Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91

Thread: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

  1. #31
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,640

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    While I can appreicate the newspaper afficanados,
    Aficionados? I think you're on to something there. The newspaper will come to be for people like the audiophiles who want the analog version.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,149

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Newspapers' demise will accelerate this year as the economy falters. It will probably be one of the first things people cut out of their discretionary expenses.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  4. #33
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,640

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    It's RedsZone's fault, really. When I was a kid I got my baseball news from the paper. Now I get it from a bunch of knuckleheads on the Internet.

  5. #34
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,627

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Newspapers are great if you want to read yesterdays news
    If I haven't read it yet then it's still news to me.

  6. #35
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It's RedsZone's fault, really. When I was a kid I got my baseball news from the paper. Now I get it from a bunch of knuckleheads on the Internet.
    That's me too. I usto read the paper, but even if I don't want to know about some NBA trade, I get it on here.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  7. #36
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    what most people don't know is just how profitable a newspaper typically is. It's one of the more profitable businesses in America - Media companies still make 8-10% profit a year in down markets, twice that when times are good. If they'd re-invest that into their product rather than fattening their wallets - we wouldn't be talking about why they are a dying industry.

    I got laid off from one paper because we didn't hit our 12% profit for the year and the newsroom had to be cut by 50 employees. Not that we lost money - it's just that 9% profit for the year was too far off the 12% goal and heads had to roll. That's a great feeling - here is your pink slip because you didn't make our stockholders enough money last year - but thanks for that 9%.

  8. #37
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,640

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Yes, for most of the nation's history, Wall Street wasn't the way we got our news. Local cranks and pamphleteers, a printer who wanted to keep his press busy, rich local families and Mark Cuban-type egos. Print newspapers are going to have to find non-Wall Street models.

    My job is to be a newspaper's Paul DePodesta. I predict print newspapers will be around for a while, on a smaller scale, like suburban weeklies and shoppers, plus Sunday newspaper flagships, for people who want the reading experience. Meanwhile, we'll get more news than ever, digitally.

  9. #38
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    My uncle was a newspaper editor, and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for all the history and tradition of the newspaper business.

    One of my favorite parts of HBO's "Deadwood" was the look at the local one man newspaper office.

    I don't get a daily anymore, though. I can't imagine what it would be like without the Sunday NY Times, though.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    272

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    USA Today has increased to $1.00/day effective 12/8. I'm finding it harder to justify paying that price but I'm a newspaper junkie. I just don't like the format of reading it online.

  11. #40
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Yes, for most of the nation's history, Wall Street wasn't the way we got our news. Local cranks and pamphleteers, a printer who wanted to keep his press busy, rich local families and Mark Cuban-type egos. Print newspapers are going to have to find non-Wall Street models.

    My job is to be a newspaper's Paul DePodesta. I predict print newspapers will be around for a while, on a smaller scale, like suburban weeklies and shoppers, plus Sunday newspaper flagships, for people who want the reading experience. Meanwhile, we'll get more news than ever, digitally.
    What I find interesting is that our local city paper, a suburban weekly, went to a business model whereby it just started putting papers in everybody's mailbox for free. Apparently, it's ad sales went up so much that it was actually able to add a Wednesday edition to its normal Saturday publication. The other thing it started to do was share columnists with the other suburban papers so that it only had its beat writers and editors as its staff. The result is that we get a lot more information on the goings on at city hall, the school board, and the high school sports teams, and a regionalized focus to columns, entertainment and lifestyle offerings.

    On another topic, I think one issue that affects newspapers is the recycling problem. I like reading my news online because I don't have to worry about stacks of newsprint at home each week that I have to deal with by putting out with the recycling. When I had a daily subscription, I felt like I was wasting so much paper to read the few articles and columns I hadn't already seen online.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  12. #41
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,043

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    News is 24/7 now. Print newspapers can't accommodate that, at least not in the traditional format.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  13. #42
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,638

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    News is 24/7 now. Print newspapers can't accommodate that, at least not in the traditional format.
    Ridiculous.

    "24/7 News" usually consists of some combination of the following:

    A "news presenter" reading headlines.
    A "reporter" giving 30-40 second sound bytes from a scene.
    An "analysis" segment that consists of one mouthpiece from one side, one mouthpiece from another side, and talking points yelled loudly back and forth.

    All of these things, mind you, are in a national format.

    The mistake newspapers made was trying to compete with this, while scaling back the things the format does well: long-term investigative reporting, in-depth presentation of facts, civil analysis of issues, and extensive local coverage

    The internet and cable television do many things well, but so does a well-run newspaper. Maybe the real problem is that people don't care about those things anymore and would actually rather be shouted at by the TV.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Ridiculous.

    "24/7 News" usually consists of some combination of the following:

    A "news presenter" reading headlines.
    A "reporter" giving 30-40 second sound bytes from a scene.
    An "analysis" segment that consists of one mouthpiece from one side, one mouthpiece from another side, and talking points yelled loudly back and forth.

    All of these things, mind you, are in a national format.

    The mistake newspapers made was trying to compete with this, while scaling back the things the format does well: long-term investigative reporting, in-depth presentation of facts, civil analysis of issues, and extensive local coverage

    The internet and cable television do many things well, but so does a well-run newspaper. Maybe the real problem is that people don't care about those things anymore and would actually rather be shouted at by the TV.

    I think what he means is that you don't have to wait until 8am to get the news while you read your coffee. You get your news all the time. You can go online or turn on Headline news or even go to the same newspapers website and get up to date information at that moment.
    So if you already read todays news then why would you spend 30 minutes reading it tomorrow morning?

  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    I grew up with newspapers. As a 7 year old I was reading through articles even if I had to ask my Mom or Dad what the words ment. At 8 years old I was hooked on baseball. I was growing up in Cleveland, OH and it was 1954 and the Indians were headed to the WS. There was a daily column in the Cleveland Press called 'Indian Items'. It was the first thing that I looked for when I heard the (afternoon) paper thud against the door! In my later years, 10-12, I became that paperboy on a bike deliverying those Cleveland Press editions to 50-60 homes everyday. I felt like I was on a mission!

    Much like WOY I simply like the feel and heft of a newspaper. For years I ate breakfast out, in the same restaurant, and a lot of my enjoyment was taking my time, over breakfast, to read something insightful, odd, editorial, etc.

    I've been in SoCal for almost 30 years now. When I first came here, and for many years after, the LA Times did great in-depth pieces on Sunday. They read like a novel and took almost as much time to read. Now, the staff is cut to the bone and most of what's written would have been regarded as filler or not even published in previous days.

    I still usually pick up a Sunday Times----not for the stories but because the coupons in the paper are almost always worth more than the cost of the newspaper, and by a few bucks at least. However, I now have a couple of internet sites that deliver many of those same coupons to my computer and give me points for things like dining out, airline milage, hotel points and so on when I use them. I do have to wonder how much longer I will be picking up that Sunday L.A. Times.

    Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 12-10-2008 at 09:39 PM.

  16. #45
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,043

    Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think what he means is that you don't have to wait until 8am to get the news while you read your coffee. You get your news all the time. You can go online or turn on Headline news or even go to the same newspapers website and get up to date information at that moment.
    So if you already read todays news then why would you spend 30 minutes reading it tomorrow morning?
    This is what I meant with my comments. I couldn't have said it any better.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25