Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Brett Favre play in the NFL next season?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 35.71%
  • No.

18 64.29%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Favre allegedly retiring... again

Re: Please Brett Favre, Just Go Away

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't know who is more of a drama queen, Brett Favre or Roger Clemens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3471189

In other news, Favre farted and it sounded like his butt said it wanted to play football, further proof that he will probably come back.

Looks like the media thinks its time for some more Favre drama. Of course he is going to have an itch to play. The guy played, and played well on the biggest stage in his sport. Not many people would want to give that up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    In other news, Favre farted and it sounded like his butt said it wanted to play football, further proof that he will probably come back.

Looks like the media thinks its time for some more Favre drama. Of course he is going to have an itch to play. The guy played, and played well on the biggest stage in his sport. Not many people would want to give that up.
    Yep, but when Cal Ripken for example decided to call it a career, he didn't for almost three years play with the media constantly to get attention.

Brett Favre and Roger Clemens have both toyed with this, and I don't think its for the "love of the game", but more for the love of self and wanting to be in the spotlight.

It was sincere the first time. It got old the second time. The third time right before training camp, you just need to stop. If I were Aaron Rodgers and Favre did come back, I would try to pursue a trade or release. God knows he couldn't be any worse than what is in Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Yep, but when Cal Ripken for example decided to call it a career, he didn't for almost three years play with the media constantly to get attention.

Brett Favre and Roger Clemens have both toyed with this, and I don't think its for the "love of the game", but more for the love of self and wanting to be in the spotlight.

It was sincere the first time. It got old the second time. The third time right before training camp, you just need to stop. If I were Aaron Rodgers and Favre did come back, I would try to pursue a trade or release. God knows he couldn't be any worse than what is in Chicago.

Ripken couldn't have played at the level Favre can still play at. Favre can still play on a high level. The only reason it is a story is because he can still be relevant.

So, because a story pops up it is because Favre wants to be in the spotlight. The story says itself that it was from "somebody close to Favre", which is subjective itself. Its not even based on a comment directly from Favre, but once again, I'm sure Favre told that person to tell the media so he could be the center of attention again.

Comparing Favre and Clemens is a really far stretch. Its been discussed to no end, but I find it hard to believe that Clemens and Favre have any where close to the same agenda. First, if you read the story, it started because a person "close to Favre" said something. Give me a break. Favre isn't allowed to talk about wanting to play with his family and friends? Every one who has dealt with Favre says he is a good guy. Read my post earlier in the thread where I quoted John Fay's blog. This story comes from ESPN for crying out loud. They want this to be a story. Pretty shoddy piece of jounalism if you ask me.
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 07-03-2008 at 05:19 PM.

Re: Favre allegedly retiring... again

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...7NFqRSQ8SPdlNw

NEW YORK (AFP) — Brett Favre has asked the Green Bay Packers to release his rights so the retired National Football League quarterback can make a comeback with another team, US sports television network ESPN reported.

Favre retired after last season, when he guided the Packers within a game of the Super Bowl and said his farewells after a historic American football career that included a Super Bowl triumph with the Packers in 1997.

The 38-year-old signal caller who holds the NFL record for career touchdown passes and consecutive starts by a quarterback had reportedly showed interest in a comeback in recent weeks, including workouts near his Mississippi home.

But the Packers had already started making personnel moves without Favre in the plans and executives reportedly wanted to put off any discussion about a return by Favre until after key leaders had completed vacations.

Favre asked his agent to send a letter to the Packers seeking his release three days after Green Bay club executives were told by Favre that he wanted to play in the upcoming season, a reversal of his March decision to retire.

ESPN reported that neither Packers general manager Ted Thompson nor coach Mike McCarthy were enthusiastic about Favre returning, prompting Favre's decision to seek his release and test his chances with other NFL clubs.

The Packers issued a statement Friday that gave no clear indication how the club would respond if Favre wanted to return in 2008, mindful of pre-season training camp set to start later this month.

"Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms," the Packers' statement read. "We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion."

The Packers noted that should Favre write a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell seeking reinstatement to the Packers' active roster, the club would have to comply or release Favre.

"If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team," the statement read.

Favre, who has three years worth 39 million dollars remaining on his NFL contract should he return, does not want to be traded because he wants the freedom of choice on what team he would join.

The Packers, however, are unlikely to want to lose such an asset without compensation, even if Favre was among the most beloved players to wear the green and gold with Green Bay's faithful supporters.

"As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions," the statement read.

Favre is the NFL's all-time leader with 442 touchdown tosses, 5,377 completions, 8,758 attempts and 61,555 yards.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Call me when the games start...
    If Brett is playing, great. If he isn't playing great. Who cares...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Part of me wants to see him play for a team not the Packers and go beat the Packers at Lambeau Field.

The other part of me just wants the Bengals to sweep the Browns and the Steelers this season. I don't care what they do in the other 12 games.

This has Jordan as a Wizard written all over it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    This has Jordan as a Wizard written all over it.
    Or Montana as a Kansas City Chief.

Or Willie Mays as a New York Met.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Please Brett, stay away. You are becoming a major d---e bag with your antics....

I'd like to see him sign with the Ravens and get a season-ending injury.

Montana was decent with the Chiefs.

Brett is trying to make the packers...the bad guys....he sounds like the jerk to me...the way he is going about trying to plead his case.

If you don't want to retire then...you DON'T retire
    Go Gators!

I definitely want to see Favre end up in the Packers division and beat them twice a year.

Would this technically count for the Madden curse?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?