Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I know the story. It is very mild. Next thing you know, Dusty is concerned about him playing Center Field because of the wear on his legs, "it's a lot of running". He's not concerned bout Freel and his mis-reads, running all over the place and running into people and himself onto the DL, but a 20 year old kid has a strain and suddenly he can't play CF?

Dusty wanted Lofton/Patterson the millisecond after he signed the contract to be the Reds Manager. He likes what he knows, whether it fits or not, and the FO will use this to keep Bruce in the minors for as long as it takes to keep him and his Arb clock from starting.

Any other way to view this is simply being naive.

I'll take the bet. What's the wager?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

How about this: If I win, you refrain from using any capital letters for a year, and/or stop posting peace at the end of every post. I imagine you can come up with a comparable wager if you win.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Bruce>>>Freel = Patterson >= Dickerson > Hopper
    Keppenger>>>Rosales=Janish > Hairston >= Castro

Patterson would not normally be a such a big deal. I'd be fine with it if Bruce didn't exist. But Bruce is the best option in CF and all Patterson does is increase the chance Bruce is in AAA.

Hairston should be a non-issue because he just sucks. His OPS the past 2 years were .523 and .538. Castro the past 2 years were .632 and .447. Both these players don't deserve to be on a roster, and both are taking up at bats in ST that should go to other players. Janish has a career minor league .355 OBP. He's obviously a much better fielder than the other 2, but he isn't an automatic out in hitting. As long as he keeps his OBP above .320, thats fine from the 8th spot. Rosales is a very solid hitter, but a bad fielder. I'd say both are about equal at SS in this extreme tradeoff. But Keppinger is the best player of the group easily.
    You're right. I don't disagree. I just look at this as improving our bench. Bruce should be the guy day 1, but it probably won't happen. When it does, he's there to stay. Until then, Patterson > Hopper/Freel, Hairston>Castro < Kepp (hopefully).
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Old Red Guard Reject

It can be reasonably speculated that come hell or high water Dusty is going to start a vet and Bruce will be in AAA until someone gets hurt. With that assumption, who would you rather have: Patterson, Freel or Hopper?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    How about this: If I win, you refrain from using any capital letters for a year, and/or stop posting peace at the end of every post. I imagine you can come up with a comparable wager if you win.
    That's a steep one. I need to find something comparable.

Okay, how about you can't post any links, url's, cut and paste jobs from any other sites or sources to Redszone. That will curtail about 75% of your posts. Only your original ideas can be made to be posted, and that includes no butt-kissing posts from ORG members threads. That cuts out about another 10%.

You'll never make it to the ORG then, and I know that is your biggest dream in life.

Then, you must change your signature to read "I WILL NEVER DOUBT BLEEDS' SUPERIOR INTELLIGENCE AGAIN".

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Old Red Guard Reject

What's the bet?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post

Quiet you, you don't have the guts to make a wager. Just question opinions, refute them, then refuse to take a side.

Otherwise though, this is a very informative and qualitative post, that really brings something of value to the entire board.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Quiet you, you don't have the guts to make a wager. Just question opinions, refute them, then refuse to take a side.

Otherwise though, this is a very informative and qualitative post, that really brings something of value to the entire board.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I was rolling my eyes at your childish ramblings. I dont want to get dragged into your little games again.

Here would be the depth chart in CF, IMHO: Bruce, Hopper, Freel, Dickerson, Patterson (though I'd be tempted to move Jr. back to CF and start Rosales in right if all these other guys went down). So why have we signed Patterson except that he is one of Dusty's veteran types?

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    It can be reasonably speculated that come hell or high water Dusty is going to start a vet and Bruce will be in AAA until someone gets hurt. With that assumption, who would you rather have: Patterson, Freel or Hopper?
    Hopper
    I think Freel lost that job last year even before he got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    What's the bet?
    The bet is over whether Patterson will be the Reds opening day center-fielder. I post a lot, and no one can deny it. I also do have a tendency to post too many links, and cut-and -paste too often, and I will be cutting back in that respect in the future anyway.You simply had to send me a PM if you wished me to curtail my activities in that respect. I will admit 1 year is a bit long, so I will reduce the period to 3 months. I don't think you could reasonably be expected to go longer than that in using capital letters.

