Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albert Pujols

Albert Pujols

I've had the good fortune of keeping Albert Pujols for the past five seasons now. I'm wondering if a good thing is about to come to an end. Reports out of ST have him considering Tommy John surgery at the end of July if the Cards aren't in contention. I think that puts him at about 105 games for the season.

Is anyone else in this situation?

My other two keepers are David Wright and Ryan Howard. Our league allows three keepers and I also have Carl Crawford on my team from last season. So I suppose the question is this: 105 games of Pujols or 162 of Crawford? What should I do?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Albert Pujols

What are your league settings? Also what pick do you have?

People ask fantasy questions which is fine, but to make a good suggestion I need to know a lot more info than just players. Saying standard 5x5 roto might be enough. Things like roster spots, stats, format is needed.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Unless more injury info. comes out I don't think you can drop Pujols. It would be good to know what pick you have or at least what chance you think you have of getting Crawford back in the draft
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Albert's possible surgery is kinda scary, plus he's in a pitiful lineup this year. He's still a stud though. I'd probably keep him, and if he does end up getting surgery, well that just sucks. He would still be worth keeping for next year and the year after that as well. He's that good.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Here's another Pujols question. I have my 10 team draft this Sunday and I'm picking last. If, if he drops too me do I pass or pick him??
    Let's go one step further, what do I do with my #10 and #11 overall picks? These are the players I think will drop too me: Pujols, Crawford, Braun, Santana and Howard.

And again... I need to know draft settings/rosters/stats etc to make a good suggestion.

Why do people ignore that when asking for advice? Also why do people answer when there is no context? It could be a 6x6 adding OPS, or 5 OF spots, or H2H, or etc. You need to know these things to give good advice. In a 14 team h2h with 10x10 which includes 2B, OPS, SLG, K/BB, etc. Crawford has basically no value. Give me a 14 team roto 5x5, 5 OF deep, Crawford has a lot of value. These things need to be said.

Also for that first answer, draft spot matters. In fact, I would want to know the projected keepers of every other manager who pick before you, and what players are free. You might be able to keep Crawford and Pujols if you release Pujols, but not be able to get both if you release Crawford.

For Redsnake, is it 5x5, roto, etc. Is there some strategy you plan to have? Going into a draft with no strategy is a bad idea.

"The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Here's another Pujols question. I have my 10 team draft this Sunday and I'm picking last. If, if he drops too me do I pass or pick him??
    Let's go one step further, what do I do with my #10 and #11 overall picks? These are the players I think will drop too me: Pujols, Crawford, Braun, Santana and Howard.
    You take Crawford and Howard...... Between the two you have 2 guys hitting .285 with 30-35 HRs, 100 RBI, 100 Rs, and 25 SB's.... kinda, if you average them out roughly and all......

ya know?

It's a 7X7 non keeper yahoo points league.
    Pitching extra stat: holds/L
    Hitting: OPS/2B

So what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    It's a 7X7 non keeper yahoo points league.
    Pitching extra stat: holds/L
    Hitting: OPS/2B

So what do I do?
    How are the points spread out? How do you use OPS in a points league? How much are SB worth? RBI? L? etc. If SB is worth the same as an RBI, wouldn't that make Crawford useless? Crawford's value is mostly in roto leagues where SB is a major factor. If power is what's most important, which it seems, then go for power and get 0 speed guys. OPS/2B both increase the importance of power, so maybe Ortiz or Howard are good. Santana might be good since he shouldnt get as many Losses and might get the most Wins. I might say Santana/Howard, but I'd need to know the point system and roster spots to be sure. Also, don't worry about HLDs or draft specifically for them because its so random every year. Middle RP is so different and many RP breakout and/decline sharply.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    How are the points spread out? How do you use OPS in a points league? How much are SB worth? RBI? L? etc. If SB is worth the same as an RBI, wouldn't that make Crawford useless? Crawford's value is mostly in roto leagues where SB is a major factor. If power is what's most important, which it seems, then go for power and get 0 speed guys. OPS/2B both increase the importance of power, so maybe Ortiz or Howard are good. Santana might be good since he shouldnt get as many Losses and might get the most Wins. I might say Santana/Howard, but I'd need to know the point system and roster spots to be sure. Also, don't worry about HLDs or draft specifically for them because its so random every year. Middle RP is so different and many RP breakout and/decline sharply.
    Not sure how OPS can be a points league stat either. Every points league I have ever been in has counted SBs as 2 pts. I would guess his league does too.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Thank goodness I don't play in any league that uses 2 points per steal anymore.

A stolen base is a base and should not be given more weight than simply hitting a double (A lot of scoring systems I've seen give 1 point for a single, 2 points for a double, and 2 points for a steal, which means you're better off hitting a single and stealing than just hitting a double, which is insane).

In most leagues I've played in they have steals as 2 points with caught stealing as minus 1.

How is it that a steal is so valuable that it nets 2 points but losing the baserunner and the extra base is only a one point takeaway?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Thank goodness I don't play in any league that uses 2 points per steal anymore.

A stolen base is a base and should not be given more weight than simply hitting a double (A lot of scoring systems I've seen give 1 point for a single, 2 points for a double, and 2 points for a steal, which means you're better off hitting a single and stealing than just hitting a double, which is insane).

In most leagues I've played in they have steals as 2 points with caught stealing as minus 1.

How is it that a steal is so valuable that it nets 2 points but losing the baserunner and the extra base is only a one point takeaway?
    Because it's FANTASY Baseball. They can up make whatever system they like.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Well at least have rules that make sense.

Sorry, I guess it's not a points league. It's accumulated stats based on the most you have in every category.

Turn Off Ads?