Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Volquez

Ed Volquez

He made the teeth of the Yankees batting order look horrible, 8 Ks in 4 innings. That was a good trade IMO. 50 grand for Hamilton traded for the Rangers no. 1 prospect, if youre a GM youre smiling, that is how you flip prospects ladies and gentlemen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ed Volquez

I love what I saw of him, but remember that it's only one game and it's spring training. I've seen many, many pitchers look that good. I'm excited about the future and tonight made me feel a little better about the trade, but it's way to early to say that's the way it's done.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Be mindful of the law of sample size.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    That's very true. But, there is still something to be said for that kind of sample. His changeup was wicked and needs to be seen to appreciate. Can he pitch like that for 6-7 innings? Remains to be seen.

The only bad thing I can say after seeing him is that his mechanics are going to get picked apart. He might start out in the pen, in part because of concerns about him blowing out an elbow or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    That's very true. But, there is still something to be said for that kind of sample. His changeup was wicked and needs to be seen to appreciate. Can he pitch like that for 6-7 innings? Remains to be seen.

The only bad thing I can say after seeing him is that his mechanics are going to get picked apart. He might start out in the pen, in part because of concerns about him blowing out an elbow or something.
    They traded for a starter. I can't imagine him going to the pen.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Small sample sizes are one thing, too be sure.

But when you have a pitcher with dominate stuff, who was completely dominate at AA and AAA last year, who fans 8 regular Yankees in 4 innings it's impressive. You can't get that kind of results with BABIP luck or whatever.

The question is whether or not he can sustain that type of command. The stuff is there.

He didn't do to well last year for Texas. I hope he has improved somewhat since then. He looks great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It's at least a slightly bigger sample size than Javy Valentin's throw-away comment that generated consternation for a few on this board. (insert winky icon mentally)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It's at least a slightly bigger sample size than Javy Valentin's throw-away comment that generated consternation for a few on this board. (insert winky icon mentally)
    I think Javy's comment had to be taken out of context. I think he was saying "put the guy on the team, if it's not in the rotation, he needs to be in the bullpen."

That's just a guess.

I thought people overreacted after Javy's comments and I think they are doing it again after last night. Last night was very nice to see, but its way too early to say this was a great trade for Krivsky. I liked the trade when it happened, I still like the trade, but lets get past March before we decide one way or the other.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez
    Cueto

Cordero
    Burton
    Affeldt (L)
    Weathers
    Roenike
    Coffey/McBeth/Salmon/Coutlangas/?
    Fogg - long relief

Looks like a real honest to goodness major league pitching staff!

Sub Stanton for Roenike.

Face it folks Stanton is making the team unless he gets hammered over and over and his last couple outings he's been decent.

I think Fogg is released if he doesn't make the rotation.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Face it folks Stanton is making the team
    the sad truth

unless he gets hammered over and over
    even if he does he will still be on the roster. Afterall, he is a veteran getting his work in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He didn't do to well last year for Texas.
    Yeah, in 34 IP--talk about small sample size. It's not as if he imploded, either.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He didn't do to well last year for Texas. I hope he has improved somewhat since then. He looks great so far.

He has two things going for him. 1) He is wearing number 36 and 2)The man who made 36 a number is also working with him in Spring Training.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Turn Off Ads?