Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Re: Newspapers - Pick one up before they go away

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think what he means is that you don't have to wait until 8am to get the news while you read your coffee. You get your news all the time. You can go online or turn on Headline news or even go to the same newspapers website and get up to date information at that moment.
    So if you already read todays news then why would you spend 30 minutes reading it tomorrow morning?
    Like Caveat says though, this is why newspapers need to differentiate themselves with more investigative reporting and longer format analysis. But most newspapers have been cutting staff that is capable of doing that sort of thing in the last decade, so I certainly don't expect that to happen.

I suppose the time might come in the next few years where some fairly major cities lose their newspapers, but I have to think leaner replacements might spring up, because even in a down economy there's quite a big of ad revenue to be had for a daily city wide paper.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Detroit newspapers announced today that they're ending home delivery of the Monday-Thursday editions. They'll still be available on the newsstand, but you can only subscribe from Friday-Sunday. Oh, and they're laying off 9% of the papers' workforce, too.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...ess/story.aspx
    /r/reds

Just today, I was thinking about signing up for the Cincy Enquire on Sunday's. I read the Enquire everyday online, but I've always prefered the "real thing". It's a shame what's happening to newspapers, but I'm not sure how you stop it. Their dying a slow death and I've definitely contributed to their demise.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

A Baseball specific analysis from FanGraphs:

Thoughts On Baseball Media
    by Dave Cameron - 2/27/2009 - Comments (25)

Today, the Rocky Mountain News published their final edition. Scripps, their owner, couldn't find a buyer who wanted into the struggling newspaper business, and so Denver has become a single paper town. This will happen shortly in Seattle as well, where the Seattle Post Intelligencer will cease printing in a month or so. The San Francisco Chronicle is in a similar position and is unlikely to survive 2009, which will leave San Francisco without a daily newspaper.

Meanwhile, yesterday, Newsday announced that they are moving away from a free web content system towards a subscriber-pay system in an effort to generate more revenue.

For journalists, the world is changing, and it's changing very quickly. The old business models don't work anymore, as the internet has conditioned people to expect significant content to be delivered online for no additional cost beyond what they pay their local ISP. With ad revenues plunging, media companies simply haven't been able to find a way to make money. Without profit, there's no viable business, and the resources we enjoy go away.

With the Rocky Mountain News folding today, it got me thinking - where is the online baseball community headed? Between The Hardball Times and blogs like ours here at FanGraphs and Tango's work at The Book Blog, there is a remarkable flow of tremendous content being put out simply for the sake of improving the quality of baseball knowledge available. For guys like Studes or Tango, this isn't their career - it's a hobby, and something they do because they love it.

The same goes true, I would suspect, for most of the new analysts we've seen rise up in various sites over the last year or two. From guys like Sean Smith to Sky Kalkman, Colin Wyers, Josh Kalk, Mike Fast, and all the rest, there is a deep well of talent that is advancing baseball knowledge for everyone. And they're doing it without charging for their efforts.

Much like the open source movement in software, there's been a revolution in the baseball community. The best content available isn't being written in books or newspapers, or even behind subscription walls that require payments to access - the best knowledge available is free to everyone who wants it.

And, while it's sad to watch newspapers fold and business models fail, it's exciting to be living in an age where anyone who wants to educate themselves on the game can do so.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Growing up my main source of income was delivering the paper. Many a found memories.

But the times, they are a changing, and there just isn't that great of a demand for newspapers anymore (as far as the main source for people's news).

It's also why network news has also been struggling. It use to be the normal routine for my parents when I growing up that after dinner you didn't bother them when the news came on at 6. Just not like that as much anymore.

I got up early this morning, brewed a pot of coffee, and in less then an hour, thanks to the internet, have browsed the world getting my morning fill of all the news I need to know from politics, sports, entertainment, etc., etc.

I like going to my home page (Google), click on news at the top, and go from there.

And you don't have to worry about getting ink all over you either.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

My experience with the Stanford story this month, has shown me that the mainstream media has a hard time covering a story and that print has absolutely no possibility of covering anything that is time-sensitive. Forget about breaking a story anymore.

My research paper on Stanford was all over the blogs a full WEEK before many of newspapers had caught wind of even what was going on.

I had reporters call me or email me saying "I still don't understand what this bank has done wrong" when all the bloggers (and blog followers) knew what was going on in Antigua (the bank was being put into receivership) and that it was a multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme.

