Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LP records, what to do...

Re: LP records, what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Not just LPs...CDs are now going for a dime a dozen. I'm sure that millions of homes have hoards of these things that are pretty-much worthless at this point. About eight years ago, in anticipation of the download era and the eventually obsolescence of the format, I sold about 150 on half.com. Decided to keep my favorites (about 125 of them), but now wish I'd just liquidated all of them. Probably too late now.
    They still have value to some folks. There's a whole range of audiophiles who wax nostalgic about the sound of vinyl.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you want, gimme a list of what you have. If there is something I want, I'd be happy to take 'em off your hands.

Especially if you have any Australian punk, or late eighties to mid nineties New Zealand noise pop.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    They still have value to some folks. There's a whole range of audiophiles who wax nostalgic about the sound of vinyl.
    It's not just nostalgia.

In addition, LP album cover make great art. My daughter hung a whole slew of my 60's and 70's album covers on her wall.

Pay attention to the open sky

I did with mine what I do with all that I don't know what to with. I boxed' em up and forgot where I put them.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    It's not just nostalgia.
    I didn't mean it in a bad way. Some people prefer _that_ sound.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Man Pills

If you want, gimme a list of what you have. If there is something I want, I'd be happy to take 'em off your hands.

Especially if you have any Australian punk, or late eighties to mid nineties New Zealand noise pop.
    Isn't Bailter Space a New Zealand noise pop band? I saw them and their NZ brethren the 3Ds once--different shows, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Isn't Bailter Space a New Zealand noise pop band? I saw them and their NZ brethren the 3Ds once--different shows, though.
    Yeah, totally.

I little too spacy for me, but lots of chicks used to listen to them at the time, so it was good to at least know who they were.

As far as fuzzy, Kiwi Pop goes, I am totally into The Clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    In addition, LP album cover make great art. My daughter hung a whole slew of my 60's and 70's album covers on her wall.
    Yep. Target sells frames specifically sized for LP covers that keep them from wear and tear. My sister has a really cool wall of cover art in her apartment in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Same here, I also have a working 8 track player in my basement. My friends always get a kick out of this.

I have a real antique. It's a stereo with an 8 track player and turntable. I would keep the records. The one's I have really have the best sound. Plus they will gradually go away with time and will be a real collectors item.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I have my Mom and Step-father's old turntable (actually it's a "newer" model, wasn't used very much), and a bunch of their old records....I still have to go through my Dad's archives at some point....

I enjoy them! I'm the only 27 year old that I know of that has this as a music listening option.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 03-11-2008 at 06:01 PM.

It's not just nostalgia.
    Most of it is for me I guess. I also have an Ion USB turntable (a nice looking one with a tinted cover like the old days). But I just use it for listening to my vinyl collection (versus ripping them).

Something about listening to old records all the way through, at once, that's appealing to me still I've found. I still buy them new and mostly used. Albums like Springsteen's Magic and the new Raveonettes (suprisingly) simply sound better on vinyl to me also.

I became such a digital channel surfer with the download craze that it's nice to go back to listening to music the way I used to growing up. Ecspecially when albums were created to have a certain flow and be listened to for the most part, in one sitting. Today not so much obviously.

When you're running the sound through a PC system with nice Bose speakers and a Creative Xi-Fi card, the only real difference I notice, aside from some of the pops and crackling at times, is that the playback and production sounds much more consistent and vibrant. With digital files, even commercial ones, you don't really know what you're getting.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I became such a digital channel surfer with the download craze that it's nice to go back to listening to music the way I used to growing up. Ecspecially when albums were created to have a certain flow and be listened to for the most part, in one sitting. Today not so much obviously.
    That's where I think the download thing has not been a good thing. It's changed the way music is created, where now an album is just a collection of individual songs that can be listened to by themselves in whatever order. I miss the albums that made sense if you listened to them in order.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Most of it is for me I guess. I also have an Ion USB turntable (a nice looking one with a tinted cover like the old days). But I just use it for listening to my vinyl collection (versus ripping them).

Something about listening to old records all the way through, at once, that's appealing to me still I've found. I still buy them new and mostly used. Albums like Springsteen's Magic and the new Raveonettes (suprisingly) simply sound better on vinyl to me also.

When you're running the sound through a PC system with nice Bose speakers and a Creative Xi-Fi card, the only real difference I notice, aside from some of the pops and crackling at times, is that the playback and production sounds much more consistent and vibrant. With digital files, even commercial ones, you don't really know what you're getting.
    So you're saying you have a turntable that you can run through your computer?

I think I might need to know more about this.

Can I buy an adapter for my current rig, or do I need to buy a new one?

I'd really like rip all of my 7 inchers on to my hard drive. I also wouldn't mind doing a podcast thing, just spin records out into the ether.

You guys could even listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    That's where I think the download thing has not been a good thing. It's changed the way music is created, where now an album is just a collection of individual songs that can be listened to by themselves in whatever order. I miss the albums that made sense if you listened to them in order.
    BRA-VO.

An old girlfriend used to always say to me "I just put all of my cd's on shuffle. I can't sit through a whole record..."

My response was usually something along the lines of "Guhh!", or something akin to that.

Turn Off Ads?