Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Catcher

Re: Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    you fix the one that you need in order to eat: catcher.
    had the entire off-season to address the issue ... instead they have 5 CFs in camp and no everyday catcher.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

They are obviously aware of the problem. George grand reports that David Ross is close to beiing placed on the DL. Dusty has been giving a lot of PT to several catchers in camp. When they are not behind the plate, they have been DH-ing.

Kroski (along with Castro, Hairston, and Patterson) even batted against Arroyo, Coffey, and Brower in a few simulated game innings last weekend in Sarasota.

BTW, Brower looks a young as many of the kids in camp, and Patterson (body looks like a high school Jr. Varsity player) had the best results against the pitching trio -- relaxed and comfortable at the plate.

Speaking of bodies, aside from Ross and Valentin, all other catchers' physiques are more slender/muscular -- not unlike what one sees in bodies of the most athletic/muscular college quarterbacks, linebackers, middle-weight wrestlers. Great arms on all of the AAA, AA, A catchers I saw, BTW.

No. Player P GP GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI AVG TB SLG

81 Chris Kroski C 3 1 3 1 1 1 0 0 1 .333 2 .667
    9 Paul Bako C 9 6 12 4 4 0 1 0 1 .333 6 .500
    71 Craig Tatum C 7 0 9 1 2 1 0 0 2 .222 3 .333
    17 Javier Valentin C 8 7 15 3 4 1 0 0 2 .267 5 .333
    65 Ryan Hanigan C 9 3 15 2 2 1 0 0 1 .133 3 .200
    76 Alvin Colina C 7 0 11 0 1 0 0 0 0 .091 1 .091

For what it's worth, in BP, when Hanigan steps into the cage, he typically starts hitting line drives from the very first pitch, unlike many who don't get a good swing until the third or fourth pitch perhaps.
    Last edited by Far East; 03-11-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    1. He isn't healthy.

2. He has been horrible at the plate for the last season and a half.

Combine the two -- the tender back isn't going to help him any at the plate -- and you have a hole at the position.

I think that sums it up perfectly. Back problems for a baseball player isn't good news. Back problems for a catcher is a catastrophe.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

The reds really need to improve their catcher situation.

Although that's sometimes even harder than improving pitching.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Not sure how highly he's thought of, but the Pirates seemed pretty intent on platooning Ryan Doumit last season or moving him to the OF so maybe he'd come at a reasonable price. Didn't do anything otherworldly, but his .274/.341/.472 line in 250 AB's shows some ability. He's only 26 and is probably a pretty good bet to get a bit better. PECOTA likes him to repeat his 2007 performance. He'd be my target.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

There can only be one answer to the catching question:

"But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    Dusty has been giving a lot of PT to several catchers in camp.
    ... and not one of them is a solution to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    There can only be one answer to the catching question:

Villanova ... just call him Hec-tor.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The reds really need to improve their catcher situation.

Although that's sometimes even harder than improving pitching.
    in this case it would be easy ... because they are a boatload of guys who would be an improvement. A lot of them may not be very good but they would be an improvement.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Craig Tatum.

With the signing of Corey Patterson and the LH bats of either Votto or Hatteberg on the bench, there really is no reason to justify Javy Valentin occupying a roster spot, except for his 1.375M guaranteed salary.

He is not a good catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Craig Tatum.
    My guess is Tatum will be struggling down in AA this season. I've got no interest in watching him get eaten alive in the majors.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    in this case it would be easy ... because they are a boatload of guys who would be an improvement. A lot of them may not be very good but they would be an improvement.
    I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure there are some, but "a boatload", I don't think so.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure there are some, but "a boatload", I don't think so.
    hyperbole

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My guess is Tatum will be struggling down in AA this season. I've got no interest in watching him get eaten alive in the majors.
    He did hit a wall after being promoted to Chattanooga last year, but he was coming off a decent 2006 and he lit it up for half a season in Sarasota. With that said, I'd still take him over Javy.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    had the entire off-season to address the issue ... instead they have 5 CFs in camp and no everyday catcher.
    Freel said within the last few years if needed he'd put on the gear behind the plate.

Not that it would happen or even remotely work, but it's an amusing thought, to say the least.

Turn Off Ads?