Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: House hunting in Cincinnati...

House hunting in Cincinnati...

My girlfriend (soon to be fiance) and I are in the beginning stages of looking for a house. We have mostly looked at houses in the Oakley and Pleasant Ridge areas. We are also looking in the Hyde Park area if we can find something that we can afford.

My question is are there any other areas/suburbs of Cincinnati we should check out? We want to stay on the east side and don't really want to go any farther north than, say, Kenwood. We want to try and stay a quick drive down 71 from downtown since I work downtown and she works over in Covington.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: House hunting in Cincinnati...

Not sure what kind of neighborhood you're looking for, but I'm living in the Mt. Carmel, Eastgate area right now. Quick trip up 471 and I'm downtown. Usually takes me 15-25 minutes to get from my house to downtown. We've been there for about 5 years. I can't complain much, but my wife is starting to long for the fresh air of the country, so we might head east. I'll probably try to work out some sort of work from home deal if that happens.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    My girlfriend (soon to be fiance) and I are in the beginning stages of looking for a house. We have mostly looked at houses in the Oakley and Pleasant Ridge areas. We are also looking in the Hyde Park area if we can find something that we can afford.

My question is are there any other areas/suburbs of Cincinnati we should check out? We want to stay on the east side and don't really want to go any farther north than, say, Kenwood. We want to try and stay a quick drive down 71 from downtown since I work downtown and she works over in Covington.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    No kids involved I presume? Then I would consider "East" Hyde Park and even some parts of Madisonville.

You mentioned Hyde Park- have you looked at Mt. Lookout or Columbia Tusculum?

North Avondale? Great homes and some really nice pockets. A friend just bought a place in the Red Bud Hills addition. There are a lot of wonderful homes scattered among all the freaking mansions.

Clifton? If I didn't have kids I'd probably pick Clifton. Gaslight is nice, but it's hard to find a place to buy that is affordable and not cut up into apartments. But the area behind Keller's IGA, the whole hill on the west side of Clifton Ave. has some great houses, all the way, across MLK including Riddle, Marshall, Probasco, etc. And Fairview is a quaint little pocket of Clifton, too.

As far as Oakley goes, that's a great place. Consider Norwood, too. I know- Norwood just sounds bad, but it's got a lot of similarity to Oakley. And I'll bet it's a lot cheaper than Oakley (which used to always be listed as "Hyde Park Near" before it became tony in its own right).
    Last edited by SunDeck; 03-04-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

No kids, correct. We plan on waiting another 4 years or so before we start having any. The one thing that is kind of hindering our search is that she is very picky on the area. We found a really nice house in Madisonville but when we drove through she thought the area seemed kind of sketchy.

No kids, correct. We plan on waiting another 4 years or so before we start having any. The one thing that is kind of hindering our search is that she is very picky on the area. We found a really nice house in Madisonville but when we drove through she thought the area seemed kind of sketchy.
    I think you have to have a high tolerance for urban problems if you choose to live in Madisonville. Unfortunately, the neighborhood shows little signs of any renewal.

And if you plan on having kids in four years, then think hard about where you are when they hit the schools. We absolutely were not going to stay within the city limits with school age kids.

Move closer to Mariemont from there and check Madison Place.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I think you have to have a high tolerance for urban problems if you choose to live in Madisonville. Unfortunately, the neighborhood shows little signs of any renewal.

And if you plan on having kids in four years, then think hard about where you are when they hit the schools. We absolutely were not going to stay within the city limits with school age kids.
    We were planning on moving within 5-7 years anyway, so it would be well before our kids would be of school age. Then we would either head up to the Mason/West Chester area or possibly head south towards the Carolina's.

Madeira is a great area.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's probably the area I was thinking of- thanks WOY.
    Forgot about Mariemont. Are Terrace Park and Milford too far out? I like Milford.

We have actually started finding some houses to look at in Madison Place. We have heard the area is nice.

That's probably the area I was thinking of- thanks WOY.
    Forgot about Mariemont. Are Terrace Park and Milford too far out? I like Milford.
    I know many a folk who bought their first home in MP... of course all of them went to Mariemont and the thought of ever leaving the area was too daunting to face.

of course all of them went to Mariemont and the thought of ever leaving the area was too daunting to face.
    I thought that was Fairfax.

I thought that was Fairfax.
    I plenty who did the first plunge there as well.

I do like Milford. It's a little ways from the city. Probably 30 minutes or so. It's a great place to raise a kid. They have a good school district. It's like a little city, in the middle of the country.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Not sure what kind of neighborhood you're looking for, but I'm living in the Mt. Carmel, Eastgate area right now. Quick trip up 471 and I'm downtown. Usually takes me 15-25 minutes to get from my house to downtown. We've been there for about 5 years. I can't complain much, but my wife is starting to long for the fresh air of the country, so we might head east. I'll probably try to work out some sort of work from home deal if that happens.
    My old stomping grounds. I can remember when Eastgate Mall was a field.

As far as the move east goes- I would steer clear of Williamsburg (though- or because- I spent some brief high school time there.

Mt. Orab or further east is true country. I used to hop on 32 and ride my motorcycle out past there- maybe to Sardinha (?).

Beautiful and green during the Summer. Those were the days.

Turn Off Ads?