Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who do you got as the Reds starting rotation for opening day?

Re: Who do you got as the Reds starting rotation for opening day?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I love how you convieniently left Homer out of that equation.

I know it's impossible to think that he can get his stuff in order and actually DEVELOP into a good pitcher.
    I don't see what the second has to do with the first.

The question in this thread is who do you think will be in the Reds rotation to start the season? We'll probably have a firm idea of how the kids stack up in a week, but saying that Bailey's running third in that race is quickly becoming a statement of observation (rather than opinion). And if you've got him running third among the kids, then whey would you list him when asked to name the rotation?

Homer's always been a weirdness magnet, but this notion that saying something positive about other young pitchers is somehow anti-Homer is straight out of Bizarro World.
    Last edited by M2; 03-08-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Fogg/Belisle
    School's out. What did you expect?

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez
    Fogg/Affeldt

Hopefully either Cueto or Bailey forces their way into the fifth slot. The former has made a strong case so far.

I know it's impossible to think that he can get his stuff in order and actually DEVELOP into a good pitcher.
    I love how if a poster doesn't blow sunshine up Homer's skirt at every opportunity they get accused of saying he's a washout.

So... why does he get in Matt?

I'm not sure that Belisle is the lock I thought he was earlier in the off season. With the additions of Fogg, Alfeldt and Volquez and the emergence of Cueto coupled with the fact that there is a new manager this year I could easily see Belisle being relegated to relief or even AAA if he doesn't do well this spring.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

As of now, he doesn't, at least to start the season, he hasn't shown it....but there's no reason why he can't get in later when the Fogg's and Affeldt's (and maybe Belisle's) of the world show why they shouldn't be in the rotation.

Yes, he has to earn it. Right now, he hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I love how if a poster doesn't blow sunshine up Homer's skirt at every opportunity they get accused of saying he's a washout.
    I love how people assume, based on a handful of big league starts, that a 21 year old kid, still developing his craft, is nothing but a waste of time.

I love how people assume, based on a handful of big league starts, that a 21 year old kid, still developing his craft, is nothing but a waste of time.
    did M2 say that? no.

Did anybody ever say that? no.

I've never ever run into a touchier bunch than those who are convinced Homer is ready for the big leagues right now.

Homer's got a lot of talent and he's young. Just because someone feels he's not ready yet doesn't mean they think he's never going to make it.

Calm down and stop acting like someone called your girlfriend ugly.

I'm not sure that Belisle is the lock I thought he was earlier in the off season. With the additions of Fogg, Alfeldt and Volquez and the emergence of Cueto coupled with the fact that there is a new manager this year I could easily see Belisle being relegated to relief or even AAA if he doesn't do well this spring.
    Does Belisle have options left? I was under the impression he didn't.

Anyway, I think it would be folly to have put all those innings into Belisle to get him to the spot where he might be ready to take a step forward and then not let him take that step. Plus, Baker basically put him in the rotation two weeks ago, so right now he's just working on being ready for April rather than competing for a spot.

My guess is the collapse of all the other LHPs in camp is going to clear a path for Affeldt in the pen.

No one said that, but it's funny how every poster under the age of 30 has saucer eyes for Homer without any caveats.

Sam's Law

There's something I call Sam's Law — after Sam Rich, an attorney from Pittsburgh who has been a friend of mine for many years. Sam's Law is that young pitchers will break your heart. I think that when teams go into a pennant race depending on young pitching, it very often it takes a year or two for that young pitching to be as good as you thought it would be. The Yankees have that problem, and we have that problem — we're depending on [Jon] Lester and [Clay] Buchholz and some other guys to be useful to us. It's going to be interesting to see how many of those young pitchers live up to those expectations.
    http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...0044-2,00.html

did M2 say that? no.

Did anybody ever say that? no.
    It sounds like it sometimes from some people....

I believe I said in previous posts that right now he hasn't shown he's ready for the bigs....and that's ok. He doesn't have to be now, but there's no reason his name can't be in the conversation for later in the season.

And of course saying positive things about Cueto and Volquez indicates that you hate Homer Bailey. I mean, that's just plain as day.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And of course saying positive things about Cueto and Volquez indicates that you hate Homer Bailey. I mean, that's just plain as day.
    I don't like hamburgers.... doesn't mean I don't love fries.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Does Belisle have options left? I was under the impression he didn't.

Anyway, I think it would be folly to have put all those innings into Belisle to get him to the spot where he might be ready to take a step forward and then not let him take that step. Plus, Baker basically put him in the rotation two weeks ago, so right now he's just working on being ready for April rather than competing for a spot.

My guess is the collapse of all the other LHPs in camp is going to clear a path for Affeldt in the pen.

I agree, I just wonder if he'll have a somewhat shorter leash than I initially thought.

Turn Off Ads?