Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Funny Thing on an Airplane

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Funny Thing on an Airplane

Yesterday, my flight from Caracas to Miami was preparing to taxi and the pilot did his PA thing (time, weather, thank you for flying American, etc.).

There was brief silence and then, on the PA:

"We have Clearance, Clarence"
    "Roger, Roger"
    "Give me a Vector, Victor"

(it wasn't the pilot, but the soundtrack from Airplane)

The flight attendants were cracking up (as was I), although 95% of the passengers didn't get it or weren't paying attention.

Improved my flight, but I doubt they'd try it on a domestic flight.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Funny Thing on an Airplane

The flight attendants on Southwest are noted for their humerous commentary. "This is a no whinning, no crying flight. If the oxygen masks deploy and you are traveling with a child or someone acting like a child....."

The most impressive thing I've seen is a female FA that grabbed the doorway behind her and did a back flip between her arms and landed on her feet----to much applause!

Rem

Technically he was under Oveur and he was under Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    The flight attendants on Southwest are noted for their humerous commentary.
    Rem
    They are very clever and very funny. I've flown SW a lot because my wife works for them and I think the flight attendants are pretty funny. You never know what your going to get.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

The FA's on WN are usually very good. On short hauls like I fly they work very hard and usually maintain a smile.

My complaint with WN is that they seem to be dismantleing a very successful business model (originated by Herb Kelleher, a marketing genius) for for a very dubious model (adminstrated by Gary Kelly, a beancounter that has no idea about making the customer happy).

I wonder, at what point does the 'corporate culture' (which WN has had in bountiful amounts) start to suffer?

To be honest, I wonder if Marriott will face the same problem when Bill Marriott leaves the stage. He won't be suceeded by anyone in the family and he has been the one that has set the tone for the Marriott culture for 30-35 years. It's certainly a difficult situation. In 'Reds speak', it's sort of like being the catcher that had to repalce Johnny Bench----no matter how good you are, you're always in his shadow.

Rem

have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    have you ever seen a grown man naked?
    Joey... Do you like gladiator movies?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I like Southwest's willingness to crack some jokes. I've been on flights where the pilots tell some good lines.

A few winters ago, I was taking a late night Frontier flight out of Denver to Dayton. Denver had recently got some snow and connecting flights were late getting into Denver. So we sat on the tarmac to wait for the last few passengers to get there. The flight attendants had already gone through the safety briefing when a few passengers began to trickle onto the plane. Every time a new passenger boarded, the flight attendant had to repeat the briefing. She probably had to do this six or seven times and each time she said it faster and faster and ad libbed more and more.

Her last round went something like this. "Yay safety! Blah blah blah blah, you can all go to sleep now. Happy napping."
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    My complaint with WN is that they seem to be dismantleing a very successful business model (originated by Herb Kelleher, a marketing genius) for for a very dubious model (adminstrated by Gary Kelly, a beancounter that has no idea about making the customer happy).
    How can this be? I've been told that as long as you are a great manager of one department, you'll be a great manager of another.

Turn Off Ads?