Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We need to look at a RB in round 2

Re: We need to look at a RB in round 2

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Ronnie Brown has indeed separated himself from Benson and Caddy. If not for his fluke injury he has a big time year in 2007. He was on pace to be a top 3 back (stat-wise).

And as a Buckeye fan I'm sure you saw Mendenhall in action a few times, right? I don't see how anyone can question the difference between Slaton and Mendenhall. Mendenhall is a premier back. Just because there has been bad draft years at RB, where the top RB's drafted have struggled, should have no bearing on this year. You could say the same for a number of positions. There is always going to be disappointments. It's just that when a highly drafted RB fails, it's more apparent, because they are at a highly visable position, especially to the common fan.
    Maybe Brown had but now he is coming off major major knee surgery so the difference he had put in between himself and the other two backs has evaporated. Its not fair but it comes with the position and you have to take that into consideration. How many RB's in the league now would you say are better than Willie Parker? If you were to do an even swap how many guys would you be able to trade Parker for? Parker was an undrafted FA and stacks up the best RB's in the league.

I have seen Mendenhall play quite a bit and he was a stud in college. It is yet to be seen whether Mendenhall will be a stud at the next level. Heck if you looked at Slaton after his soph season he could have been one of the earlier RB's off the board.In the 2005 NFL Draft when three RB's went in the first five picks the two more successful RB's went in the 3rd and 4th rounds in Frank Gore and Barber respectively.

IMO in today's NFL RB has become a position by committee. Their isn't a great difference between the top backs and the lesser hyped backs. I just feel it is foolish for the Bengals to waste a top pick on a position that isn't in that great of need. DT, S, DE, LB are all greater positions of need than RB.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Some, including me, might say that Willie Parker's success is largely due to being a product of the Steelers' offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO in today's NFL RB has become a position by committee. Their isn't a great difference between the top backs and the lesser hyped backs. I just feel it is foolish for the Bengals to waste a top pick on a position that isn't in that great of need. DT, S, DE, LB are all greater positions of need than RB.
    Well said.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Maybe Brown had but now he is coming off major major knee surgery so the difference he had put in between himself and the other two backs has evaporated. Its not fair but it comes with the position and you have to take that into consideration. How many RB's in the league now would you say are better than Willie Parker? If you were to do an even swap how many guys would you be able to trade Parker for? Parker was an undrafted FA and stacks up the best RB's in the league.

I have seen Mendenhall play quite a bit and he was a stud in college. It is yet to be seen whether Mendenhall will be a stud at the next level. Heck if you looked at Slaton after his soph season he could have been one of the earlier RB's off the board.In the 2005 NFL Draft when three RB's went in the first five picks the two more successful RB's went in the 3rd and 4th rounds in Frank Gore and Barber respectively.

I also don't believe that the Bengals should take a RB early in this draft. My point was that if a team has a need at RB, they should not overlook a serious talent like Mendenhall or Stewart. The odds are that both won't be stars, but any position drafted early could have those same odds.

I also took issue with you lumping Ronnie Brown in with Caddy and Benson. Both Benson and Caddy have two of the bigger RB disappointments not named Chris Perry. Ronnie Brown had a solid 2006 and then played half a season last year (before his injury) and was on pace for a Steven Jackson-like year (stat-wise). Hardly comparable to Benson (3 YPC) or Caddy Williams.

I also agree with camisadelgolf that Willie Parker is an overrated back that has thrived behind a great line. I get your point though, and I'd counter that every position has undrafted players that end up as pro bowlers. That doesn't mean you take that position for granted in future drafts. It's all about a particular team's needs and although I agree a RB would not be in the Bengals best interests, it might be for another team and they shouldn't pass up a gamebreaking RB simply because others have failed before them.

Latest mock draft from Rivals.com has the Bengals selecting:

The Pick: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois*
    The buzz: The Bengals could surprise here and add a well-rounded feature back to balance out their offense.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=775564

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?