line.

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    273

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    I'm not jumping off the cliff because I always try to stay positive this time of the year but this pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for our hopes of Bruce roaming center field on opening day. The thing that worries me the most about this is that we're returning to fielding older very mediocre vets on the major league club while some of the best prospects sit in AAA. This probably isn't the Reds year, I realize that and also see the reasoning with arbitration clocks and all that crap but if we're gonna lose, I wanna see the young guys fighting it out, not a washed up vet take away valuable learning experiences from our close to ready young players.

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,370

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11 View Post
    I'm not jumping off the cliff because I always try to stay positive this time of the year but this pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for our hopes of Bruce roaming center field on opening day.
    It is only a nail in the coffin if Bruce's injury is a serious one.

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Im new around here but do people normally flip out this much during spring training?

  10. #39
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,711

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    I'd like you or anyone else to answer this,
    "Does anyone here think Patterson is better than Bruce? I think everyone says No, right? Then that means the Reds don't field the best possible team to compete in 08."

    And also answer this,
    "Here's the point. If he's a replacement, who starts in CF? Will Dusty give Hopper/Freel At bats against RHP when Patterson could play?" Why would Baker carry both Patterson and Bruce?

    For those who say it's a minor league deal and it doesn't mean he's on the roster. Why add him when the only way for it to be a "good move" would result in Bruce playing in AAA?

    Yes, Corey Patterson's mother, maybe.

    But seriously, you are assuming that Patterson will be the everyday CF for the Reds for all of 2008. The signing happened hours ago, lets first see what transpires before jumping to conclusions. That is why I think Amarillo's comments were wise.
    There are many different ways this could play out. Patterson could end up a part of a platoon, or just as the fourth outfielder, or not make the team at all. If you know about Cubs history, he and Dusty did not get along, so who knows what will happen. Also, Patterson could start the season as the Reds CF, but just as a place holder until the team is confident about Bruce. That might only be a month.

    Patterson makes a nice fourth outfielder, and it is premature for anyone to assume that he will take Bruce's spot this year. It is a good move if that happens.

    And if Patterson makes the team, that means someone is getting traded.

    And to be honest, it is not Patterson, Hopper or any other CF who truly is holding Bruce's spot. It is Griffey. Bruce will be the Reds Right Fielder for years to come, starting in 2009.

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,370

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Im new around here but do people normally flip out this much during spring training?
    There is a great deal of concern about the lineup decisions our new manager will make. That is perfectly understandable, given his past history of preferring veterans over prospects.

  12. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    There is a great deal of concern about the lineup decisions our new manager will make. That is perfectly understandable, given his past history of preferring veterans over prospects.
    I can understand some concern but people are jumping out thinking that Bruce will never see the majors as long as dusty is in town, that Votto will be a bench player by the end of the year and Edwin will be armless and legless.

  13. #42
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by RSNtransplant View Post
    Hamilton was traded b/c the Reds were to heavy with Lefty bats and it cost them games last year, there was no market for Dunn and Griffey has no trade clause.

    Dunn has a no trade clause. Griffey is a 10-5 player. No market for Dunn?

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Dunn has a no trade clause. Griffey is a 10-5 player. No market for Dunn?
    Based on them trying to trade him last trade dead line id say the market for Dunn in a trade was small

  15. #44
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,855

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Signing both of these guys to minor league deals does not make me angry....yet.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    45

    Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Signing both of these guys to minor league deals does not make me angry....yet.
    It should.

    Hairston would accept a minor league deal, but you know they told Patterson that he'd make the team.

    Both of these signings piss me off.

    :thumbdown


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25