Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cueto should be in the rotation!

Reds1990

Cueto should be in the rotation!

Trent's blog says he's been down right nasty today. Can we please pencil this guy in the rotation. I'd go Harang, Arroyo, Belisle unles he just pitches horrible the rest of the sring, Affeldt he's a left and signed him to start and has done well so far, and then Cueto. Bailey starts in Louisville until he fixes his attitude and fine tunes his curveball. Volquez starts in the pen. Cut bait with Fogg, if someone in the rotation falters then you got both Volquez and Bailey. Maybe Maloney turns it around at Louisvile, he's been hit hard this spring. I see Bray starting in Louisville along with Countlangus, Stanton and or Merker make the team to give us lefties in the pen. Along with a rebound year from Coffey, Burton, Cordero. Making up a pretty good staff. I say Roenicke pitches in the big leagues before it's all said and done. Again I say you got to let Cueto start and go north. You take the best 25 north with you. That includes Jay Bruce. That's another whole post. Don't get me started on what I think about him starting at Louisville.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto should be in the rotation!

realize that Dusty won't let that happen.

Things that Dusty should do but won't:
    1) Let the younger players who are the future of this franchise play in the big leagues
    2) Keep the young arms pitch count low
    3) Allow players to take a pitch with two strikes
    4) Be a good manager

The only way Bruce and/or Cueto start in the big leagues this year is if Dusty gets struck by lightning.

There is no way Affeldt should be in the rotation. What makes you think he should?

As Starter....
    Is it his career 5.15 IP/GS with a 5.41 ERA? Or his 1.32 K/BB ratio? Or batting line against of .298 AVG .372 OBP .455 SLG .827 OPS? Or his 1.0 HR/9 IP?

As Reliever....
    4.21 ERA. 1.72 K/BB ratio. .244 AVG .328 OBP .379 SLG .707 OPS against. 0.70 HR/9IP.

I'm thinking he needs to start, right? We need his AVERAGE 3ER 5IP start in the 4th spot. That's not going to hurt the bullpen. We have plenty of LH RP in the bullpen we could trust. Guys like Stanton/ Mercker/ and the forever injured Bray are all the LHP we need.

It's not like we have a plethora of SP to replace Affeldt. Fogg should be cut even though all his stats are better. Volquez in AAA. Maloney in AAA. Bailey in AA. We NEED Affeldt in the rotation because that's obviously where he's historically been best.

Monger

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    realize that Dusty won't let that happen.

Things that Dusty should do but won't:
    1) Let the younger players who are the future of this franchise play in the big leagues
    2) Keep the young arms pitch count low
    3) Allow players to take a pitch with two strikes
    4) Be a good manager

The only way Bruce and/or Cueto start in the big leagues this year is if Dusty gets struck by lightning.
    Can someone please give dusty a long metal pole to hold onto during a thunderstorm?
    Reds fan in Red Sox Country

Sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds

got alil captain in u?

I agree cueto should be in the rotation if he continues to pitch like he has this spring. Bailey has been improving along with Volquez. Fogg has pitched well this spring. Having depth is not necessarily a bad thing. Affedlt will go to the pen i presume and be our best lefty outta the pen this season.

today's line.

3 IP 4Ks 0H 0ER

I'm becoming more convinced.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

part of BBN

I am not opposed at all to Cueto being in the rotation.That is even assuming he "will" get rocked at some point this spring.
    I feel he has the makeup to pick up right where he left off in the next start.

Cueto's hot start is making the Fogg signing look kind of unnecessary. I'm fine with Fogg as depth but if Cueto keeps this up all spring and then goes to AAA because of Fogg, I won't be too happy. It is nice to have legitimate options at the back of the rotation though, seems like a quite a change from years past.

Dusty Baker wants Cueto in the rotation to start the year. And as long as Cueto pitches well the rest of the spring, there's a very good chance he will be.

As I said in another thread the Reds are in for a long season if the 3,4, and 5 spots consist of Belisle, Affeldt, and Fogg.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Dusty Baker wants Cueto in the rotation to start the year.
    I am beginning to think this as well.

topsyt

I thought Mr. C said take the best 25 and forget the $. Me thinks this spring has been the most interesting in a long while and still with a ways to go.

Cueto does have only 22 innings at AAA, but a strong spring training and he could be in the rotation.

Can we please remember that this is one outing, a 3 inning outing. While I'd love to see him make our rotation, I'm not going to get overly excited with one outing in early March.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Can we please remember that this is one outing, a 3 inning outing. While I'd love to see him make our rotation, I'm not going to get overly excited with one outing in early March.
    Excellent way to put it. I will be down there 14th thru the 20th, which is the time when the regulars are really busting to get in season form. I hope to see the early top performers (such as Cueto, Rosales, etc.) against the best working to get to the top of their game. That's when we'll see who's really ready for the Big Leagues..

Turn Off Ads?