Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laid Off (?)

Re: Laid Off (?)

Best of luck, Raisor. Hope you get the job you want.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.nbc.com/Casting/#gladiators

dude, you would be awesome in spandex.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    http://www.nbc.com/Casting/#gladiators

dude, you would be awesome in spandex.

Where do you think I got laid off from?

I thought they laid you off because you refused to wear pants to work?

what? you wouldn't drink one of Hogan's energy drinks?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Was laid off in 1999 from the same company that I now work for. I was hired in 12/98, put on part time in 5/99 then laid off in 7/99. Unfortunately, when I filed for unemployment they took my last salary which was part time. I went out and temped for 2 months then the company temped me out for 2 months. I was hired back full time in 11/99.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

It's been a little over a week since the lay off. I applied to about 40 jobs this past week. I'm hoping to hear from the big job that I interviewed for a week or so before I got laid off, this week.

Fingers crossed.

Stat geek...and proud

Best of luck. The way things are going, it could be any one of us. If my place goes south, I'm screwed because I didn't get a degree. I'm trying to get the nerve to go back to school, but I guess deep down I'm afraid. I'll be 30 this year, and I still don't have a clue what I want in life. I've taken interest with physical therapy lately. Now I just have to get the stones to get off my butt and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Best of luck. The way things are going, it could be any one of us. If my place goes south, I'm screwed because I didn't get a degree. I'm trying to get the nerve to go back to school, but I guess deep down I'm afraid. I'll be 30 this year, and I still don't have a clue what I want in life. I've taken interest with physical therapy lately. Now I just have to get the stones to get off my butt and go for it.
    Thirty is not too old to go back to school. In fact, I think it is perfect age because you are probably more mature and would make your class work first priority.

When I was in college, I met some great students who were anywhere from 30 - 50 years old. Don't think you will be the only older than usual student there. Good luck.

Best wishes to you also Raisor.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It's been a little over a week since the lay off. I applied to about 40 jobs this past week. I'm hoping to hear from the big job that I interviewed for a week or so before I got laid off, this week.

Fingers crossed.
    Sorry to hear about your luck, bud. I've experienced my share of layoffs and two that included the entire department in which I worked. My wife was affected by a mass layoff announced at the beginning of February (her 2nd layoff) as well.

Even though you didn't like your previous job losing any job can be tough and getting layed off is likely tougher emotionally than being fired for cause because it's so freakin' random most of the time.

This last one was expecially rough for my wife because it included her being told that she had to stick around for two months in order to train her co-workers (who can't do her job) to do her job. I can't even imagine how that feels. So she trained them and then two weeks ago she leaves for a single day to interview for a couple jobs. While she was gone, one of the people she trained deleted a major database during, apparently, his step ten of what she clearly documented as a five-step process to pull a report. She eventually negotiated a "last physical day" that was over a week ago, but she still receives emails and phone calls from the people tasked with her duties.

Like you, she acted quickly and now has a guaranteed new job starting April 1st and another couple of job offers that could be rolling in soon. So kudos to you for looking to get back on the horse sooner rather than later. We've seen some mass layoffs in my current area with other businesses lately and one thing that I consistently look for when interviewing one of those layed off is how long a break they took from work. Your behavior (immediate job-seeking post-layoff) is exactly what I'm looking for in a candidate even if they received a solid severance package. I'd suggest that it's pretty tough for anyone tasked with hiring to be doing so without having experienced at least one layoff in their career, so I expect many or most of those with whom you'll be interviewing feel the same way.

A few tips for anyone who's been layed off:

1. File for unemployment benefits immediately. One thing I found out is that unemployment amounts and/or qualifications for eligibility can vary by state. For example, the last time I was layed off, I worked from home for a company that was located in another state. I found that by filing in that other state, I was eligible for nearly twice as much money as if I had filed in my home state. Also, even though I received a severance package and declared it in my claim, I was not penalized for it. Maybe that was my claims agent being super-cool, but I was eligible for benefits on the same day I would have been had I not received a severance package. And yes, you can do it pretty much all online.

2. Don't limit yourself to just applying for positions at the same level, particularly if you were experienced in your position with your previous company. Sometimes one might need to take a step down in either title or pay. However, don't exclude potential advancement opportunities that might be there, especially if you've worked in a company where advancement opportunities are bottlenecked. In short, if you've been looking for advancement, a layoff might be your chance because even though the outcome of the experience isn't what you'd liked, the "experience" is still valuable.

3. As long as you're not burning any valuable bridges, it's ok to take the first offer that comes along to guarantee your financial situation while still interviewing with other companies. It's a bit cold to do that, but the fact of the matter is that a company doesn't care about your loyalty when choosing who to lay off in the first place. You need to be as non-emotional as they are and do what's in the best interests of you and yours.

4. When you go to an interview, have a plan. Understand the company you're interviewing with- their vision and values. Their standing in the marketplace. Arm yourself with facts. And by all means, sell yourself. If your contribution led to a 20% improvement in your department's performance, don't leave that in your head because you feel that being humble is something your interviewer wants to see. Put it out there. Especially in an interview, if it's truth, it ain't bragging.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Nice post SteelSD.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

How about GoArmy.com ?

Seriously, I'm getting out of the Air Force soon. So I need to get on looking to start all over in the civilian world. I think I'm more nervous getting out of the military than getting in.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Thanks everyone.

While I'm a bit nervouse, I'm mostly just excited since I HATE my job. When I interview, I think it'll come across better that I got laid off then saying how much I hated this job.

When it does happen, I'm taking a couple weeks to chill out, maybe go to Florida for some Spring Training games, and then jump into the job search. I'm definatly not going to take the job I interviewed for last week for granted.
    Being laid off was the best thing that ever happened to me. Honestly.

I hated my job. Didn't know how much I hated it until I worked at another company and realized that I liked getting up in the morning again.

I was off for two weeks before I went stir crazy. I had three solid months of severance but there was no way I would have lasted that long.

I picked up an odd job as a short term contractor doing entry level clerk type work to just get out of the house, with the full intention of looking for something else while I had the job. Six years later I'm still at the same company, having climbed up the up the ladder thru four departments and now make three times the salary I ever did at my old job and enjoy it infinitely more.

Other bonus to getting laid off - I spent way too much time during those few weeks I didn't work on the internet during the afternoons/evenings, where I ended up meeting the woman who is now my wife. We met in person the first day I started at my current company. Lets call that day a good day.

So yeah - take things in stride and realize that this is a chance to take your life in a different direction and don't be afraid to follow where that path takes you.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 03-25-2008 at 03:48 AM.

Turn Off Ads?