Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refreshed: 2 guys I'd still be targeting

Refreshed: 2 guys I'd still be targeting

Recycling an older offseason rumor just because they have been raised once again halfway through spring training, I'd really like to see the Reds acquire two players currently being shopped around: Chris Capuano from Milwaukee and Taylor Teagarden from Texas.

Here are two articles written this week about the players' availability:

Teagarden:

According to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan, the Rangers don't plan on trading catcher Gerald Laird despite some interested parties. In fact, Laird could catch 100+ games this year despite last year's Jarrod Saltalamacchia acquisition. Salty could take a smaller role with the big club or get some Triple A seasoning. It's easy to forget that he skipped that level.

The Rangers prefer Laird's strong defense and spotty offense to Salty's subpar defense and offensive potential. And it's not fair to write Laird off offensively quite yet; he hit well in a half-season in '06. '07 was his first year catching full-time.

The Rangers have a third future MLB-quality backstop in Taylor Teagarden. They've also got Cristian Santana and Max Ramirez in the organization, two guys who are less certain to become starting catchers in the bigs. Interesting prospects nonetheless. Jon Daniels has an uncommon surplus on his hands.

Capuano:

Capuano to the Red Sox?

Could Chris Capuano be traded to the Red Sox? Eli at MLB Rumors thinks so.

I'd be surprised if the Brewers don't make some sort of deal involving pitching before Opening Day and Capuano might need a change of scenery. Plus, he probably still has more value than Bush or Vargas despite major struggles after May last season and a poor spring training so far.

The Sox have been rumored to be looking for a pitcher, but the buzz is that they are shopping Coco Crisp. Crisp, a center fielder, does not fit with the Brewers.

What do you think Brewer fans, would a couple of prospects be enough for Cappy? Here are the Red Sox top prospects, according to SoxProspects.com.

-------

Now, what would it take to get these two? Presumably not much, considering their current teams' surplusses at their two positions. The Rangers have an ailing rotation according to this article, which actually suggests them pursuing Capuano:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....46882fb7.html

The Brew Crew on the other hand, is pretty set at all of its positions and rotation, so they presumably would be looking for bullpen help and/or prospects. So here's what I would suggest:

Offer Josh Fogg and Gary Majewski to Texas for Teagarden, who is stuck at third in the organizational depth chart. With Gerald Laird penciled in to start 100+ games this year behind the plate, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia clearly their catcher of the future, Teagarden's future is bleak in Dallas. As the above article suggested, Texas is desperate for some healthy big league arms, particularly after jettisoning Volquez and the injuries to McCarthy, Padilla, and Millwood. Fogg and Majewski would provide them with a "cortisone shot" of healthy arms, at least until their normal pitchers are healthy. Krivsky and Daniels have already struck one deal together (that so far looks good for both sides,) could they make magic together one more time before the season begins? If so, Teagarden would give the Reds a promising catcher for the next six years, at least until Mesoraco is ready... :

Then, I would offer Todd Coffey (and/or Mike Stanton) as well as Juan Francisco for Chris Capuano. Capuano is to the Brewers what Ryan Freel is to the Reds at this point: a superflous player that could benefit from a change in scenery. Coffey could possibly benefit from the change of scenery as well, and in a lot of people's minds, Francisco's value might never be higher than it is now. However Brewers GM Doug Melvin salivates over Francisco-type players: light-tower power guys with no clear defensive position. Just look at recent acquistions Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, and Matt LaPorta. And don't forget Geoff Jenkins, Jeromy Burnitz, and Matt Stairs. I would then start Capuano as the #5 in the rotation behind Harang, Arroyo, Belisle and Cueto, while beginning the season with Volquez in the 'pen. If Volquez performs and Capuano flops, I would switch them up by Memorial Day. In the meantime, Capuano provides the rotation with a veteran lefty while Volquez gains seasoning and builds confidence in the 'pen. I personally believe Capuano could bounce back and return to 2006 form, but at worst he is a better alternative to Josh Fogg.

Majewski, Coffey, and/or Stanton are all excess parts of a bullpen that is much improved without them. Personally, I would like to see them go north with a pen of Affeldt, Bray, Volquez, Burton, Weathers, and Cordero. If Bray starts on the DL, then let Coutlangous take his place.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-12-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Refreshed: 2 guys I'd still be targeting

With the Reds signing Fogg as a free agent is there a time limitation on his being traded or is that only if there is a multiyear contract? or does that not exist anymore?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    With the Reds signing Fogg as a free agent is there a time limitation on his being traded or is that only if there is a multiyear contract? or does that not exist anymore?

