Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    10 35.71%
  • No.

    18 64.29%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 145

Thread: Favre allegedly retiring... again

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Favre Retires

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Wow, a player plays a sport the way most fans love for players to play - 100% all the time - and he's being panned when he announces his retirement. He might not be a top 5 QB, but he sure as hell was a great one and he played with an enthusiasm rarely seen outside elementary school playgrounds, and he can't get any respect here? The NFL needs a hell of a lot more Brett Favre's. He deserves the send off he's getting by the media.
    Agree 100%. Very well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonny
    I loved him as a player, but am glad to hear he's finally retiring. The whole will he/ wont he act got old every year.
    I blame the act more on the media than Brett. He didn't set his team back one bit like many said he would IMO. More was made about the Packers being caught in the middle than was actually true. Just like people claim the media is sensationalizing his retirement, I would argue that the media was sensationalizing his impact on the teams rebuilding process and him leaving the team in a tough position.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Re: Favre allegedly retiring... again

    Honestly, the NFL sucks.

    Brett Favre at least made it watchable.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  4. #18
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    YES. I say yes he will.

    He's already laying the groundwork to come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  5. #19
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    No, b/c the Packers will have shifted their direction and focus to a squad without Brett, and they still own his rights (since he hasn't filed his retirement papers) and I don't see them trading Brett Favre or the rights to Brett Favre to any other team in the league.

    It would be a PR nightmare.

  6. #20
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Oh I think he'll be back with the Packers. First hint of trouble for Aaron, and the cheeseheads will be calling for Brett.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #21
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Oh I think he'll be back with the Packers. First hint of trouble for Aaron, and the cheeseheads will be calling for Brett.
    With the draft fast approaching on the horizon, I would have to think the Packers are trying to twist every screw and push every button Brett Favre has to get a definitive answer out of him.

    Pretty low class for Favre to leave the Packers hanging, but it wouldn't surprise me if they draft knowing he'll be back in 2008.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    With the draft fast approaching on the horizon, I would have to think the Packers are trying to twist every screw and push every button Brett Favre has to get a definitive answer out of him.

    Pretty low class for Favre to leave the Packers hanging, but it wouldn't surprise me if they draft knowing he'll be back in 2008.


    How exactly is he leaving them hanging. He has already said he won't be back and from what I understand all he did was answer a reporter's question as to wether or not he would come back if the Packers asked him to. He said the only way he would come back is if the Packers reached out to him because of injuries or whatever. The hatred for Favre is absolutely puzzling to me. Everyone gets mad when he doesn't say wether or not he will come back when most of the questions come from the media not the team itself. They say he is handcuffing the team and he won't let them move on. Sure seemed like a problem last year didn't it? Then people get mad when he does retire because they think the media is making too big of a deal out of it. He was Green Bay football while he was there. He is one of the greatest players of all time IMO. He was a big part of what made football fun to watch. Now everyone is upset because he answered a question truthfully. When asked if he would consider coming back if the Packers asked him, he said it would be hard to pass up. Can't say I disagree with him there. Its a non-story. He has said he is done, and barring an injury I believe he is. Talk about a statement taken out of context by the national media. Now by answering a question he becomes low class. Give me a break.

