Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 35.71%
  • No.

18 64.29%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Favre allegedly retiring... again

Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I've touched upon this with my contention that Favre's keeping the Packers in limbo. 2 things are going on with the Packers.

1. They draft regardless of what Brett Favre does in 2008.
    2. They draft knowing that Brett Favre is an emergency unretiree.

For the Packers sake, I hope they are 100% onboard with drafting regardless of Brett Favre. I can't see the Packers drafting a QB, regardless of what happens with Favre. I can't remember off the top of my head if David Carr is available, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is available if he ends up a Packer. In 2008, the Packers will quickly learn if Aaron Rodgers is their next franchise QB or not, but I don't think they draft a QB to light a fire under him. They'll get a QB, and that player will come via FA.

I think this is the primary difference in our opinion on the Brett Favre retirement. I think it is the responsibility of the Packers to make sure they don't need Favre to come back, or at least they should have the discipline to not give into the temptation to bring Favre in if things go badly. I don't think their future should hinge on wether or not they can use Favre as an option. They should move on, and if they don't, I would have a hard time blaming Favre for being there if they ask him to come back. That would be a disaster for the Packers though.

I agree with you that they won't draft a QB. I worry that any young QB might try to become another Favre and in the process fail miserably. The fans might see Rodgers isn't Favre and give up too soon. A QB like Favre doesn't come around too often. Brady, Manning, Favre, and even Palmer are special QB's and Palmer isn't even on the same level as the others (yet). Palmer may never reach the level of leadership the others have reached.

Overall, I think the Packers need to move on and take the lumps. If they are half the franchise they seem to be, they will win again. I"m sure there will be some really unhappy fans if and when they lose, but rebuilding takes time. Might as well get on with it, because the sooner its over with the better. Winning cures all they say.

I don't know, maybe I'm naive and believe that my hero, couldn't cause problems on his team, but I really do believe the responsibility fall squarely on the shoulders of the franchise.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope not, because I don't feel like hearing about him 24/7 for another 6-8 months! He bores me to death, it would be different if he were "that" good at this point in his career. Frankly, he's not all that good anymore at all.

What you're seeing and hearing out of Favre is exactly what he's done his entire career. The man craves attention and loves to stir it up and get people to notice him. Most of the time it comes from his agent acting as a mouthpiece for him, but every now and then he'll actually say something himself. This retirement brouhaha is no different. Sure he may actually end up calling it quits 100%, but he's going to be in the spotlight for the duration of this little trip.

There's one thing Favre loves more than football and that's Brett Favre. He knows he's a media darling and he's going to make sure we pay as much attention to him and his situation as possible. My guess is that the spectre of Favre looms all year in Green Bay and the first time Aaron Rodgers wakes up sore the morning after a game Favre will be on the first jet out of Mississippi back to Wisconsin. He'll be hailed a savior and the whole spectacle will play out in a similar fashion next offseason but he'll ultimately stay retired that time. It's like breaking up with a girl: the first time usually doesn't take.
    Last edited by Sabo Fan; 04-17-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    What you're seeing and hearing out of Favre is exactly what he's done his entire career. The man craves attention and loves to stir it up and get people to notice him. Most of the time it comes from his agent acting as a mouthpiece for him, but every now and then he'll actually say something himself. This retirement brouhaha is no different. Sure he may actually end up calling it quits 100%, but he's going to be in the spotlight for the duration of this little trip.

There's one thing Favre loves more than football and that's Brett Favre. He knows he's a media darling and he's going to make sure we pay as much attention to him and his situation as possible. My guess is that the spectre of Favre looms all year in Green Bay and the first time Aaron Rodgers wakes up sore the morning after a game Favre will be on the first jet out of Mississippi back to Wisconsin. He'll be hailed a savior and the whole spectacle will play out in a similar fashion next offseason but he'll ultimately stay retired that time. It's like breaking up with a girl: the first time usually doesn't take.

From everything I've ever read about Favre he has never "craved attention." I don't remember him doing this every year either, or him ever declaring himself retired before like he has this year. It would seem to me the media is creating these stories, not Brett. He did an interview and was asked if he would come back. He said only if the Packers asked him to. I'm sure he asked for that interview though.

Its just rediculous that he is labled an attention hog. He seems to be a pretty quiet guy according to most. He does nothing like TO or Chad Johnson. He is a lot of things, a future HOFer, but I don't think he is an attention hog at all. When has Brett himself ever drawn attention to himself? When has he went out and created a story about himself? Do you really think his decisions would have been different if the media would have left him alone? Do you think it would have been made quicker? Come on. The story has always been created by the media, not Brett.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    From everything I've ever read about Favre he has never "craved attention." I don't remember him doing this every year either, or him ever declaring himself retired before like he has this year. It would seem to me the media is creating these stories, not Brett. He did an interview and was asked if he would come back. He said only if the Packers asked him to. I'm sure he asked for that interview though.

