Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know when first cuts are?

Anyone know when first cuts are?

I imagine they'll have to start thinning the herd sometime soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: Anyone know when first cuts are?

Haven't seen a date posted but quite a few teams have sent people down already.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

On that point ex-RED William Bergolla was sent down by the Nats last/earlier this week.

I read where Scott Williamson got released by the Giants yesterday.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I can't wait until we read that Stanton and Castro have been released.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Don't hold your breath.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2011?

I was thinking 2014
    Go Gators!

they have a couple of split-squads next week. I imagine we'll see some after that.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Have the Reds minor league camps opened yet? I wouldn't expect any cuts untill then.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I'm guessing we will see a few cuts this week-end. After Arroyo pitches, the Reds will be going through the rotation for the 3rd time and the starters will probably start stretching to 5 innings or so. Even with the split squad games on Tuesday and Friday, there probably aren't enough innings to go around. If the team gets in a bind, it can always take a minor leaguer or two to a game. The team will probably need to send out the minor leaguers that are going to prepare as starters and have no shot at the rotation and maybe a few others who look like there is no hope.

My guess for first cuts: Alex Smit, Richie Gardner, Matt Maloney, Scott Sauerbeck, Mike Lincoln, Tom Shearn, Tyler Pelland, Ramon Ramirez, Daryl Thompson and with a few less pitchers Chris Kroski and Alvin Colina probably go down. That would still leave 22 pitchers in camp, 8 of whom (Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Fogg, Affeldt) are still rotation candidates who will probably get starters innings and a few guys who only have hope as long relievers like Adkins, Brower, Pettyjohn, and Lehr who may stretch to more than an inning at a time as well. I don't see any of the other position players going down yet. Maybe Tatum goes instead of Colina or in addition to him.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-08-2008 at 04:59 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

From god's mouth to your ear's sadly I believe 1 of the2 will make roster.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Cuts? The Reds still have 62 players in camp, including 35 pitchers -- some of whom have yet to get work. Although Baker met with general manager Wayne Krivsky on Saturday morning, the team has yet to make any roster cuts. Baker gave no indication about when the trimming would start.

"I don't really know. If I did, I really wouldn't say," Baker said. "It'd be like walking death row for some guys. Cut day is no joke. It's the day I hate most in baseball season, especially the later cuts. Those are really tough. There might be more than 25 guys that deserve to be on the team. That makes it tough, too."
    /r/reds

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/s/...snotesweb.html

Baker won't say when first cuts will come

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Saturday, March 08, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. — It is 11 games into the exhibition season and the Cincinnati Reds have yet to cut a player — 64 players still dress in the main clubhouse.

Manager Dusty Baker was asked when the first trim will come and he said, "If I knew, I wouldn't say. That's like Death Row when a player hears what day cuts are coming. I remember it as a player and it was the date I hated most in a baseball season."

So, 35 pitchers, seven catchers, 14 infielders and eight outfielders are collecting big-league meal money, with Baker scrambling to find innings for the squadron of pitchers.

"I'm looking at everybody and we have some tough decisions to make," he said. "We have some really tough decisions on who we'll keep as utility guys. We have more depth in that area than they've had in a long time. Who are we going to keep in the bullpen? Who are our starters?"
    /r/reds

They really should be cutting some of these pitchers that are CLEARLY not making the team.

Turn Off Ads?