  9. #23
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,266

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    How exactly is he leaving them hanging. He has already said he won't be back and from what I understand all he did was answer a reporter's question as to wether or not he would come back if the Packers asked him to. He said the only way he would come back is if the Packers reached out to him because of injuries or whatever. The hatred for Favre is absolutely puzzling to me. Everyone gets mad when he doesn't say wether or not he will come back when most of the questions come from the media not the team itself. They say he is handcuffing the team and he won't let them move on. Sure seemed like a problem last year didn't it? Then people get mad when he does retire because they think the media is making too big of a deal out of it. He was Green Bay football while he was there. He is one of the greatest players of all time IMO. He was a big part of what made football fun to watch. Now everyone is upset because he answered a question truthfully. When asked if he would consider coming back if the Packers asked him, he said it would be hard to pass up. Can't say I disagree with him there. Its a non-story. He has said he is done, and barring an injury I believe he is. Talk about a statement taken out of context by the national media. Now by answering a question he becomes low class. Give me a break.
    While I'm no "Favre Hater," I do think that Favre not filing his retirement papers does handcuff the Packers if he's still under contract. That means they either have to pay his salary and keep a spot for him on the roster or they have to cut him, neither of which is an ideal situation for the team. If Favre is retired, then it is best he get on with it so that the team can fill his spot on the roster with another player. If he's not retired, then they need to know so they can either get him into camp or cut him (which could be a PR nightmare in Green Bay). If only coming back if someone is hurt and the Packers need him, then go ahead and file retirement papers. You can unretire and sign a short-term contract later if the situation arises. In the meantime, you have to make things clear for the Packers so they can plan accordingly.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  10. #24
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    While I'm no "Favre Hater," I do think that Favre not filing his retirement papers does handcuff the Packers if he's still under contract. That means they either have to pay his salary and keep a spot for him on the roster or they have to cut him, neither of which is an ideal situation for the team. If Favre is retired, then it is best he get on with it so that the team can fill his spot on the roster with another player. If he's not retired, then they need to know so they can either get him into camp or cut him (which could be a PR nightmare in Green Bay). If only coming back if someone is hurt and the Packers need him, then go ahead and file retirement papers. You can unretire and sign a short-term contract later if the situation arises. In the meantime, you have to make things clear for the Packers so they can plan accordingly.
    All they have to do is put him on the reserve-retired list. That allows them not to pay him, and he doesn't take up a roster spot.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    While I'm no "Favre Hater," I do think that Favre not filing his retirement papers does handcuff the Packers if he's still under contract. That means they either have to pay his salary and keep a spot for him on the roster or they have to cut him, neither of which is an ideal situation for the team. If Favre is retired, then it is best he get on with it so that the team can fill his spot on the roster with another player. If he's not retired, then they need to know so they can either get him into camp or cut him (which could be a PR nightmare in Green Bay). If only coming back if someone is hurt and the Packers need him, then go ahead and file retirement papers. You can unretire and sign a short-term contract later if the situation arises. In the meantime, you have to make things clear for the Packers so they can plan accordingly.
    GoReds33 beat me to it, but I don't see how he is handcuffing this team. He has declared his intentions, the team will move on from there. Favre is not a Packer unless there is an injury to Rogers. Thats pretty clear it would appear. Maybe you don't believe he retires until he files the paper. Its all up for argument, but I do believe that this story is being blow way out of proportion by the media. I don't believe your a Farve hater, and even though my response was to Highlifeman's post I don't think he is a Favre hater. I do however think saying Favre is being low class is a bit extreme. If the Packers don't move on its nobody's fault but their own. I would have no hard feelings toward the Packers if they did tell Brett that they were moving in a different direction if he tried to come back. I think most fans would feel the same way. Favre declared retirement. I still don't think he will even attempt to come back though, and I still think it is a non-story that he still hasn't filed his papers and he said he would be willing to come back.

  12. #26
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Sorry that you thought me calling Favre "low class" was extreme, but I would just like a definitive answer from him.

    He's "retired", but if they call next year and need him, he's planted the seed for a comeback. I honestly think it will be hard for the Packers to move forward 100% away from Favre while Favre still lingers in the shadows.

    If this was any other QB, it wouldn't be a story, but Brett Favre has been the Packers forever. I don't think there's any easy passing of the torch, especially with an icon like Favre.

    Slam dunk HOF, IMO.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Sorry that you thought me calling Favre "low class" was extreme, but I would just like a definitive answer from him.

    He's "retired", but if they call next year and need him, he's planted the seed for a comeback. I honestly think it will be hard for the Packers to move forward 100% away from Favre while Favre still lingers in the shadows.

