Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Chris Dickerson also plays outstanding defense and is left-handed. He very easily could take Patterson's place if he plays better in spring training. If Chris Dickerson can play as well or better than Freel, Hopper or Patterson, he could just as easily be the Opening Day center fielder. All this goes out the window, however,if Bruce proves to be the real deal in spring training. I would say Patterson is a far distance from being guaranteed to make the team under any circumstances, however we will see.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Amarillo Red -

I hope that Patterson is not the Reds CF and leadoff hitter opening day, mostly because I want Jay Bruce in that position, but also because I feel the Redzone will not be as enjoyable a site without your informative posts about what other sites have reported. To be honest, I always look forward to seeing a thread started by you, since it usually means that it contains information that I wanted to know, and that I didn't know. I know that if someone has reported something on the Reds or a Reds player, you will find it and post it. This saves me from searching the Web for it myself. So for my sake, I hope you win.

As for the ORG, you should feel honored to be ignored by them. I visit them every day, and am not impressed. The pettiness of the ORG reminds me of the old Groucho Marx quote, "I don't want to be part of a club that would have me as a member." Which is why I have never applied and never will.

Good Luck with the bet.

Out of all this I have to say if they keep Freel when they can get away with paying him only 30 days of his salary, he must be a lot better than I give him credit.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Amarillo Red -

I hope that Patterson is not the Reds CF and leadoff hitter opening day, mostly because I want Jay Bruce in that position, but also because I feel the Redzone will not be as enjoyable a site without your informative posts about what other sites have reported. To be honest, I always look forward to seeing a thread started by you, since it usually means that it contains information that I wanted to know, and that I didn't know. I know that if someone has reported something on the Reds or a Reds player, you will find it and post it. This saves me from searching the Web for it myself. So for my sake, I hope you win.

As for the ORG, you should feel honored to be ignored by them. I visit them every day, and am not impressed. The pettiness of the ORG reminds me of the old Groucho Marx quote, "I don't want to be part of a club that would have me as a member." Which is why I have never applied and never will.

Good Luck with the bet.

I did mention I would be willing to curtail my site posting activities, not that I would cease to do it altogether. I reduced the period of time BLEEDS would abstain from using capital letters from 1 year to 3 months, so to be a valid bet BLEEDS must also be willing to scale his demand that I completely stop using site sources. I am perfectly willing to listen to what he has to further say on the subject.

I do create a lot of threads, and I enjoy doing so. My point in accepting BLEEDS' bet was simply to make a point. I hope he will cease continually making his challenges to all members in his posts, because at some point some one may take him up on it, as I just have. We have not really settled on the terms for the bet. I have agreed to scale back the period of time from 1 year to 3 months; I have not heard from BLEEDS further on the subject. Until I do, I will believe he has decided to not go further with this bet.

you guys should just duke it out offline.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post

you guys should just duke it out offline.
    Nah, how about some real consequences......something like...loser has to streak at a mutually agreed upon Reds game.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

This sucks.

I cannot stand the cubs, and genuinely hate everyone that has willingly played for them.

Now we're picking up their garbage?

This team simply cannot afford a guy who strikes out as much as Patterson. With guys like Dunn, Griffey, Votto, Ross, Gonzo who strikeout A LOT (Bruce too), we can't afford any more guys who don't make contact. This is why Hopper and Keppinger MUST start.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by NDReds9 View Post
    This sucks.

I cannot stand the cubs, and genuinely hate everyone that has willingly played for them.

Now we're picking up their garbage?

This team simply cannot afford a guy who strikes out as much as Patterson. With guys like Dunn, Griffey, Votto, Ross, Gonzo who strikeout A LOT (Bruce too), we can't afford any more guys who don't make contact. This is why Hopper and Keppinger MUST start.
    Last season, the Phillies, Rockies, and Braves all finished in the top five in the NL in both strikeouts and runs scored. The Reds were ninth in strikeouts, seventh in runs scored; the Cubs were 11th in strikeouts, eighth in runs scored. In short, it appears it may be a fallacy to assume that more strikeouts = fewer runs, and that any contact is better than no contact.

Can't help you with the Cubs thing though; Dusty Baker is what drove me to the Reds and he's what will drive me right back to the Cubs and I won't feel an ounce of shame about it.

Maybe it will help if you start spelling "Corey" with a "K", like the Kub fans did.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I was rolling my eyes at your childish ramblings. I dont want to get dragged into your little games again.