As for ORG, I will concede right here and now that I have applied and been rejected by them 3 different times. I simply try and make the most intelligent posts I can, and let the results speak for themselves. I have always respected you as a member, although you have a history of being unneccesarily harsh to other members in your posts, especially Bip Roberts.
    I sincerely hope you will cut that back in the future, and I think the Sun Deck will be a more pleasant place to post in the future.

The bet is over whether Patterson will be the Reds opening day center-fielder. I post a lot, and no one can deny it. I also do have a tendency to post too many links, and cut-and -paste too often, and I will be cutting back in that respect in the future anyway.You simply had to send me a PM if you wished me to curtail my activities in that respect. I will admit 1 year is a bit long, so I will reduce the period to 3 months. I don't think you could reasonably be expected to go longer than that in using capital letters.

As for ORG, I will concede right here and now that I have applied and been rejected by them 3 different times. I simply try and make the most intelligent posts I can, and let the results speak for themselves. I have always respected you as a member, although you have a history of being unneccesarily harsh to other members in your posts, especially Bip Roberts.
    I sincerely hope you will cut that back in the future, and I think the Sun Deck will be a more pleasant place to post in the future.
    I think the best chance you have of winning this bet is if AZ starts a Lefty OD, o/w you have too much working against you.

I appreciate posts that link citations and facts. It is like cliff notes for the dozens of sources for baseball info out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNtransplant View Post
    I think the best chance you have of winning this bet is if AZ starts a Lefty OD, o/w you have too much working against you.

I appreciate posts that link citations and facts. It is like cliff notes for the dozens of sources for baseball info out there.

I don't think so,but we will see. Patterson not only has to make the 25-man roster, not only not be a fourth outfielder, but be a starting center fielder Opening day. He will need to have a really impressive spring training to accomplish all that. Baker is predisposed to make him the starting center fielder, but he will need to show the Reds enough in spring training AKA Josh Hamilton to win the starting spot.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Here would be the depth chart in CF, IMHO: Bruce, Hopper, Freel, Dickerson, Patterson (though I'd be tempted to move Jr. back to CF and start Rosales in right if all these other guys went down). So why have we signed Patterson except that he is one of Dusty's veteran types?
    He's not just "one of Dusty's veteran types", he's a former top prospect who was every bit as exciting to Cubs fans as Jay Bruce is to Reds fans now, and he broke out in 2003, Baker's first season in Chicago. He's also very good defensively and on the bases, whenever he manages to reach them. Considering how many times Dusty batted him leadoff in Chicago, it wouldn't be a bit surprising if he resumed that pattern here.

I actually like the idea of Patterson for the Reds, if they had a manager who would bat him 7th and leave him there, which is what Cubs fans desperately wanted Dusty to do, and he flatly refused because he is either incredibly arrogant, learning disabled, or both. Either way, it's gonna be a looooong three years, Reds fans.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

I don't think so,but we will see. Patterson not only has to make the 25-man roster, not only not be a fourth outfielder, but be a starting center fielder Opening day. He will need to have a really impressive spring training to accomplish all that. Baker is predisposed to make him the starting center fielder, but he will need to show the Reds enough in spring training AKA Josh Hamilton to win the starting spot.
    Based on his defense as CF and being basically the LH batting side to Freel or Hopper he is basically guaranteed to make the team. Those guaranteed major league contracts are not all solid clad guarantees if you are cut from the organization prior to a certain date(OD?). If they cut Freel outright in ST I think they only have to pay him 1/6th of the contract value. So he may only have to be as good as one of Freel or Hopper to make more economic sense. Then all you need is a RHP going for AZ OD, aka Brandon Webb.

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf - if I understand it correctly if they cut Freel according to the cba by the 16th they only have to pay him 30 days @ whatever rate he makes and 45 days after the 16th, before the season begins.
    Last edited by RSNtransplant; 03-04-2008 at 08:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?