Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds 25-man Roster on March 31??

got alil captain in u?

Re: Reds 25-man Roster on March 31??

If im Dusy the 25 players i take nort are a starting rotation of
    1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Belisle
    4. Volquez
    5. Cueto
    Homer needs some more seasoning in Louisville especially with his control and continueing to use all of his pitches.
    Bullpen
    Cordero,Weathers, Burton, Affedlt, Majewski, Bray, Roenicke, and Fogg as the long man.

Position Players
    Votto
    Hatteberg
    B. Phillips
    Kepp
    Ede
    Dunn
    Jr.
    Hopper
    Bruce
    Valentin
    Ross
    Cabrera
    Im keeping cabrera because i think freel will get dealt sometime here before the end of spring training. There's no need for him on this team. Cabrera can play all the positions freel could play. Coutlangus and salmon both get sent to louisville but i'd be telling them not to unpack their things to quickly incase of injury or bad outings. Fogg i think gets traded or becomes the long man in the bullpen. Their not just going to eat his one million in salary.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jaredbo View Post
    As I am sitting here listening to the Reds-Rays game on WLW, I was wondering how everyone sees the Reds roster working itself out. So, I sat down and worked out my roster if I were Dusty Baker and Wayne Krivsky.

Pitchers (13) (always seem to be nice to carry an extra pitcher to begin the year)
    SP A. Harang
    SP B. Arroyo
    SP H. Bailey
    SP J. Fogg
    SP J. Cueto
    RP F. Cordero
    RP D. Weathers
    RP J. Burton
    RP J. Affeldt
    RP E. Volquez
    RP T. Coffey
    RP J. Coutlangus (only because he is the best of the rest of the left-handers)
    RP M. Belisle (odd man out of rotation, long reliever to start the year)

Position players (12)
    C J. Valentin*
    C P. Bako
    1B J. Votto*
    1B S. Hatteberg
    2B B. Phillips*
    SS J. Keppinger*
    3B E. Encarnacion*
    RF K. Griffey, Jr.*
    CF J. Bruce*
    LF A. Dunn*
    CF N. Hopper
    CF/Utility R. Freel (if not traded)

*starters

DL
    C D. Ross
    RP B. Bray
    SS A. Gonzalez

Send Down to Minors
    RP G. Majewski (if he has options left)
    RP M. McBeth
    CF D. Anderson (if he can clear waivers)

Release
    RP M. Stanton
    RP S. Valenzuela (sent back to Atlanta Braves)
    SS J. Castro

Again this is just my opinion. Let me know what you think.
    I could go for this. Seems pretty solid.

My 25 man list:

SP: Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Edinson Volquez
    Matt Belisle
    Johnny Cueto

RP: Cordero
    Weathers
    Burton
    Salmon
    Coffey
    Roenicke
    Bray
    Affeldt/Fogg-whichever is better

Infield Starters:
    1B-Joey Votto
    2B- Brandon Phillips
    3B- Edwin
    SS- Keppinger

Infield Reserves- Hatteberg
    Freel

Catchers: Paul Bako
    Javier Valentin

Starting Outfielders: Ken Griffey
    Jay Bruce
    Adam Dunn

Outfield Reserves: Norris Hopper

On DL: David Ross, Alex Gonzalez

Released: Juan Castro, Mike Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    My 25 man list:

SP: Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Edinson Volquez
    Matt Belisle
    Johnny Cueto

RP: Cordero
    Weathers
    Burton
    Salmon
    Coffey
    Roenicke
    Bray
    Affeldt/Fogg-whichever is better

Infield Starters:
    1B-Joey Votto
    2B- Brandon Phillips
    3B- Edwin
    SS- Keppinger