I thought he couldn't get traded until the middle of May or something.

I doubt that the Brewers will trade a starting pitcher within the division unless the return meets their immediate needs to a T. And minor league players wouldn't do that.

I do like your thoughts on both of these acquistions.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I thought he couldn't get traded until the middle of May or something.

You may be right about that. They were talking about when Pudge Rodriguez signed with DET he was going to be traded back to FLA but it couldn't happen till May or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

June 15th, unless the rule is different, or its a minor league contract for Fogg.

I do like both targets though, particularly the young catcher, we need one.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I would go after Teagarden in a heartbeat but I don't think Fogg and Maj will get it done.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    I would go after Teagarden in a heartbeat but I don't think Fogg and Maj will get it done.
    Fogg and Maj wouldn't bring a bag of used baseballs.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    That would be like trading a half torn One dollar bill and a half torn Five dollar bill for a nice new Twenty.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

So what do you think it would take to get Teagarden? Keeping in mind they desperately need pitching and he's trapped behind Laird and Salty on the depth chart.

Maybe Bill Bray, Majewski, and a mid-level prospect like Carlos Fisher could get it done? With the additions of Affeldt, Fogg, and perhaps Capuano, Bray could be expendable if only he was healthy (and I like Bill Bray.) At the very least, that might somewhat help rectify The Trade.
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-12-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So what do you think it would take to get Teagarden? Keeping in mind they desperately need pitching and he's trapped behind Laird and Salty on the depth chart.

Maybe Bill Bray, Majewski, and a mid-level prospect like Carlos Fisher could get it done? With the additions of Affeldt, Fogg, and perhaps Capuano, Bray could be expendable if only he was healthy (and I like Bill Bray.) At the very least, that might somewhat help rectify The Trade.
    I would be surprised if Stubbs was not part of a trade to the Rangers. They are stocked at pitcher aren't they?

(Doug, are you out there... somewhere? )

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I would be surprised if Stubbs was not part of a trade to the Rangers. They are stocked at pitcher aren't they?

(Doug, are you out there... somewhere? )
    Definitely not stocked in the higher minors. If you want to go down to 1A, then they have a lot of arms with potential, but that's a big risk.

To the original poster, I don't think the proposals will work. They're too 1-sided and I think at this point, unless the Reds can move Fogg, Capuano doesn't make a lot of sense. I wonder if the Reds/Brew Crew would be willing to swap Capuano for Belisle straight up? That'd be an interesting trade idea.

I don't read too many message boards of teams other than the Reds, but I'd imagine that Teagarden is a target of pretty much every club and wouldn't be had cheaply at all. As for Chris Capuano, his stock might be at its lowest right now, and I don't see him being traded in the immediate future.

Benihana
    Offer Josh Fogg and Gary Majewski to Texas for Teagarden, who is stuck at third in the organizational depth chart. With Gerald Laird penciled in to start 100+ games this year behind the plate, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia clearly their catcher of the future, Teagarden's future is bleak in Dallas. As the above article suggested, Texas is desperate for some healthy big league arms, particularly after jettisoning Volquez and the injuries to McCarthy, Padilla, and Millwood. Fogg and Majewski would provide them with a "cortisone shot" of healthy arms, at least until their normal pitchers are healthy. Krivsky and Daniels have already struck one deal together (that so far looks good for both sides,) could they make magic together one more time before the season begins? If so, Teagarden would give the Reds a promising catcher for the next six years, at least until Mesoraco is ready...
    Didn't the Rangers deal with the Reds for Hamilton from a strength they have organizationally in their pitching?

Why would they want Fogg and Maj?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

The Rangers are extremely pitching-thin at the major league level. Their three best arms, Millwood, Padilla, and McCarthy are all battling injuries this spring. Volquez is gone. That leaves them with Kason Gabbard and a bunch of question marks. We may have to pony up more for Teagarden. I'm guessing they would want Belisle.

As far as Capuano goes, all indications are he will be switching teams in the next month. It is a classic buy-low opportunity. I agree that without moving one of the current veterans, Capuano may be hard to justify, but I would take the chance. Belisle is a little steep, but any one (or two) of our veteran bullpen arms could go in my book. Throw in any mid-level prospect, and I'm sure you could get Capuano.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm not sure how many people have been following Capuano this spring, but he's been beyond dreadful. It's easy to say "it's just spring training," but seeing how bad he was last year, I think it's pretty important that he get off to a sound start.

Turn Off Ads?