Part of that is because of legal constraints as lawyers dominate the pressroom, part because of the reporting/editing process and there simply aren't many savvy reporters as many have left this dying industry.

There could still be a place for the Sunday paper, but as a coupon carrier, a travel guide, a community bulletin board, etc. A magazine.

The NEWSpaper as such is dead.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    My experience with the Stanford story this month, has shown me that the mainstream media has a hard time covering a story and that print has absolutely no possibility of covering anything that is time-sensitive. Forget about breaking a story anymore.

My research paper on Stanford was all over the blogs a full WEEK before many of newspapers had caught wind of even what was going on.

I had reporters call me or email me saying "I still don't understand what this bank has done wrong" when all the bloggers (and blog followers) knew what was going on in Antigua (the bank was being put into receivership) and that it was a multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme.

Part of that is because of legal constraints as lawyers dominate the pressroom, part because of the reporting/editing process and there simply aren't many savvy reporters as many have left this dying industry.

There could still be a place for the Sunday paper, but as a coupon carrier, a travel guide, a community bulletin board, etc. A magazine.

I couldn't agree more with your analysis.

As you said, it's not useful for timely information anymore. When you combine that with the fact that the blogosphere covers the stories from more angles and with a deeper level of understanding, it's easy to see why daily newspapers are slowly fading away.
    Last edited by durl; 02-28-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post

Yep.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I think paper has its place. Nothing beats a bagel and a bloody mary over the Sunday NYTimes. That particular publication has always been more like a weekly magazine to me, in that it doesn't necessarily need to be "timely" in the same way that online news is.
    It has always functioned as a vehicle for closing out the week for me and I also continue to appreciate the format.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I've said this elsewhere, and it may have been said somewhere in this thread, but for everyone saying that "newspapers are dead" and "there is no such thing as a breaking news story in a newspaper" and blah blah blah, just remember there's not a whole lot of bloggers out there independently going out to report the news, without getting it from somewhere else (newspapers?) first. And if you ever want to know what's going on in your community, without a newspaper you better hope you have some REALLY good local bloggers or TV reporters to rely on. Or the time to go to council and school board meetings yourself.

If you don't care about such things, that's fine. It is, however, something that would be sorely missed if gone, IMO, and you won't even realize that until it is gone.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

My local paper laid off 30% of it's newsroom staff last week as part of a 125-person layoff.

I agree with RosieRed. I don't want to have to trust the TV and radio media to cover local politics, because I know from my time working in a TV newsroom that they won't do it as well or with the depth and tenacity that the newspaper does.
    /r/reds

I get most of my news from NPR these days. They almost always report international events before any of the US mainstream media. To balance things out I spend time with the BBC, CNN and skimming various websites (including those of major dailies). All that said, I will be depressed when newspapers finally die. I love picking up the local paper whenever I visit a new city, it gives me a taste of the local flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I love picking up the local paper whenever I visit a new city, it gives me a taste of the local flavor.
    I totally agree 1869.

If I'm going to a new city I usually try to view various sites about it on the internet. But, there is nothing like picking up a newspaper, once you get there, and see the ads, the style and the sense of a community that a particular city has. Somehow that has always come through better for me when I've got a newspaper in my hand and I'm standing in the middle of the town square.

Rem

"The San Francisco Chronicle is in a similar position and is unlikely to survive 2009, which will leave San Francisco without a daily newspaper."

That's wrong. SF has the Examiner which a few years ago became a free tabloid. Its been successful. But part of that relies on mass transit. You need something to read on the train.

Most newspapers would do well to emulate this. That plus a nonfree big Sunday edition and online content could work.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    "The San Francisco Chronicle is in a similar position and is unlikely to survive 2009, which will leave San Francisco without a daily newspaper."

That's wrong. SF has the Examiner which a few years ago became a free tabloid. Its been successful. But part of that relies on mass transit. You need something to read on the train.

Most newspapers would do well to emulate this. That plus a nonfree big Sunday edition and online content could work.
    That is the model in Europe. You pick up your paper as you board the metro in Madrid or by the Bahnhof in Zurich. Yes, it's free.

Of course, this generates a different problem. Cities are already thinking of slapping a tax on these free newspapers due to the refuse problem they cause.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?