So the best way to do that would be to respond with snarky comments to my posts regarding conversations you are not involved in.

Got it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I will admit 1 year is a bit long, so I will reduce the period to 3 months. I don't think you could reasonably be expected to go longer than that in using capital letters.
    3 months? What type of bet is that?

I'll agree to the terms of the Reds Season.

BTW, this is not a "challenge", it's just a simple friendly bet. People do it all the time. I believe my stance, you believe yours.

So, let's try to establish the Record for the bet and the terms:

Bet:
    I bet that Corey Patterson will be the starting CF-er for the Reds on opening day. If he has a season-ending injury prior to the start of the season the bet is quashed.

Terms:
    If you win, I will not use any Capital Letters or say "peace" in any of my posts for the entire Reds Season.
    To be more precise, I assume you meant typing things like "BLEEDS" and "MORON", not "I" or when starting a sentence or for proper names or nouns (basically proper grammar). Do you also mean for saying things like "Capital Letters" which I use for emphasis?

If I win, you will not make any posts of links from other sites for the entire reds season. No cut-and-paste from anywhere on the Internet, including any other posts from the ORG or other forums on RedsZone. You will only be allowed to post your original thoughts or comments.
    You also must change(create) your signature to the phrase of my liking (and in the form, be it all caps or not). This will be finalized before the bet initiates (upon mutual agreement).

You can agree to the terms or not. Up to you. You want me to stop doing something I do in EVERY single one of my posts, I'm just asking you to refrain from something you do about 72% of the time. You are getting the better deal.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Senor Votto

I, for one, hope that these minor league deals are just that minor league deals. If Bruce doesn't start Centerfield this year then put Freel or Hopper there. Just please don't put Patterson there. I'm having a feeling Castro will make the team and I don't want to see Castro and Patterson on the same team at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Chris Dickerson also plays outstanding defense and is left-handed. He very easily could take Patterson's place if he plays better in spring training. If Chris Dickerson can play as well or better than Freel, Hopper or Patterson, he could just as easily be the Opening Day center fielder. All this goes out the window, however,if Bruce proves to be the real deal in spring training. I would say Patterson is a far distance from being guaranteed to make the team under any circumstances, however we will see.
    Brantley said it best about Dickerson... He looks like the best athlete on the field, but he has a hole in his swing you could drive a MAC truck through.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    3 months? What type of bet is that?

I'll agree to the terms of the Reds Season.

BTW, this is not a "challenge", it's just a simple friendly bet. People do it all the time. I believe my stance, you believe yours.

So, let's try to establish the Record for the bet and the terms:

Bet:
    I bet that Corey Patterson will be the starting CF-er for the Reds on opening day. If he has a season-ending injury prior to the start of the season the bet is quashed.

Terms:
    If you win, I will not use any Capital Letters or say "peace" in any of my posts for the entire Reds Season.
    To be more precise, I assume you meant typing things like "BLEEDS" and "MORON", not "I" or when starting a sentence or for proper names or nouns (basically proper grammar). Do you also mean for saying things like "Capital Letters" which I use for emphasis?

If I win, you will not make any posts of links from other sites for the entire reds season. No cut-and-paste from anywhere on the Internet, including any other posts from the ORG or other forums on RedsZone. You will only be allowed to post your original thoughts or comments.
    You also must change(create) your signature to the phrase of my liking (and in the form, be it all caps or not). This will be finalized before the bet initiates (upon mutual agreement).

You can agree to the terms or not. Up to you. You want me to stop doing something I do in EVERY single one of my posts, I'm just asking you to refrain from something you do about 72% of the time. You are getting the better deal.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I am perfectly willing to accept all the terms except the last. I will not agree to accept any signature you choose, as I have never had a signature and probably never will. If that is enough to disqualify the bet, so be it. I will go forward with the rest of the terms as agreed. I gave you the choice of either the 1 year without typing in capital letters OR 1 year typing PEACE at the end of every post. There was nothing saying it had to be both.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 03-05-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Then why don't you just make it one of the other for Bleeds, and eliminate the signature part? Seems like a fair resolution.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Getting ready: New signee and outfielder Corey Patterson remained at Reds camp in Sarasota, Fla., and was slated to face pitchers in a live batting-practice session. Baker doesn't expect to use Patterson in a game until early next week.

It will take some time for Patterson to get in to shape and be ready to play exhibition games.

I have now pulled out of the bet. Let's now get to talking about Corey Patterson like we should have from the beginning.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 03-05-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?