Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: 3/10/08 vs Evil Empire (Yankees)

Re: 3/10/08 vs Evil Empire (Yankees)

Does this outing solidify that Homer is headed to AAA? I know some would argue that was his destiny all along, but does this outing seal the deal you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Does this outing solidify that Homer is headed to AAA? I know some would argue that was his destiny all along, but does this outing seal the deal you think?
    I imagine he'll get a chance to relieve Volquez on the Ides of March before getting cut, but I'd think he's de facto out of the rotation picture at the moment.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Volquez quotes:

I just try to do my job, whatever happens, happens.

Are you motivated by competition for the spot in the rotation?
    I don't like to say competition, we just have a lot of good players. I hope to be in the rotation this year. Bailey has a good arm and good stuff, we're going to be good with Cueto and a couple of good guys.

How about the first inning, striking out the Murder's Row of ARod, Giambi and Matsui?
    I try to put a little extra -- when you look out and see those guys out there, I have to think a little more about how to pitch to them

I've been working on my fastball command and my breaking ball too, I just want to throw strikes.

Have you heard what they are saying in Texas, how they gave up nothing to get Josh Hamilton?
    When they told me I got traded, I said all right, there's nothing I can do.

Do you want a start in spring?
    Yeah, definiltey. I've never been in the bullpen, coming behind someone. I've always started. I came in the bullpen in 05 or 06. I don't like staying in the bullpen.

Dusty:

They're throwing the ball well. Homer was throwing the ball great early and then got out of sync there for a couple of innings, but still threw the ball well. Just lost his rhythm.

Volquez, he's throwing the ball great. He didn't have any slouches, you go through that line up, you earn everything you get. He threw the ball great. I like his attitude, he doesn't like giving up anything. I can't see him as one of htose six-=inning, quality start, three runs or less guy, he's upset when he gives up anything and that's the attitude you like to see.

Homer Bailey (2 1/3 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, 3 Ks):

Early on it was fastballs, I was getting ahead of the hitters. Then I started rushing and was still able to throw offspeed a lot. That lineup over there, they're all right, I guess. It's a pretty good lineup. There were a couple of pitches, one to Giambi, one to A-Rod, I left them three inches up and those are definitely hitters you don't want to make mistakes to. You make a slight mistake and they punish them, that's what they makes them good.

On not looking at the lineup, and just pitching to the catcher:
    Once you get in there it doesn't matter. i laughed at myself, the second inning, got two quick outs and then walked the No. 9 batter (and Johnny Damon) to get to Jeter, and I laughed at myself to get to Jeter -- nice job. But I got out of it. But no, I don't look at the names on the back of their jerseys -- they don't have any.

General feeling on outing?
    There was some good things and some bad things. The good things were: I got ahead of a lot of hitters, the changeup and curveball were pretty good, the cutter I've been working was a bad thing. I had some pretty tight spots and I was able to get out of them. The pitch count ran up. The bad, the cutter, I think I rushed things a bit. There were a couple of calls I thought were close, at the knees. I think when I missed, I missed right below the knees, which is where you want to miss.

On shortstop Paul Janish's play:
    He's a guy, you turn around and you love seeing him behind you, he makes them all.

Does he feel like he's progressing this spring?
    Definitely. Today there was a mix with the night game that may have shook me. I got up at 8 today and couldn't go back to sleep, I was pretty pissed off. But I'm progressing well, it's still early in spring. I'm working on getting my innings in and pitch count.

I was going 60 today, no ifs, ands or buts.

Is he being pushed by a feeling of competition in camp?
    Not so much, i don't look at a lot of that. Any time the other guys, Volquez, Cueto, Maloney, I want them to do well. They're teammates or going to be teammates, I want them to do well, too. I never wish them bad. As far as competition toward them? No. I don't see it as a competition at all, everyone goes out there and does well, more power to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I just try to do my job, whatever happens, happens.
    There's that word again.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Volquez wow, he reminds me a of a young Bartolo Colon. He has already got his innings pitched up to 175 last year, so he could go 200. I would put him in the rotation.

Bailey kinda yucky, he needs development time on his mechanics, it is all there, the repetition is not. He needs to have a competent pitching coach who can relate to him on a personal level, and work on that delivery. He was so sloppy, watching on the DVR it was so obvious, he has trouble recreating his delivery especially from the stretch. He needs to be coached up a little, if he can master his mechanics watch out.

I want to see Cueto again. I haven't seen him since Dayton two years ago. It seems he is throwing harder now then he was before.

Why are we even discussing sending Bruce to AAA?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I know I'm not adding anything new to this thread, but WOW for Volquez! Am I wrong in assuming that fastball to Giambi was at least 97MPH? In a perfect world, I'd say Volquez just obliterated any doubts about whether or not he should be in the rotation. A bunch of my friends were asking me why I watch baseball today...those last four innings summed it up pretty well.

Honestly, I think Bailey was just trying to work on that curve. Its spring training. Last year he was criticized for throwing FB FB FB, and I was glad to see him dropping the deuce (not like that) a lot. Now, I would like to see him locate it better, but I liked what I saw from him and his changeup was better than I remember. I think of the 3 he could use a little while in AAA the most to work on his command as I think with Cueto-Volquez its more of a head thing. I think as of right now, its gotta be Harang-Arroyo-Belisle-Cueto-Volquez. Throw Fogg and Affeldt in the pen which automatically makes it better, Affeldt becomes the lefty to kick Coutlangus and Stanton out while waiting on Bray.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Cueto
    Volquez

Fogg (long relief)
    Affeldt
    Bray
    Weathers
    Burton
    Cordero

And for the last spot, let Majewski and Coffey battle. Both have been successful before and have proven their major leaguers, but have to regain their form.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I think it' a virtual certainty that Homer starts the season in AAA.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Curious about Volquez's curve... how did it look?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He didn't throw it very often but he did get a gew over, especially late in his outing. It still needs work

He didn't throw it very often but he did get a gew over, especially late in his outing.
    I'm not sure he has to do much more than get it over....Thanks

I'll have to watch it again, but it looked like he threw the slider more than the curve.

I didn't see Volquez throw his curve with my own 2 eyes, but from what others (earlier in the thread) were saying, he was hanging it a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Jay Bruce looks alot like Junior at the plate.
    Jay Bruce has said that he has spent time trying to emulated Junior's swing.

Turn Off Ads?