Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Who do you got as the Reds starting rotation for opening day?

Re: Who do you got as the Reds starting rotation for opening day?

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez
    Cueto

Fogg
    Affeldt
    Weathers
    Burton
    Cordeo
    McBeth
    Bray (if healthy)

Although part of me thinks Belisle starts the year in the pen, as much as I don't want to see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

The best possible rotation the Reds can put on the field involves Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez. Those two guys have electric arms, they have take a few lumps here and there but by the end of the year I think both are going to be viewed as two very reliable starters.

Homer Bailey still has incredible talent...his secondary stuff looked much better tonight but his command is still inconsistent. Give him a few months in Louisville to correct that and then call him up later in the summer if he shows huge improvement. With the acquisition of Volquez and development of Cueto, the Reds can afford to be very patient with Bailey and let him further develop.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    never mind. I found it. alt key and 236 = ∞
    Hey, that ∞ can go right next to the Euro symbol € (Alt 0128) in my "alternate typing repetoire". Thanks!

Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Fogg, Cueto; I stillhold out hope the Volquez can push out Fogg as I really do not see what he can offer except to not cause us to rush a young guy. So here's hoping 2 of 'em are ready.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Fill in the Blank

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Belisle

™£§•ͺΊ–‘™£Ί•Ά§∞∞£‘™•£Ά’§∞Ί–≠‘«
    …¬∆˙©₯∆˚∂∂˜˜΅˚΅≤∑ί∂ƒ∫˜∆˚∂˜

Loosely translated: "I'm hot for teacher."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

My five would be:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Belisle

For me Belisle is the weakest link in this rotation, go with the kids and let them light things up.

As far as Homer goes, I would be really careful in not making the same mistake the FO did last year. He was rushed to the show when he wasn't ready, and he still isn't ready. I read through the game thread tonight and you could almost feel that the wheels were going to come off after his first inning of work. Consistency and trusting his stuff will be key to his game. He reminds me more and more of Nuke LaLoosh everytime I see him pitch. Hopefuly he can go to AA or AAA and find his Annie Savoy.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

CE's "Check your brain and good sense at the door" Rotation:

1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Bailey
    4. Volquez
    5. Cueto

Sure, they might lose 90 games and sure, they'll be burning cheap pre-arb years for all of the kids -- but it would certainly be exciting to go to the ballpark every day. Speaking purely as a fan, I'm kinda done with waiting for next year.

Plus there is that ever remote chance that everything starts to click for the kids in June and the team makes a run of it right to the finish line.

2008 Cincinnati Reds: Our kids play with fire.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

After watching Volquez tonight and hearing how great Cueto has done I don't know the top 5. Something like this.
    1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Belise
    4. Fogg
    5. Volquez/Cueto

Not sure where Baily goes. I'm just not sure, but some of these guys are going to the pen.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Belisle

Interesting to see that a lot of people don't have Fogg making the rotation much less Belisle. I just don't see either happening to start the season. I'd be all for having EV or JC taking over Fogg's spot, however.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Interesting to see that a lot of people don't have Fogg making the rotation much less Belisle. I just don't see either happening to start the season. I'd be all for having EV or JC taking over Fogg's spot, however.
    Also, no one has Afelt and Dusty really wants a lefty. But I don't either. I think the rightys are just better and we need a decent lefty in the pen. Sucks not having a lefty starting though, but we don't have it. The Fogg pick up should have been a lefty, but they just aren't out there. I've not seen Cueto, but if he is better then Volquz then watch out. I still say one of those two will be in the pen.

And further, it's interesting because Maloney was turning heads when he first got to camp (who is a lefty) though the talk about him has died down. Maybe these last 2-3 are going to be very telling.

High five!

Well after reading through last night's game thread, I amend mine to:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Cueto
    Volquez

The last three could be in any order. Volquez sounded pretty good last night.

Homer starts in AAA and if he improves and if Cueto and Volquez are solid, maybe the Reds think about trading Arroyo for something like a RH, power-hitting OF at the break.

Big "ifs" and "maybe" intentional!

I think the Reds will go with a rotation like this:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez
    Fogg

Bailey will stay in AAA until he fixes his curveball. His change was looking good on Monday, for the most part, but he has no command of that change. For a guy that tall, I would suggest he goes with a slider instead. I keep hearing how great that curve is, but he has never had much command of it. I still think he is going to be a studd, but Louisville for '08 is looking like the spot.

I would think Cueto has earned his spot, but he has no experience so I think the Reds will hold him in "AAA or whatever" until a spot opens up.

Affeldt will go to the pen where he belongs.

I see no reason to believe that Krivsky will allow any of these young arms to go to the big league pen for long. He never mentioned such a notion on Monday Night.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?