Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy on XM..... "Homer is a little bit of a head case..."

Hal McCoy on XM..... "Homer is a little bit of a head case..."

Hal McCoy was just on Charlie Steiner's XM show.

When asked about Homer Bailey he said....."Homer is a little bit of a headcase. He doesn't like to listen to people. He might get a dose of Louisville..."
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hal McCoy on XM..... "Homer is a little bit of a head case..."

I thought Dusty Baker said the opposite of that the other day?

He might get a dose of Louisville...
    I'd be stunned if he doesn't.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

If Homer turns out to be good, this will someday be viewed as knowing his job and being strong willed and determined.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If Homer turns out to be good, this will someday be viewed as knowing his job and being strong willed and determined.
    If

I opined last year that *maybe* part of the sudden about face regarding starting Homer might be to teach him a lesson that he needs to listen to their advice, he can't do it all his own way, he has to work on controll, etc. Sometimes hard-headed people have to learn the hard way and letting him get thrashed a bit was to show him that he doesn't have it all figured out.

Not saying this is proof that I was correct, but maybe my tea-leaves reading was closer to being right than wrong.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Hal McCoy was just on Charlie Steiner's XM show.

When asked about Homer Bailey he said....."Homer is a little bit of a headcase. He doesn't like to listen to people. He might get a dose of Louisville..."

I heard the same thing last year from a friend who went down to ST and talked to Brantley.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I heard the same thing last year from a friend who went down to ST and talked to Brantley.
    I channeled Farney once, and he basically said the same. He has a squeaky voice.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I wouldn't call that being a headcase, I'd call it immaturity. Why people expect a baseball player to be more mature in their approach to taking instruction than the general population, I have no idea. Homer seems to be acting his age, which is another reason that he should not be depended upon this season but continue to learn and mature mentally and physically.

But then, I guess Hal has never been one to avoid overdramatizing a topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I opined last year that *maybe* part of the sudden about face regarding starting Homer might be to teach him a lesson that he needs to listen to their advice, he can't do it all his own way, he has to work on controll, etc. Sometimes hard-headed people have to learn the hard way and letting him get thrashed a bit was to show him that he doesn't have it all figured out.

Not saying this is proof that I was correct, but maybe my tea-leaves reading was closer to being right than wrong.
    Interesting, especially if he wasn't healthy. Sorta of like, we know you aren't at your best, but your seeing how crappy your way is, we are going to teach you a lessen.

That may explain the more "mentor-student" thing going on this spring with Pole.

That said, Bailey will always be a bit crazy IMO. That has its upsides.

John Fay alluded (somewhat) to this the other day after trying to interview Homer.

Why do I have this sinking feeling that Homer will struggle off and on and show flashes of brilliance but never really dominate until it's his free agency year. Then, he will walk away from the Reds because of bad feelings towards the team for not letting him do it 'his way'. He'll sign with someone else and be gangbusters.

I just got up so maybe that was just a bad dream I had last night.

Rem

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I have no problem with Homer being a head case as long as he doesn't turn into a Brett Tomko.

I have heard conflicting stories about Homer's behavior and I am not going to cast him in any light. I simply haven't seen or heard enough. I doubt any one person on this board has.

One POSITIVE story about Homer is when he went to work in Sarasota last year to recover from his groin issues. Tom Brown, the former Marlins Pitching Coordinator, stayed with him the entire time. Homer worked with him DAILY on mechanics, approach to hitters, grips, his breaking ball you name it. When Homer came back to the Reds his delivery was noticeably improved and like magic his breaking balls were getting over for strikes. Obviously the kid listens well enough at times to grasp what he is being taught.

My contention for the last 4-5 years is that there have been numerous coaches in the organization that couldn't help a high school team much less a Homer Bailey. As I have noticed this season looking at the coaches in camp that situation has improved somewhat. Players know who is full of it and who they "WANT" to listen too. Something tells me Homer may not be as dumb as some people think.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Homer's always been a head case. That's not really news. I'll go out on a limb and posit that most very good pitchers are head cases. Now, that doesn't mean Bailey will be a very good pitcher, just that him being a difficult human is far from a disqualifier.

My take is when you're asking someone to do something that most humans can' do, alternative wiring is probably a plus.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Sal Maglie was a "Head Case"... Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Dizzy Dean, Dolph Luque.... and on and on....

This is what Baker said earlier in ST.

There were whispers last year that Bailey wasn't very coachable. Baker hasn't seen that.

“Sometimes you need to fail to really listen," Baker said. "He’s been all ears basically, which you like in a young player. But sometimes they have to fail before they listen.”

Turn Off Ads?