Its just rediculous that he is labled an attention hog. He seems to be a pretty quiet guy according to most. He does nothing like TO or Chad Johnson. He is a lot of things, a future HOFer, but I don't think he is an attention hog at all. When has Brett himself ever drawn attention to himself? When has he went out and created a story about himself? Do you really think his decisions would have been different if the media would have left him alone? Do you think it would have been made quicker? Come on. The story has always been created by the media, not Brett.
    Brett Favre is not TO or Ocho Cinco, but IMO he is an attention hog, just a different kind of breed. Now hear me out....

As we've discussed in this thread, Brett Favre is Packers football. He's the face of that franchise, he's the leader of that team, etc. That came through his play on the field, and the fact that he has a ridiculous games played streak while playing a position where streaks like his don't happen. He became an attention hog through the fault of his work ethic, his longevity, and his productivity. I don't want anyone to take the word "fault" with bad connotation, but rather I don't think all this attention was the desired result Favre ever wanted. While I don't think Brett Favre is the best QB ever, he's easily within the top 10 all-time, and I'm sure there are some good arguments he might even be top 5.

Favre's had a very heavily reported professional and personal life. Went through a pain killer problem. Wife had cancer. His name was thrown around along with the Mannings for helping rebuild the Gulf areas of Mississippi and Louisiana after the hurricanes. Favre gets press for everything, and IMO it's the direct result of him being the face of the Packers. For the last few years, retirement has been the topic revolving around Favre, but it wasn't until this current offseason that he officially said he's hanging it up. B/c retirement has been a recurring topic within the last few years, I can't hold it against the public or the media for having some skepticism as to if Favre really is retired, and if he'll really stay retired in 2008. Unfortunately, recently Favre honestly answered a question saying something to the effect of "if the Packers need me and call me, it'll be hard to say no and comeback." That answer right there just fueled more cynicism and skeptism.

SeeinRed, you're absolutely right, IMO, that Favre isn't intentionally trying to throw the spotlight on himself, and most likely isn't creating stories, but the media is acting like papparazzi concerning him. Unfortunately, due to all of Favre's accomplishments, anything he does in any sphere of influence the media considers a story due to who he is and what he's done. Consider it the nature of the beast.

I'm sure Favre wants to just ride off into the sunset and be left alone, but in today's age of instant gratification concerning the media and sports, I don't think that's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Brett Favre is not TO or Ocho Cinco, but IMO he is an attention hog, just a different kind of breed. Now hear me out....

As we've discussed in this thread, Brett Favre is Packers football. He's the face of that franchise, he's the leader of that team, etc. That came through his play on the field, and the fact that he has a ridiculous games played streak while playing a position where streaks like his don't happen. He became an attention hog through the fault of his work ethic, his longevity, and his productivity. I don't want anyone to take the word "fault" with bad connotation, but rather I don't think all this attention was the desired result Favre ever wanted. While I don't think Brett Favre is the best QB ever, he's easily within the top 10 all-time, and I'm sure there are some good arguments he might even be top 5.

Favre's had a very heavily reported professional and personal life. Went through a pain killer problem. Wife had cancer. His name was thrown around along with the Mannings for helping rebuild the Gulf areas of Mississippi and Louisiana after the hurricanes. Favre gets press for everything, and IMO it's the direct result of him being the face of the Packers. For the last few years, retirement has been the topic revolving around Favre, but it wasn't until this current offseason that he officially said he's hanging it up. B/c retirement has been a recurring topic within the last few years, I can't hold it against the public or the media for having some skepticism as to if Favre really is retired, and if he'll really stay retired in 2008. Unfortunately, recently Favre honestly answered a question saying something to the effect of "if the Packers need me and call me, it'll be hard to say no and comeback." That answer right there just fueled more cynicism and skeptism.

SeeinRed, you're absolutely right, IMO, that Favre isn't intentionally trying to throw the spotlight on himself, and most likely isn't creating stories, but the media is acting like papparazzi concerning him. Unfortunately, due to all of Favre's accomplishments, anything he does in any sphere of influence the media considers a story due to who he is and what he's done. Consider it the nature of the beast.

I'm sure Favre wants to just ride off into the sunset and be left alone, but in today's age of instant gratification concerning the media and sports, I don't think that's an option.

Oh, I totally agree with you Highlifeman. You couldn't have said it better. I just find it unfair to blame Favre for all the media coverage and to say he creates his own stories is complete bunk IMO. He had become a media darling because of who he is and what he has been through. I have no problems saying that he is the center of attention, and he does want that in the sense that it means he has done well and worked hard. Again, well said Highlifeman.

