Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: James 2008 Gold Mine

James 2008 Gold Mine

Got a copy last night. Incredible book ... it's just fun. He provides interesting stuff on each team that has you wanting more.

Did you know: Harang was the winningest starter in the majors last year ... the Reds won 24 of the 34 games he started.

Did you know: Norris Hopper did not hit a line drive to LF the entire season.

Did you know: The Reds have the 2006 and 2007 winners of the Kingman Award(guy who hits HRs and provides almost nothing else offensively). I let you guys wonder who the two might be.

BTW, in the Baltimore section it had a little analysis on Patterson, who has drastically reduced his swinging misses the last two seasons. That should make some around here very happy.
    Last edited by flyer85; 03-05-2008 at 09:29 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: James 2008 Gold Mine

David Ross and Adam Dunn?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    David Ross and Adam Dunn?
    you got the 2007 winner in there. James has been giving the award 30 years and Kingman won it numerous times.

BTW, Dunn has never won the award.

Junior in 2006?

Arroyo in 06? Only if he qualified. McCracken too.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 03-05-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Junior in 2006?
    ding ding ding

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Junior in 2006?
    That seems right. Junior's OPB was UGLY in 2006.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    BTW, in the Baltimore section it had a little analysis on Patterson, who has drastically reduced his swinging misses the last two seasons. That should make some around here very happy.
    Interesting note on Patterson. However, his LD% also dropped substantially last year. Usually that's a "random" fluctuation, but you have to wonder if perhaps it's not partially due to putting more balls in play weakly rather than missing altogether. Not saying that's a bad thing per se', but another data point suggesting that cutting down on strikeouts doesn't necessarily lead to greater production.

Patterson's rate stats were down across the board in 2007, with the most notable decrease in slugging. If fewer strikeouts doesn't lead to more times on base and more bases per at bat, what's the point?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Did you know: Harang was the winningest starter in the majors last year ... the Reds won 24 of the 34 games he started.

Meaning the Reds were 48-80 in game he did not start.

Good to hear about CPatt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If fewer strikeouts doesn't lead to more times on base and more bases per at bat, what's the point?
    Heretic

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

I think he's more underrated in Cincy (and especially on this board) that elsewhere.

He's a true #1.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

He's a true #1.
    Beckett's a true #1

Aaron's a #2, but really gets the most out of everything that he has. He's a true pitcher.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Beckett's a true #1

Aaron's a #2, but really gets the most out of everything that he has. He's a true pitcher.

Beckett?

Has trouble staying healthy.Two years with (barely) 200 innings.

He's had one dominate season, last year.

It's his playoff performances that has gotten him notice.

If Harang is not a #1, there aren't many around. He's accomplished more than most pitchers in the majors, pitching in a bandbox of a ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Beckett's a true #1

Not to rehash the conversation which we've had numerous times, but I find any definition of starter slots which somehow only accounts for about 50-60% of major league starters somewhat specious at best.

Not to mention that Beckett has had an ERA over 5.00 as recently as 2006. All Harang does is throw more innings, strike out more guys, and walk fewer guys. But Beckett, he wins.

Harang might not be an "ace", but he's certainly a #1. If the Reds made the playoffs and Harang pitched Game 1, would Harang then get to count as a true #1? Or maybe he just needs the offense to give him a few more runs so he can win 20 games.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-05-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Not to rehash the conversation...
    sure about that?

Turn Off Ads?