Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rule V pick Valenzuela sold back to braves.

got alil captain in u?

Rule V pick Valenzuela sold back to braves.

Per 1530 the Homers website rule v pick sergio valenzuela was sold back to the reds today. Ramon Ramirez was also options to louisville. The reds now have 62 players on the roster.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rule V pick Valenzuela sold back to braves.

This was one of the dumbest moves ever. Absolutely made no sense. Remember we cut Cantu loose for this. Didn't trade him, didn't bring him in to ST. I never understood this move by WK.

Please someone explain it to me. Especially in light of how little value $25K has to this organization.

He pitched no innings for the Reds outside of an intrasquad game. I imagine there simply were better options available in the bullpen.

Obviously there are better options. This pick/process was a complete lack of thinking. It really was one of the stupidest things I've seen an organization do.

They trade Calvin Medlock and Brian Shackelford to get Cantu. Cantu was the vital role to the playoffs that was so important the Reds gave up 2 decent RP prospects.

They then don't protect Guevara and let him go in the draft.
    "Guevara was very good at Chattanooga last season -- 2.32 ERA, 16 saves. He's got a change-up/screwball that helped him strike out 87 in 62 innings."
    He was also a pretty decent RP prospect.

They then Cut Cantu in order to pick up Sergio Valenzuela.
    "Valenzuela was 1-3 with a 7.00 ERA last season in Single-A, 3-4 with 6.04 ERA in 2006 in Rookie Ball."
    Cantu cost 1-2Mil, so what? He's a decent enough RH 1B/pinch hitter with UTL capabilities. If he doesn't work out, then it's easy to trade him.

Now they send back Valenzuela for nothing.

So the Reds gave up... Medlock / Shackelford / Guevara / and the ability to retain Cantu for 1.5M in order to get .... absolutely nothing.

If you didn't notice, the Braves, after buying Valenzuela back, immediately traded him to some Mexican league team for future considerations.

ATLANTA BRAVES-Traded RHP Sergio Valenzuela to Monclova (Mexican) for future considerations.

If that doesn't tell you the value of this kid nothing does...
    Last edited by Az. Reds Fan; 03-11-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30
    Cantu cost 1-2Mil, so what? He's a decent enough RH 1B/pinch hitter with UTL capabilities. If he doesn't work out, then it's easy to trade him.
    That's kind of expensive for a utility guy who would be 3rd on the depth chart at 1B. And at 3B, Cantu's career fielding percentage is .914; 20 points lower than Encarnacion's. Cantu would be kept for his bat, but Keppinger is cheaper, more versatile, and very effective at the plate.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but Cantu would have been arbitration eligible so the Reds would have had to endure that process just to re-sign him. If that's the case, I can certainly see just dropping him from the roster. If I'm wrong, arbitration still confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    If that doesn't tell you the value of this kid nothing does...
    That's why he was a Rule V player. Rule V's are huge gambles that rarely pay off. Josh Hamilton spoiled us.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post

So the Reds gave up... Medlock / Shackelford / Guevara / and the ability to retain Cantu for 1.5M in order to get .... absolutely nothing.
    We still have a chance to get Guevara back. He was injured early and will start the season on the DL with the Padres. It is just as likely he could be sold back to the Reds if he does not work out with the Padres.

Anyone wanna bet that those scrubs we traded for Canti turn into just that. . . .scrubs.

Turn Off Ads?