Don't let the small-town Southern boy persona fool you, Favre knows exactly what he's doing and how to go about manipulating the media to get what he wants. He holds a press conference at the drop of a hat and loves the camera. Yeah he gets a ton of attention for being a top QB and the face of the Packers franchise, but he could keep it to a bearable amount if he wanted. Brady is media darling but you don't hear nearly as much about him and his family as you do Favre. His wife had her own show for a time. Same with any number of other great QB's like Steve Young or Joe Montana. They are all great athletes but at a certain point they can say enough is enough. Favre doesn't.

Then there's the once a year ritual of him essentially holding the Packers hostage with whether he'll retire or not. It's selfish and self-serving and it may be the biggest reason why there's a bit of backlash (I think there isn't enough personally) towards Favre and the games he plays each offseason for the last three or four years. Now the interesting part is that for the most part, Favre keeps quiet during this time and uses his agent, Bus Cook, at his mouthpiece. Cook isn't one of these super agents, so the guy isn't what you would call media savvy, but he is when it comes from Favre. I find that interesting.

I'm not saying a portion of the fanfare around Favre isn't created by the media because it most surely is. What I am saying is that over the years Favre has been smart enough to use it to his advantage and does nothing to stop it or reduce it. He uses it to further his own causes but gets away with what amounts to manipulation because it's just assumed that he wouldn't do something like that. Well he could and he does. It's not sinister really, but don't think for a minute that his media-savvy nature hasn't made him a few bucks or gotten his team to get some added firepower.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

I think this is the primary difference in our opinion on the Brett Favre retirement. I think it is the responsibility of the Packers to make sure they don't need Favre to come back, or at least they should have the discipline to not give into the temptation to bring Favre in if things go badly. I don't think their future should hinge on wether or not they can use Favre as an option. They should move on, and if they don't, I would have a hard time blaming Favre for being there if they ask him to come back. That would be a disaster for the Packers though.

I agree. They cannot act on what Favre may or may not do. It was his decision to retire. He wasn't cut or traded, he retired of his own free will. Fish or cut bait, Brett. If you still think you can play, go to training camp and see if you can still play. Otherwise, we'll see you in Canton in 5 years. The Packers cannot let him hold them hostage.

Let's say Rodgers plays well and gets the Pack off to a hot start but in the 5th or 6th week, he gets hurt. Not serious to be out for the season but something that may take the rest of the regular season to recover from. Favre comes out of retirement and GB makes the playoffs. Rodgers is ready. Favre played well enough to make the playoffs. Who's the QB?

Let's say Rodgers gets off to a bad or mediocre start. The Pack is sub .500. The talk shows in Milwaukee are crucifying Rodgers and begging for Favre to come back. Now ESPN picks upon it and it's a national story. They go down to Mississippi and interview Favre. He confirms he's retired but leaves the door open a crack by saying things like, "If the team needs me and the fans want me back, I'd consider it." So now it becomes a groundswell and not only Wisconsin but seemingly most of the U.S. want Favre to come back. Naturally he can't turn them down and he unretires and G.B. brings him back. What happens at the end of the year? Does Favre retire again? Does he go into his Hamlet act and wait till mid-spring to announce whether he's coming back? Does he actually committ to coming back?

I think he is somewhat of an attention hound. But Green Bay needs to eventually cut the cord wih Favre whether it's Matt Rodgers or Mr. Rogers at QB. Favre is going to actually retire one day and G.B has to focus on the future, not the past.
    Last edited by Chip R; 04-20-2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I agree. They cannot act on what Favre may or may not do. It was his decision to retire. He wasn't cut or traded, he retired of his own free will. Fish or cut bait, Brett. If you still think you can play, go to training camp and see if you can still play. Otherwise, we'll see you in Canton in 5 years. The Packers cannot let him hold them hostage.

Let's say Rodgers plays well and gets the Pack off to a hot start but in the 5th or 6th week, he gets hurt. Not serious to be out for the season but something that may take the rest of the regular season to recover from. Favre comes out of retirement and GB makes the playoffs. Rodgers is ready. Favre played well enough to make the playoffs. Who's the QB?

Let's say Rodgers gets off to a bad or mediocre start. The Pack is sub .500. The talk shows in Milwaukee are crucifying Rodgers and begging for Favre to come back. Now ESPN picks upon it and it's a national story. They go down to Mississippi and interview Favre. He confirms he's retired but leaves the door open a crack by saying things like, "If the team needs me and the fans want me back, I'd consider it." So now it becomes a groundswell and not only Wisconsin but seemingly most of the U.S. want Favre to come back. Naturally he can't turn them down and he unretires and G.B. brings him back. What happens at the end of the year? Does Favre retire again? Does he go into his Hamlet act and wait till mid-spring to announce whether he's coming back? Does he actually committ to coming back?