Infield Reserves- Hatteberg
    Freel

Catchers: Paul Bako
    Javier Valentin

Starting Outfielders: Ken Griffey
    Jay Bruce
    Adam Dunn

Outfield Reserves: Norris Hopper

On DL: David Ross, Alex Gonzalez

Released: Juan Castro, Mike Stanton
    That looks good. The only thing is that Bray's on the DL and we have both Affeldt and Fogg in RP with Fogg in the long relief role. Catcher is so weak with Ross on the DL. It needs to be upgraded if Ross appears to have chronic back troubles.
    I'm not as high on Bray as other people. He's always had control problems and is very hittable. But he's still better than almost any other Lefty RP we have. Coffey's good enough to be given another chance. Magic is a lot worse than Coffee. Salmon is similar to Coffee in terms of moving between AAA and MLB, but he has enough upside. I might have McBeth instead of him, but it's not a big difference. Roenicke HAS to make this team and I think he can become that dominating 7th inning get out of jams type guy, along with Burton. I don't think it would hurt to have 12 pitchers and add a guy like Rosales as a RH pinch hitter/UTL player.

Even though we all want Stanton released, I don't think it will happen. At least not until after a month or so go by.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    That looks good. The only thing is that Bray's on the DL and we have both Affeldt and Fogg in RP with Fogg in the long relief role. Catcher is so weak with Ross on the DL. It needs to be upgraded if Ross appears to have chronic back troubles.
    I'm not as high on Bray as other people. He's always had control problems and is very hittable. But he's still better than almost any other Lefty RP we have. Coffey's good enough to be given another chance. Magic is a lot worse than Coffee. Salmon is similar to Coffee in terms of moving between AAA and MLB, but he has enough upside. I might have McBeth instead of him, but it's not a big difference. Roenicke HAS to make this team and I think he can become that dominating 7th inning get out of jams type guy, along with Burton. I don't think it would hurt to have 12 pitchers and add a guy like Rosales as a RH pinch hitter/UTL player.
    Bill Bray is scheduled to make an appearance today, and we will see how healthy he is. If healthy, he should be good enough to make the roster. I have Salmon as considerably better than McBeth, but it is certainly debatable. I think McBeth needs to work on his control in AAA, while Salmon showed he could handle MLB hitters last year. As for Affeldt and Fogg, it simply may not be possible to carry both of them on the roster. We signed both of them as insurance in case the kids weren't ready, but it seems like at least some of them might be ready. That might lead to one of them being released before Opening Day or sent down to AAA.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaredbo View Post
    Pitchers (13) (always seem to be nice to carry an extra pitcher to begin the year)
    SP A. Harang
    SP B. Arroyo
    SP H. Bailey ~While I really like Homer, he hasn't proved he belongs in the bigs right now...he'll start in AAA without a doubt.
    SP J. Fogg~another solid pitcher, but with the way Cueto and Volquez are throwing, he's a number 5 starter.
    SP J. CuetoDefinitely coming north and in the rotation, currently somewhere between a #3 or 4.
    RP F. Cordero
    RP D. Weathers
    RP J. Burton
    RP J. Affeldt~another guy I really like, but with our shortage of lefties in the pen and the two youngsters stepping up, he's shifted to the pen without a doubt.
    RP E. Volquez~I agree with most people that he CAN succeed in the pen, but he's certainly earned the right to be in the rotation. His performance has warranted a #3 or 4 spot. Definitely coming north.
    RP T. Coffey
    RP J. Coutlangus ~certainly hasn't impressed, but with lefty shortage, he's got a decent shot of making the trip north. I'm still on the fence with Cout.
    RP M. Belisle~all of the talk about him guarenteed a rotation spot is a bit exaggerated IMO. He's decent now, and has to potential to be excellent...but in a spring of competition, he's fallen behind considerably. Long man in the pen with Affeldt.

Position players (12)
    C J. Valentin*
    C P. Bako
    1B J. Votto*
    1B S. Hatteberg
    2B B. Phillips*
    SS J. Keppinger*
    3B E. Encarnacion*
    RF K. Griffey, Jr.*
    CF J. Bruce*
    LF A. Dunn*
    CF N. Hopper
    CF/Utility R. Freel Will be traded.

