Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker: "It's not easy being Homer"

Baker: "It's not easy being Homer"

Per C. Trent

"It's not easy being Homer," Baker started...

It's not. I've seen it 1,000 times, it's not easy being that Mr. Everything, Can't-Miss kid. No matter what you do... I learned a long time ago, the most dangerous word for a young kid is potential. If they don't do great, then no matter what they do, they don't reach that potential. Some guys take longer to get it than other guys, for whatever the reason.

What is Homer, 21? This dude's barely drinking age, you know what I'm saying? There are kids in college that haven't even signed a contract yet that are still pitching and Homer already has this experience already. That's the thing, let's not forget, this dude is three years ahead of whoever is going to be in this year's draft.

He may not be where you want him to be or where we want him to be or where he wants to be right now, but he's still ahead of the program. Three or four years from now, you might have another thought process, but right now...

I'm big on what a guy does compared to his graduating class. And you know, he's like a freshman playing against seniors. Some freshmen come in and play like seniors, and others have to wait until they're seniors.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Baker: "It's not easy being Homer"

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'm big on what a guy does compared to his graduating class. And you know, he's like a freshman playing against seniors. Some freshmen come in and play like seniors, and others have to wait until they're seniors.
    I think Dusty has a case of March Madness. Maybe he can get counseling from Dick Vitale?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I think Dusty has a case of March Madness. Maybe he can get counseling from Dick Vitale?
    So for now Homer's a diaper dandy, but don't give out hope that he'll be a PTPer? I need some Digiorno.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Dusty's right. Bailey deserves exactly zero criticism for not being major league ready at age 22. Even if he spends another three years finding his way, he'll still be a relatively young man with a bright future.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Guys like Volquez and Cueto may be the best thing that has ever happened to Homer - professionally speaking. He can go down to AAA and work on his stuff without having all the pressure of being the Reds' savior like he was last year. There's not going to be any "Homer Watch" and Wayne's not going to get pressured from above and below to bring him up. It's going to put a little more pressure on the other two but it may be best in the long run for Homer personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Homer doesn't have to be a #1 to be a success. If he can become a solid 200 inning #3 or #4, it'll be good for the Reds and it'll make him a ton of money. Give him time.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Homer doesn't have to be a #1 to be a success. If he can become a solid 200 inning #3 or #4, it'll be good for the Reds and it'll make him a ton of money. Give him time.

I agree and that's not a bad thing since the Reds haven't been able to even produce that kind of a pitcher for themselves or anyone.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Wow. For once I actually agree with Dusty Baker. Will wonders never cease? There's the competent half we know and love...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It's not easy being green or Brett Tomko either...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

You just have to hope that Homer is mature enough to handle going down to AAA, which seems inevitable now. Some of his fellow prospects will join him down there, but others will get the call and you hope Bailey can deal with that ok.

Fact is that Baker is right, Bailey is still only 21 and very, very few starting pitchers are successful in the big leagues at that age. Baker is also right that Bailey could spend three more years at AAA and still be on target to reach the big leagues at a reasonable age.

The obvious concern is that the Reds have created an expectation, for Homer and the fans, that he will be a big league contributor this year and that he (and fans) will have trouble dealing with Bailey at AAA.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I think that was a very insightful comment from Dusty. (Of course, I've been saying the same thing for months... ;-))

But seriously, everyone is acting like Homer Bailey is suddenly this bust. He is 21 years old and if he was a junior in college right now pitching for Texas he would be everyone's No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft and would have can't-miss written all over him. If Homer is 24 and 25 and still struggling, I'll worry. Right now, I'm glad we've got a big horse with a big arm who is as competitive as they come. I think Homer Bailey will come around. I know it's a different position, but Chris Sabo was, what, 26 when he won rookie of the year? Give Homer a chance. And in the meantime we can enjoy Johnny Cueto who is one of those "freshmen" who play like "seniors." Just because it might take Homer until his junior year to be a stud doesn't mean people should write him off.

Homer flashed some of his great potential ... but also his lack of command. He needs more time to work the kinks out.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Homer flashed some of his great potential ... but also his lack of command. He needs more time to work the kinks out.
    yes, I agree- give the kid some time. He looked really good in spots last night.

Sandy Koufax couldn't hit the broad side of a barn until he was 25. He figured it out. Nolan Ryan only gained some command when he was about 32, believe it or not.

Not every pitcher has the ability to throw a strike whenever they like, and Homer may not ever have that kind of command. If he doesn't, he's going to need to be sturdy, and have the ability to pitch into the 110's on a consistent basis, to be of good use as a SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    But seriously, everyone is acting like Homer Bailey is suddenly this bust.
    Seems to me that a lot of the people you're putting in the "Homer is a bust" category are the ones who've been making the case that he's been overpushed and overhyped, which Baker has basically just confirmed.

The problem is a lot of people on this board have spent years acting like Homer Bailey was destined to be a major league stud by this point in his career. And when others have argued that Super Phenom Homer is not the pitcher we've got in front of us, we've been accused of calling him a bust.

The Reds put this kid on an absolutely ridiculous timetable. That's what most of his supposed detractors have been saying. Will he be a good pitcher in the future? He very well could be though it's going to be tough for the franchise to hold onto him if his transition takes a few years.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Seems to me that a lot of the people you're putting in the "Homer is a bust" category are the ones who've been making the case that he's been overpushed and overhyped, which Baker has basically just confirmed.

The problem is a lot of people on this board have spent years acting like Homer Bailey was destined to be a major league stud by this point in his career. And when others have argued that Super Phenom Homer is not the pitcher we've got in front of us, we've been accused of calling him a bust.

The Reds put this kid on an absolutely ridiculous timetable. That's what most of his supposed detractors have been saying. Will he be a good pitcher in the future? He very well could be though it's going to be tough for the franchise to hold onto him if his transition takes a few years.
    You think? With Harang and Arroyo locked up for years and then Volquez and Cueto potentially being ready, that really leaves 1 spot in which Belisle can fill and maybe even Maloney. I think if anything, the franchise is in great shape to hold on to him and let him develop properly because there may not even be a roster spot for him anyhow.

Turn Off Ads?