Jay Bruce RF
    Joey Votto 1B
    Jolbert Cabrera 3B
    Jeff Keppinger SS
    Chris Kroski C
    Juan Castro 2B
    Ryan Hannigan DH

Matt Belisle P

It's 52 degrees here at Progress Energy Park. The Rays PR apologized to me because I'm in the outdoor press box. "I know it's really chilly out there." If he only knew. I'm sure a lot of you are still digging out back in the Tristate. Marty and Thom on the radio ought to warm things up a bit.

This is a beautiful site for a ballpark. Nice view of the bay. The Rays new park is supposed to be built here.

This is a big start for Belisle. I'm not sure if he's on bubble as far as the rotation. But with the young guys pitching well, you'd think the Reds would be looking at all alternatives

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3/9/08 vs Deviless Rays

Bruce is going deep today.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

After his stinker last time out, I would say today is a rather important outing for Matt Belisle...

Rocco Baldelli's injury leaves the Rays short on OF help and long on guys who are likely only realistic options at DH most of the time (Floyd, Gomes, Baldelli) or the DL. Hopper and Freel playing today may prove valuable should the Reds want to move one as they cut down the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

leadoff single....followed by a double off of Belisle.

Belisle had the runner picked off of first, but hesitated, allowing the runner to get in safely to 2nd. Runners at 2nd and 3rd with nobody out, 3-2 count I believe on Upton.

And he walks him.... Mr. Belisle, if you continue at this rate, it's going to be Fogg, Cueto, and Volquez coming north in the rotation.

Reds had the runner picked off between first and second, but Belisle hesitated the throw to second, threw to first, and the runner ended up safe at second. Then he promptly walks the batter.

1,2,3 double play.....

Nice comeback...gets the K to end the inning without giving up a run

Very nice to see. That inning, and Belisle's spring, could have disintegrated rather quickly. Nice to see him bounce back.

We saw the best and worst of Matt Belisle that inning. He gives up lots of runners and goes deep into counts, but he gets groundballs which limits damage and leads to a DP here. He follows it up with enough stuff to blow it by the hitters.

He needs a couple of easy innings or he'll still leave a bad taste in Dusty's mouth IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

i'm here! nice & sunny...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    We saw the best and worst of Matt Belisle that inning. He gives up lots of runners and goes deep into counts, but he gets groundballs which limits damage and leads to a DP here.
    Usually he freaks and gives up a crap load of runs when he gets in those situations...that time he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Usually he freaks and gives up a crap load of runs when he gets in those situations...that time he didn't.
    Exactly. That's a good sign, I guess.

It's why his peripherals look better than his production. It's not luck -- it's the fact that he lets a little adversity lead to a lot of runs. That's what scouts call "makeup." Can he make big pitches in big spots to avoid damage? Up to now, the answer has been "no."

Turn Off Ads?