    If this was any other QB, it wouldn't be a story, but Brett Favre has been the Packers forever. I don't think there's any easy passing of the torch, especially with an icon like Favre.

    Slam dunk HOF, IMO.

    From the Packers end, if they tank and Rogers either is injured or they decide he isn't the future of the franchise, what would be better than having a future HOFer/fan favorite ready to come in and take the helm for the remainder of the season to keep the fans from going into a full riot? I see your point that the Packers need to get away from having him as a fall back option. That would seem to be entirely in their control though. Simple solution, don't ask him to come back. Its up to them to commit to the future without Favre and I don't think Favre will be too unhappy if they do move on. We'll see in the future. It will be rough for a couple years more than likely, but I think they will be ok. The question will be can this team find a new identity without Brett and how will they replace his leadership.

  14. #28
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    From the Packers end, if they tank and Rogers either is injured or they decide he isn't the future of the franchise, what would be better than having a future HOFer/fan favorite ready to come in and take the helm for the remainder of the season to keep the fans from going into a full riot? I see your point that the Packers need to get away from having him as a fall back option. That would seem to be entirely in their control though. Simple solution, don't ask him to come back. Its up to them to commit to the future without Favre and I don't think Favre will be too unhappy if they do move on. We'll see in the future. It will be rough for a couple years more than likely, but I think they will be ok. The question will be can this team find a new identity without Brett and how will they replace his leadership.
    That's a great point, I think largely overlooked in everything going on with Favre and the Packers.

    Favre was the face of the Packers. Favre was the undeniable leader of the Packers.

    I don't see Aaron Rodgers replacing him in either aspect, so the question you've precisely pinpointed remains "Who will become the new face of the Pakcers and who becomes the new leader of the Packers?"

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    That's a great point, I think largely overlooked in everything going on with Favre and the Packers.

    Favre was the face of the Packers. Favre was the undeniable leader of the Packers.

    I don't see Aaron Rodgers replacing him in either aspect, so the question you've precisely pinpointed remains "Who will become the new face of the Pakcers and who becomes the new leader of the Packers?"
    I don't see Aaron Rodgers as a replacement in that area either, and it is going to be tough following Favre. Almost unfair. I don't know that one player will ever have the affect on the GB franchise that Favre had. It will definately be interesting. The Packers are in a sticky situation, not because of the what if with Favre, but because of the player Favre was. You want that type of player on your team, but he leaves a pretty big void once he is gone. I've never been a huge GB fan, but I have always admired Brett Favre. I will be watching with a great deal of intrest to see how they cope post Favre.

    The question is, do you think they will look for another QB in FA or the draft in case Rodgers fails?

  16. #30
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I don't see Aaron Rodgers as a replacement in that area either, and it is going to be tough following Favre. Almost unfair. I don't know that one player will ever have the affect on the GB franchise that Favre had. It will definately be interesting. The Packers are in a sticky situation, not because of the what if with Favre, but because of the player Favre was. You want that type of player on your team, but he leaves a pretty big void once he is gone. I've never been a huge GB fan, but I have always admired Brett Favre. I will be watching with a great deal of intrest to see how they cope post Favre.

    The question is, do you think they will look for another QB in FA or the draft in case Rodgers fails?
    I've touched upon this with my contention that Favre's keeping the Packers in limbo. 2 things are going on with the Packers.

    1. They draft regardless of what Brett Favre does in 2008.
    2. They draft knowing that Brett Favre is an emergency unretiree.

    For the Packers sake, I hope they are 100% onboard with drafting regardless of Brett Favre. I can't see the Packers drafting a QB, regardless of what happens with Favre. I can't remember off the top of my head if David Carr is available, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is available if he ends up a Packer. In 2008, the Packers will quickly learn if Aaron Rodgers is their next franchise QB or not, but I don't think they draft a QB to light a fire under him. They'll get a QB, and that player will come via FA.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25