*starters

DL
    C D. Ross
    RP B. Bray ~if not on the DL, then Coutlangus gets the AAA treatment and Bray's in the Bigs.
    SS A. Gonzalez

Send Down to Minors
    RP G. Majewski (if he has options left)
    RP M. McBeth
    CF D. Anderson (if he can clear waivers)

Release
    RP M. Stanton
    RP S. Valenzuela (sent back to Atlanta Braves)
    SS J. Castro

Again this is just my opinion. Let me know what you think.
    Other than a few minor changes (as I've added in bold) I'd say you're pretty close to spot on. The arguments about Fogg and Affeldt being in the rotation because of their contracts is a bit exaggerated I think. They are insurance policies for the youngsters. But both Cueto and Volquez have stepped up and proven that they deserve a shot...NOW, not later. So for now Affeldt is a long man and spot starter and Fogg is a #4 or more likely a #5 starter. The only real difference between them is that we have a big need for a lefty in the pen...so Fogg gets the edge for the rotation.

While I'd personally like to see a rotation of:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Bailey

it probably won't happen this year. But one can still dream. :O)

If Freel IS traded before spring ends, then I'd like to see Janish come north as a defensive backup to Keppinger at SS. There are several others that are VERY close calls though. Rosales, Roenicke, Cabrerra, Salmon, Phillips and Thompson have all impressed me and they could all get callups during the season.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 03-12-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Reds Opening Day Roster:

Starting Rotation:
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Matt Belisle
    Josh Fogg
    Jerremy Affeldt

Bullpen:
    Coco Codero
    David Weathers
    Todd Coffey
    Jared Burton
    Jose Capellan
    Bill Bray
    Mike Stanton

Freel/Hopper/Patterson cf
    Jeff Keppinger ss
    Ken Griffey, Jr. rf
    Brandon Phillips 2b
    Adam Dunn lf
    Edwin Encarnacion 3b
    Joey Votto 1b
    Javy Valentin c

Paul Bako
    Ryan Freel
    Scott Hatteberg (traded to make room for Patterson)

Bailey, Cueto & Bruce all to Louisville

Cueto & Bruce to Reds by May 1

Freel will be traded to make room for Bruce
    Stanton will be released to make room for Cueto

NOT MY ROSTER, ONLY MY PREDICTIONS
    Last edited by chettt; 03-13-2008 at 01:25 PM.

13 pitchers is too many to start with when they have all of the early off days and tough decisions that need to be made with position players who don't have options while about all of the serious pitching candidates do have options. The excess younger pitchers would be better served by working in AAA instead of sitting with the big team. The team will be better served by using one or two of those spots which may eventaully go to pitchers to buy time on their position player decisons.

I see Cueto and Bailey as starters only probably one in Cincy and one in AAA to start the year. Right now it looks like Cueto in Cincy; but is he even a 40 man roster guy yet? That could figure into the decision (did not say should figure, said could figure). Volquez is a bubble guy. Do you put him in the pen in Cincy or let him start in AAA until you really need him in Cincy? If Bray is healthy between now and the cutdown, he is the 2nd leftie.

They need a right handed bat with some pop off the bench. Of the folks in the org right now that is Cabrera or A.Phillips. As a switch hitter Valentin could save them a spot here but whether he starts or backs up, he is tied to catching duties until Ross is back. So somebody else makes the team as the bench RH bat. A trade of Freel or Hattie might be a swap which could bring in somebody else for this role.

They have to have a middle infielder on the bench, preferably a guy who can play short so they aren't stuck moving B.Phillips over there if Keppinger would be hurt before Gonzo is back. Accordingly, Jannish could be a sleeper here to fill the roster spot until Gonzo comes off the DL

Patterson makes the team regardless of where Bruce starts the year. If Bruce is in Cincy, Patterson is the 4th OF. Hopper also makes the team. They say you can't steal 1st but he comes pretty close to it with his bunting skills plus his defense is better than Freel's.

Do they really eat the $3M on Stanton???

Castro starts the year on the DL instead of being released. Given the date of his elbow surgery that is a legit move. They are already on the hook for his $1M+ salary so why cut loose a potentially valuable property when you can park him on the DL. Age may be eating at his range; but if he can throw he can sill pick it well enough to back up all 4 infield positions and that makes him valuable, if not to the Reds in a deal at some point during the year.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 03-14-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?