Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Janish?

Re: Janish?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Agreed. I haven't been able to find his career numbers. Any chance you have them?
    *BaseClogger* posted the numbers, but The Baseball Cube provides quick and easy reference any time you're hunting for minor league numbers.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

sorry to all that it is so hard to read those stats...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...l-Janish.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    No need to apologize for doing a good thing. The Cube is a great resource, but it's nice to have the numbers here.

Looking at Janish's line, last year he split time between AA and AA and as a 24 year old put up a 680 ops in AA. His OBP was heavily inflated by walks meaning that it's likely to get worse against better pitching since he doesn't have enough power to make anybody regret throwing him strikes. To make matters worse, he struck out at a rate that looks a lot like Adam Dunn. (Which again doesn't bode well developmentally.) Clearly he can pick it, but at this point Juan Castro will likely out-hit him.

This is Janish's first year on the 40 man roster and he appears to be on the Chris Dickerson career path. he needs to take a step forward or hope for a long string of injuries to get any real time on the 25 man roster. Reporters love him because he's easy to talk to and not a total tool.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    *BaseClogger* posted the numbers, but The Baseball Cube provides quick and easy reference any time you're hunting for minor league numbers.
    I couldn't find them on the cube. Weird.

Maybe I spelled his name wrong.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I couldn't find them on the cube. Weird.

Maybe I spelled his name wrong.
    Type it standard - Paul Janish - rather than last name first - Janish, Paul.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Janish's good OBP rates -- and the fact he missed half a year with injury -- say to me that he should not be dismissed out of hand just yet. If his defense is truly above average, then I think he should remain in consideration as a candidate for the SS job in 2009. Preprequisite: 400-500 ABs in Louisville. Meanwhile, for Jose Castro: 400-500 ABs in Chattanooga.

I wouldn't expect the team to find good trades for both a SS and a catcher -- if they can, great. But I think they have a better chance in-house with Janish/Castro than they do with Hanigan/Tatum/etc.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Janish's good OBP rates -- and the fact he missed half a year with injury -- say to me that he should not be dismissed out of hand just yet. If his defense is truly above average, then I think he should remain in consideration as a candidate for the SS job in 2009.
    Meh.

That sub-400 slugging percentage in the minors tells me he should never be considered a candidate for the starting SS job. Those walks he has been coaxing out of clueless kids in the minors will dry up in the majors once pitchers realize he can't hurt them by putting the bat on the ball.

He might eventually be a valuable glove off the bench, but I don't want him anywhere near the starting lineup.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    He might eventually be a valuable glove off the bench, but I don't want him anywhere near the starting lineup.
    Let him take the mound and let's see what he can do.

That sub-400 slugging percentage in the minors tells me he should never be considered a candidate for the starting SS job. Those walks he has been coaxing out of clueless kids in the minors will dry up in the majors once pitchers realize he can't hurt them by putting the bat on the ball.

You may be right.

But which is the lesser of two evils? Kepp everyday at SS, compromising the defense behind what looks to be shaping up as a good rotation (that includes some kids), or Janish in the 8 hole of what looks to be an already solid lineup (especially if they can find a catcher who hits)?

If you're looking for a good-hit, good-field SS...good luck. Maybe they'll find one in the first round of the draft this year -- or they'll be robbing Peter to pay Paul in a trade.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If you're looking for a good-hit, good-field SS...good luck.
    I'm just looking for a guy who is at least competent in both areas.

Janish's bat looks far from competent at this point in his career. We're talking about a guy who struggled most of his college career to hit with an aluminum bat. I have very little faith in his ability to crack the 700 OPS mark in the majors, and anything below that makes him an offensive sinkhole.

From what I have seen of Keppinger, he looks like a guy who can play a competent SS (make the routine plays) and hit well above the norm for a middle infielder. I'll take that over a guy who might make two or three more spectacular plays a week while being pathetic at the plate.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I'm just looking for a guy who is at least competent in both areas.

Janish's bat looks far from competent at this point in his career. We're talking about a guy who struggled most of his college career to hit with an aluminum bat. I have very little faith in his ability to crack the 700 OPS mark in the majors, and anything below that makes him an offensive sinkhole.

From what I have seen of Keppinger, he looks like a guy who can play a competent SS (make the routine plays) and hit well above the norm for a middle infielder. I'll take that over a guy who might make two or three more spectacular plays a week while being pathetic at the plate.
    nice post
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Like with Castro, given an OPS under .600, no amount of defense can offset the negative of that level of offense.

If Janish could hit .230/.300/.360, he'd be worth thinking about as temporary replacement. But given his .221/.278/.317 line in AAA, I'm not optimistic.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So if Janish isn't the answer, could Rosales be? He started out at SS and was moved because of an injury to his throwing arm. That's healed and the kid can flat out rake.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Let him take the mound and let's see what he can do.

I think princeton's been suggesting the same thing for a couple of years now.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?