Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Janish?

Janish?

Only watched a bit last night on the computer, but this guy can play some shortstop.

Assuming Gonzo starts season on DL and Castro is not ready, do folks see Janish as a viable option for the big team?

He is obviously challenged offensively and could use another year to work on his hitting, but he seems very good out there in the infield.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Janish?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Only watched a bit last night on the computer, but this guy can play some shortstop.

Assuming Gonzo starts season on DL and Castro is not ready, do folks see Janish as a viable option for the big team?

He is obviously challenged offensively and could use another year to work on his hitting, but he seems very good out there in the infield.

I'd take Janish over Castro at his healthiest. Neither will give offense. Janish will give real defense.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I'd take Janish over Castro at his healthiest.
    which is not a ringing endorsement.

I'd love to have a real plus defender at SS, even with a weak stick. However, can the offense sustain Janish, Patterson, and Ross/Javy/Bako all in the lineup together?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'd love to have a real plus defender at SS, even with a weak stick. However, can the offense sustain Janish, Patterson, and Ross/Javy/Bako all in the lineup together?
    no

Patterson will be better than you guys think. You'll see.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Patterson will be better than you guys think. You'll see.
    I hope so. I really like his defense in CF so I hope his bat is good enough to play regularly against RHP's. At least until Bruce arrives.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If Harang is pitching? Yes. That's about it.

I'd prefer Patterson as a 4th outfielder at best getting somewhere between 200-300 at bats. Not sure if that is logical with Dusty as our manager, however.

Janish over Castro? YES anyday of the week.

I hope so.
    a lineup with Gonzo/janish, pick any catcher, Patterson and BP is going to be seriously OBP challenged and have problems scoring runs.

I don't think it's Janish or Castro. It's more likely Janish or Keppinger.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    a lineup with Gonzo/janish, pick any catcher, Patterson and BP is going to be seriously OBP challenged and have problems scoring runs.
    So you have to sacrifice defense for offense somewhere. Where do you do it, SS or CF? Bruce or Patterson? Kepp or Janish/Gonzo?

For this team to be able to score enough runs
    1) Keppinger needs to play a lot of SS
    2) Bruce needs to play a lot of CF

replies

1. Janisch's D last night was VERY impressive

2. Upgrade the catching position using our 'spare parts' - Freel, Hat, Coffey, etc. That way you can better justify a weak stick strong glove shortstop and/or centerfielder

3. Assuming the Reds front office won't trade Griffey then use Patterson as the 4th outfielder and late inning defensive replacement ( with Griffey moving to the bench and Bruce moving to right )

So you have to sacrifice defense for offense somewhere. Where do you do it, SS or CF? Bruce or Patterson? Kepp or Janish/Gonzo?
    it's a tradeoff everywhere. A lot of stats take both offense and defense into account. The simple fact is that OBP drives runs scored and the Reds have will likely have 3 guys sporting sub 300 OBPs if Gonzo is at SS and Patterson in CF. That is a recipe for trouble even if they are playing GG defense. See the 2007 Astros with defensive stalwarts Ausmus and Everett.

Turn Off Ads?