Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 35.71%
  • No.

18 64.29%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favre allegedly retiring... again

Favre allegedly retiring... again

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that according to Favre's agent, Buss Cook, Favre informed Packers coach Mike McCarthy of his decision Monday night.

Foxsports.com first reported Favre's decision.

A sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer, Favre, acquired in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, led the Packers back to the NFL's elite. He retires with 5,377 carrer completions in 8,758 attempts for 61,655 yards, 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions.

Cook said as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

Favre, who returned for the 2007 season when many thought he should have left the game, had a career renaissance in his final season and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in overtime.

Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers. Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.
    I'll believe it when I see the presser, but until then, more of the yearly dance. At least to me.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favre allegedly retiring... again

I"ve never heard him claim to retire before. From what I remember, he always said he wanted to wait to make the decision. I don't get all of the animosity towards Brett. He had a great year last year and led his team into the playoffs. They did not win despite Brett. Looked like to me he did have another good year left in him after all. The only people who really seemed unhappy about Brett drawing out his decision were the fans. He earned the right to have that type of decision, and he proved he made the right one last year.

Good im tired of hearing about him honestly

Get him a cheap set of golf clubs, then if he really means it, give him the good ones.

On one hand I'm sad to see him go, but on the other, i'm happy for Aaron Rogers. He really deserves a shot there. He should have gotten drafted higher than he was, and he could have been a really good player. I still think he can be, but after sitting out those years, he's sure to have some rust.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Favre Retires

Well, Favre finally made a decision, which makes today National Middle Aged White Guy Day of Mourning.
    Listen, I like Favre but I hear people saying that he was a top 3 QB of all time. In the just the years I have closely followed football I would take Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Brady, and Manning over Favre. Favre could win you a game but just as easily throw four picks in a quarter and lose you a game. He was just too up and down for my liking.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Re: Favre Retires

::YAWN::

To hear ESPN carry on, you'd think the Pope died.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    ::YAWN::

To hear ESPN carry on, you'd think the Pope died.
    the hype machine keeps rolling...

I'm a Vikes fan, couldn't be happier. His string of consecutive games is simply amazing. Hated him, but respect him.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Do us all a Favre, retire Brett!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Wow, a player plays a sport the way most fans love for players to play - 100% all the time - and he's being panned when he announces his retirement. He might not be a top 5 QB, but he sure as hell was a great one and he played with an enthusiasm rarely seen outside elementary school playgrounds, and he can't get any respect here? The NFL needs a hell of a lot more Brett Favre's. He deserves the send off he's getting by the media.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    He might not be a top 5 QB, but he sure as hell was a great one and he played with an enthusiasm rarely seen outside elementary school playgrounds... The NFL needs a hell of a lot more Brett Favre's. He deserves the send off he's getting by the media.
    Agreed (I am not a Packers fan). Great player... won the MVP three times! Repeat... 3X MVP. 2nd longest start streak in NFL history. Led his team to two Super Bowls and one Super Bowl win. Held on too long? Perhaps, but he did win the 2007 NFC offensive player of the year award.

Now lets hope, since he has more time on his hands, he doesn't go to any hot tub parties at old friend Mark Chmura's house.

Why does he deserve the send-off more than all the guys before him?

Great QB but the man love is annoying. That is all anyone outside Green Bay's division rivals is saying.

Suggesting he held on too long after the season he just posted is the least respectful thing said in this thread.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I loved him as a player, but am glad to hear he's finally retiring. The whole will he/ wont he act got old every year.
    Witty signature.

Favre was one of the last reasons I still watch the NFL. He was fun in a league that's become predictable (at least to me). It won't be the same without him. I think a lot of folks in the media realize the same thing. Is he in the top 5 all time? That's a matter of opinion, but he's in mine.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?