Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees to sign comedian Billy Crystal

Yankees to sign comedian Billy Crystal

Yankees to sign comedian Crystal
    Commissioner Selig approves lifelong fan's one-day contract
    By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Yankees are ready to add a touch of Hollywood to their roster, announcing their plans to sign actor and comedian Billy Crystal to a one-day contract during Spring Training.
    Crystal will sign the contract and work out with the Yankees at Legends Field on Wednesday, before playing in the club's game on against the Pirates on Thursday. Commissioner Bud Selig approved the Yankees' extension of a contract to Crystal.

"I've been waiting 50 years for this call," Crystal said. "I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of the Yankees and Commissioner Selig. I know this'll be tougher than the Broadway Softball League, but I'm looking forward to helping the younger players -- by the way, which is all of them."

Crystal, who turns 60 on Friday, will wear uniform No. 60 in the game.

"The Yankees are excited to welcome the newest member of our team, known for his humor and wit, as well as his undying love for the Yankees," said Yankees COO Lonn Trost. "The Yankees are very grateful to the Commissioner's Office for allowing us to extend this special invitation to Mr. Crystal."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he was in favor of the gesture.

"It's kind of exciting," Girardi said. "Billy Crystal has done a lot for this organization. He's always been a big part of it. It's ownership's and our way of rewarding him and saying, 'Thanks for everything that you've done.'"

But it's not all fun and games. If Crystal really wants to suit up and be a member of the team, Girardi said he'll have to do the grunt work, too.

"He's going to have to run after practice, because I don't think Thursday is a scheduled off-day for running," Girardi said.

Crystal, a star of movies, television and Broadway has been a regular presence in the Bronx over the years, enjoying a close friendship with former manager Joe Torre. Crystal has often said in interviews that he has carried one of Mickey Mantle's baseball cards in his wallet for his entire life.

In 2001, Crystal directed and produced the film 61*, which chronicled the historic seasons of Yankees greats Roger Maris and Mantle as they sought to break Babe Ruth's single-season home run record.

The film garnered 12 Emmy nominations, including nods for "Best Director" and "Best Made for Television Movie." It also earned Crystal a prestigious Director's Guild nomination.

Crystal has starred in movies such as Running Scared, Throw Momma from the Train, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, City Slickers, Mr. Saturday Night, Forget Paris, Hamlet, Deconstructing Harry, Analyze This, Monster's Inc. and America's Sweethearts.

He will not be the first celebrity to don a Major League uniform during Spring Training play. Country music artist Garth Brooks worked out with three big league clubs -- the Padres, Mets and Royals -- beginning in 1998 to raise funds for his Teammates For Kids foundation.

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yankees to sign comedian Billy Crystal

I don't get why they would do this. Don't the Yankees have enough publicity?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Isn't Crystal a member of the partnership that owns the D'backs? I remember him doing an interview durring the World Series talking about his split loyalties. He owned the D'backs but was rooting for the Yankees.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

I'm honestly just jealous...not that id want to be a member of the yanks. But honestly, how sweet would it be to suit up one day with your favorite ball players and take a couple of swings against the best in the world. I think it would be a dream come true for most people on this board--and i think its awesome for billy.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I hope who ever is pitching when Billy is at bat beans him...

He was a college baseball player, albeit in 1968. Hopefully some of those skills still exist.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    He was a college baseball player, albeit in 1968. Hopefully some of those skills still exist.
    I think that's doubtful.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Well, I don't think Billy Crystal is planned to start against the Devil Rays, so I guess we can rule out the possibility of Crystal being nailed and starting a bench clearing brawl.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

The game will be live on MLB.TV at 1:15pm today.

It's a mockery of the game. MLB looks silly by doing this in my view.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    yep, played for marshall university (at least for a while, i've heard that he didn't finish there, but I havn't heard the story in a long time so I'm not totally sure)
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Why? It is spring training and it was fun. I remember when Tom Selleck did the same thing with Detroit. It was fun to watch then too

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I have rethought my opinion on this and after seeing the at bat and Billy's comments afterward--what is the harm?? It is only spring training and sometimes, such as the case with Garth Brooks a few years back doing it for a charitable cause, why not? Just lets try and keep it to A-listers--I dont need to see Omarosa or whatever her name is shagging flies in left field....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I will quote you one of my all time favorites.

"Lighten up Francis."

You know what really makes MLB look silly, ignoring the steroid issue and turning over the investigation to Congress, the DH, tiny new stadiums where fly outs are HR's and letting the Yankees get away with a $200 million dollar payroll, while Tampa Bay's is what - about $20 million.

Any of those, IMHO, are way more damaging to MLB than Billy Crystal getting one at bat in a Spring Training game. And actually this is exactly what is wrong with media. If the media didn't make a big deal out of it, you wouldn't even know it happened. Because the only people this effected were the people in the stadium and the players on the field. And I didn't hear any of them *****ing or charging that a mockery had taken place.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 03-14-2008 at 12:07 PM.

MLB needs some good press with all the junk coming 'round now.

I like Crystal anyway; seems like an OK guy. Genuinely funny at times.

Now if it were Robin Williams, well to Hell with him
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Turn Off Ads?