Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to look at a RB in round 2

Re: We need to look at a RB in round 2

I agree with that, no need to reach just grab your RB or whoever is there on the board, you need good solid talent...Mendenhall is a top 10 guy so is Stewart, I'd like to grab a guy (RB) in round 2 but all the draft boards have about 10-12 guys that are standout type of guys after that its all bets are off and everybodys pretty close to one another. They can come back to defense in round 2. The thing is if a offensive guy falls in your lap grab him and go on. A Mendenhall or McFadden should be scooped up.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    If Dorsey and Ellis are gone by the 9th pick, I really think the Bengals just need to go to the best player available theory.

If Keith Rivers is your BPA then, then take him. If it's Mendenhall, take him. If it's McKelvin or Mike Davis then take one of them.

I just don't think the Bengals should reach at #9 and take Derrick Harvey just because they think they have to pick a D line.
    I agree with that for the most part, but at this point, I think it would be a better call to reach for a defensive end than to take a cornerback in the first round a third year in a row.

the thing is say you grab a DE Harvey or who else Merling or Groves even Rivers, I dont think theyll crack your lineup...Harvey, Merling and Graves arent game changers like one of the RBs could be if theyre there McFadden or Mendenhall.

If a really good back is their and he is the best available player than you select him.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I don't buy taking the best player available in the NFL draft. If a great QB was there would you draft him with Carson on the team? No, you'd draft someone else or trade down. I really like McFadden, but I don't want the Bengals drafting him if he's there. The Bengals must take the best defensive player in the front 7. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They have no choice.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

3rd round is probably the earliest I would consider drafting a running back.

The Bengals must take the best defensive player in the front 7. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They have no choice.
    Sure they do. They have every choice in the world. If they decide they've got enough money tied up at DE with Geathers and Odom, they have the choice not to take a DE. Or they might figure that with a top-ten pick they need to draft a difference-maker whatever the position, then use their remaining day 1 picks to fill their needs.

I think history shows that passing up a superior player in round 1 to draft for need often blows up in your face. And I think RB is a major area of need. I think it's highly questionable how much tread Rudi has left on his tires, and I think that an offense that could control the ball better would have a beneficial effect on the defense.

But I'm hoping that Dorsey or Ellis slips to #9 and makes this argument moot.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I don't buy taking the best player available in the NFL draft. If a great QB was there would you draft him with Carson on the team? No, you'd draft someone else or trade down. I really like McFadden, but I don't want the Bengals drafting him if he's there. The Bengals must take the best defensive player in the front 7. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They have no choice.
    I understand your reasoning on not taking a QB if that was the best player available, but in the Bengals situation (besides QB) they do not have one position that they can clearly say that they are set.

If you were the Bengals and your big board had Mendenhall #1 by a lot, Clady, McKelvn, and Rivers in that order at the top when your pick came up, you'd take the #4 guy just because he plays LB?

I can understand taking D only if the players left when the pick came up were all scouted as equals, but if neither DT is there at #9, you have to take the player that you think can help yor team the most in the future. This team doesn't have the luxury of a team like San Diego, who have depth at every position.
    Matta = Really good

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post

If you were the Bengals and your big board had Mendenhall #1 by a lot, Clady, McKelvn, and Rivers in that order at the top when your pick came up, you'd take the #4 guy just because he plays LB?
    I hear you hummin'. I understand your point, but I don't trust the Bengals "big board", and I believe with the #9 pick you should be able to get a great defensive player. The Bengals must get more defensive help.

I can understand taking D only if the players left when the pick came up were all scouted as equals, but if neither DT is there at #9, you have to take the player that you think can help yor team the most in the future. This team doesn't have the luxury of a team like San Diego, who have depth at every position.
    They should trade the pick then. They need a lot more on defense than they do on offense. I don't trust the quantity of If's at LB and their front 4 is questionable at best. I really wouldn't mind them trading down to get an additional pick later in the draft.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

I hear you hummin'. I understand your point, but I don't trust the Bengals "big board", and I believe with the #9 pick you should be able to get a great defensive player. The Bengals must get more defensive help.

They should trade the pick then. They need a lot more on defense than they do on offense. I don't trust the quantity of If's at LB and their front 4 is questionable at best. I really wouldn't mind them trading down to get an additional pick later in the draft.
    I totally agree that the Bengals need defensive help, and hopefully Dorsey or Ellis are there making these arguments moot.

I also hope that if Ellis and Dorsey are gone that they can trade down. I'm always in favor of trading down as long as you get good value in the trade. If by some miracle, McFadden is there at #9 and you can get Jerry Jones to give up his 2 #1 picks this year then that would be great.

But if you don't trust the Bengals big board, how can you trust them to trade down and get value?
    Matta = Really good

If McFadden falls to 9 (which he won't) and the Bengals don't take him it will be one of the biggest draft day blunders in history. Remember the last time we passed on a franchise running back for defense, Justin Smith went 4 and LT went 5.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

You take the best player available based on need. However, that does not mean that you take the best player at a set position.

Lets say the following players are available when the Bengals pick:

Ryan Clady
    Derrick Harvey
    Kentwan Balmer
    Kenny Phillips
    Leodis McKelvin

Balmer and Harvey are reaches at 9, while McKelvin fills a position that is really not a need. Phillips fills a need, but his stock is falling. Clady is there and is the best player of everyone available, and with Willie on the verge of a full breakdown, you take him.

Best player available to fill a need.

For the record, if I substituted Clady with Mendenhall, I would probably take Mendenhall. And I would weather the character issues and take McFadden.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think you go BPA and if it doesn't fit within the position you trade down for depth. Obviously, you will target areas of need, but might as well get the most value possible.

Here is my thing with RB's. There isnt that much of a drop off when you go later in the rounds. Look at the draft when Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, and Benson went early in the draft. None of those backs have separated themselves from the pack. All were considered top picks but the value isn't there. In reality what is the difference between Mendenhall and Slaton? They probably will be separated by 3-4 rounds and it isn't out of the question that Slaton will be a better back.

I think you go with a DT in the first. I think either Ellis or Dorsey will be there at 9. If somehow McFadden slips to 9 I get on the phone with Dallas and say what are you offering? 2nd round I look LB at Lofton from Oklahoma. The Bengals should have two picks in the third and I look at TE and DB. I would find it interesting to see what happens if a guy like DeShawn Jackson slips to their second rounds slot. I also wonder if they take a chance on a high talent guy who has slipped because of character flags.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here is my thing with RB's. There isnt that much of a drop off when you go later in the rounds. Look at the draft when Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, and Benson went early in the draft. None of those backs have separated themselves from the pack. All were considered top picks but the value isn't there. In reality what is the difference between Mendenhall and Slaton? They probably will be separated by 3-4 rounds and it isn't out of the question that Slaton will be a better back.

Ronnie Brown has indeed separated himself from Benson and Caddy. If not for his fluke injury he has a big time year in 2007. He was on pace to be a top 3 back (stat-wise).

And as a Buckeye fan I'm sure you saw Mendenhall in action a few times, right? I don't see how anyone can question the difference between Slaton and Mendenhall. Mendenhall is a premier back. Just because there has been bad draft years at RB, where the top RB's drafted have struggled, should have no bearing on this year. You could say the same for a number of positions. There is always going to be disappointments. It's just that when a highly drafted RB fails, it's more apparent, because they are at a highly visable position, especially to the common fan.

Turn Off Ads?