I think he is somewhat of an attention hound. But Green Bay needs to eventually cut the cord wih Favre whether it's Matt Rodgers or Mr. Rogers at QB. Favre is going to actually retire one day and G.B has to focus on the future, not the past.
    Aside from it being Aaron Rodgers, rather than Matt Rodgers, everything else you said was spot on.

Well put, Chip.

From Rotoworld:

Brett Favre told David Letterman on the Late Show that he feels "something's bound to happen" when training camp time rolls around.

Letterman asked him what he meant. "I don't know," Favre responded. "Did I just say that?...Butterflies, or - I don't know, something's bound to happen." Favre really isn't doing much to diffuse speculation he may feel the urge to play in 2008. His official retirement papers still aren't in.
    Nah, he's not seeking attention or drawing this out at all. I'd expect a couple more "slip ups" like this in the coming months all leading up to his return a couple of weeks before the season.
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    From Rotoworld:

Nah, he's not seeking attention or drawing this out at all. I'd expect a couple more "slip ups" like this in the coming months all leading up to his return a couple of weeks before the season.
    From John Fay's blog:

-- Good Guy Award: Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre

This award is given for the player who best helped the media do its job. A PFWA member who nominated Favre said there was "no better interview in the game. Ask the guy a question and he'll bare his soul."

Favre not only gave detailed, honest answers but increased his availability to national and out-of-town reporters. Leading into games, Favre did more conference calls than in previous seasons with media covering the opposition even knowing he would inevitably be asked the same questions about his possible retirement.

Favre answered the inquiries with class and dignity before making his retirement official in March.
    The media is drawn toward him for reasons stated above, he doesn't bait the media into a story about himself out of a craving for attention. He gets the spotlight not because he is a great self-promoter, but because his work ethic and talent has put him in the spotlight along with a lot of his personal struggles that wouldn't have even been made public if he wasn't such a likable guy.

He will find some way to return to the field next year.

Please Brett Favre, Just Go Away

I don't know who is more of a drama queen, Brett Favre or Roger Clemens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3471189

With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source said.

On ESPN's NFL Live, Packers defensive back Al Harris said: "I've talked to Brett and I know he has the itch to come back and play. If he will or not, I don't know. But I know he's feeling he wants to play."

When asked how Favre expressed his desire to return, Harris said the quarterback said, "I got the itch."

The source said the Packers would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him [to play]."

Another source conceded Favre was "getting the itch" to play football in 2008.

"As far as I know, right now, Brett Favre is retired and until he tells me something different, that's what it is," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, said.

Favre was unavailable for comment. A Packers spokesman said that McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson were on vacation.

"The Packers have no reaction," team spokesman Jeff Blumb told The Associated Press.

Favre has two years remaining on his contract at an average of about $12.5 million per season. His salary is not currently counting toward the salary cap because the Packers placed him on the reserve-retired list.

If Favre decides that he absolutely wants to play this season, the Packers could be confronted with a sensitive issue. The entire offseason has been spent preparing Aaron Rodgers to play quarterback to the point where "the offensive scheme has evolved" and, psychologically, closing the door on Favre's legendary 17-year career.

"As a veteran and as a leader of the team," Harris said on NFL Live, "I would welcome Brett with open arms. "

He added: "We embrace Aaron. We support Aaron. Aaron is our quarterback. Brett is retired, but if he wants to come back, there will be some guys that wouldn't mind it."

NFL.com Video

Highlights of Favre's best 2007 moments.
    If the Packers resist a stronger push by Favre to return, sources speculate that the quarterback could press the team to release him from his contract so that he could seek a job with another team. A league official said that Favre could force a decision by asking the Packers, in writing, to reinstate him to active status. The team would have to comply or release him.

"That's speculation and I wouldn't go there," a team source said. "We value Brett's legacy, we think he values it, and we'd want to protect that. Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far. He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]. This was almost predictable, the idea that Brett would get the itch to play as we get closer to the season."

In an interview done with ESPN around the time Favre retired in early March, McCarthy predicted Favre "will have an itch to come back. I saw Joe Montana go through it, even though I was a younger coach in Kansas City at the time."

McCarthy said it was Favre who convinced the coach that retirement was the "right thing to do."

"I tried to talk him out of retirement," McCarthy said back in March. "Tom Clements [Green Bay's quarterbacks coach] and I were trying to sell him on the concept that he could still play at a high level with 80 to 85 percent of the commitment he had last year. Brett thought that maybe he could do it but he reasoned that when you cut back the commitment, you open yourself up to injury, to not being on top of your game -- which was very important to Brett -- and letting the team down in the process.

"Really, what Brett did was very honorable because the stress and pressure he feels is a direct result of the standard he sets for himself."
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: Please Brett Favre, Just Go Away

+1

Turn Off Ads?