Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Has Anyone Tried This Phone Service? $19.95 a year

Has Anyone Tried This Phone Service? $19.95 a year

I saw this on a commerical last night. Once you buy the inital equipment, it is only $19.95 a year. It connects to the USB port in your computer.

www.magicjack.com
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: Has Anyone Tried This Phone Service? $19.95 a year

I have not, but there has been discussion on Fatwallet.com about that device from time to time. Do a forums search there and you will probably get some feedback.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Doesn't sound bad, but just like any other telephone service its not for everyone I'm sure. I'm curious as to if you could get it to work on all phones in your house. I, as some of you know, worked for TWC for some time and did a lot of digital phone installs. It would seem that you may be able to wire your whole house in much the same way depending on the strength of the dialtone. I am weary of a phone service through a computer though. There would seem to be risks there if you have computer problems you lose service and all that. Just like digital phone, you have to be aware that if the power goes out, you lose your phone service. I always made customers aware of that. With cell phones that isn't a problem, but everybody knows how often cell phones seem to be low on battery at key times. If concerned about emergency calls, I always left a jack wired with the telephone land line even if they cancelled service with their provider. Even though it is disconnected by the Phone Company, it will allow 911 calls. If that is a route you decide to go, I would suggest getting a plain ol' hard wired phone and putting it on that jack. Just a few suggestions. If you know somebody who knows how to do phone work, you might want to try wiring it through your house/apartment. You simply cant beat the price. I wouldn't suggest trying it yourself without some knowlege on phone repair, but I can give anybody some help if they need it. I would be very interested to find out if it works.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Do a Google search for "Sunrocket Bankruptcy" to see what can happen to a phone provider that charges so little for service. As long as you understand the roll of the dice that this represents and you have a backup plan for phone service if the company goes kaput, you can probably enjoy some substantial savings for however long the company stays in business.

I used to work for yet another small VoIP provider and I've seen up close what the level of support is at companies like this when the cash flow is so small. That's why I'd be wary of depending heavily on this service or investing much prepaid money for future service from it.
    /r/reds

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Do a Google search for "Sunrocket Bankruptcy" to see what can happen to a phone provider that charges so little for service.
    One of those old rules that rears its ugly head all the time... "you get what you pay for".

Turn Off Ads?